Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SonosController is stuck in a loop, nothing is helping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SonosController is stuck in a loop, nothing is helping...

Hi there,

So for whatever reason, the entire log is filled with various errors from the sonos controller plug-in.

Here's a sample of what half the log looks like:

I'm not sure what is happening, but it's been doing this for about 2 days.

Any help here? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

I've also tried manually resetting 7 of my 9 zones (2 of them I cannot immediately get to), but the errors just come back.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      I've also tried manually resetting 7 of my 9 zones (2 of them I cannot immediately get to), but the errors just come back.
      The homeseer PC is losing communication with the players. So either the PC is hosed (so try restarting HS first, that doesn't help, restart HS PC) or your network has a problem. The network problem could be between just your HS PC and the rest of the network or the overall network.

So which type of PC is running HS and which OS?
      Is your network wired or wireless. If wireless you may have network interference, if wired, it could be a switch/router or cable issue.
      It could be a firewall on your HS PC. Are the players playing properly, if not, you probably have network issues.

Dirk

Comment

I've tried resetting HomeSeer and the HomeSeer machine as well, but to no avail. I'm running Windows XP Tablet Edition on an old Tablet PC with 4Gb of RAM and a 500Gb HDD. The thing is, all my zone players and HomeSeer/peripherals are wired to the same switch (except 2 zone players that are working fine on wireless and 3 bridges). Also, this 9 zone setup worked fine for about 3 months until a few days ago.

Here is another problem I'm having:

I'm not sure why this is happening, as I can play music in the Playroom from my iPhones/iPads and all my controllers, too, but it seems HomeSeer cannot connect.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Does it show up immediately after restarting the PC or after a while? When it happens, have you started the task manager and inspected memory, CPU and handles? Which PI version are you using and which HS version.

Can you go to the Sonos PI config screen and turn the "show failing pings" flag on (don't forget to save)
          , would be interested whether failing pings is the cause or the UPnP subsystem times out. Did you try to reset the switch? Did you check the port on your PC, is it running 100Mbps or 10Mbps or Half duplex (HD) instead of full duplex (FD). The latter could indicate a cable/connector issue. Of course a firewall could be part of the problem.

Any new plugins or applications that were installed on this PC or in your network recently?

Dirk

Comment

I've tried resetting HomeSeer and the HomeSeer machine as well, but to no avail. I'm running Windows XP Tablet Edition on an old Tablet PC with 4Gb of RAM and a 500Gb HDD. The thing is, all my zone players and HomeSeer/peripherals are wired to the same switch (except 2 zone players that are working fine on wireless and 3 bridges). Also, this 9 zone setup worked fine for about 3 months until a few days ago.

Here is another problem I'm having:

I'm not sure why this is happening, as I can play music in the Playroom from my iPhones/iPads and all my controllers, too, but it seems HomeSeer cannot connect.

Thanks for the help!
            Actually this log only shows problems with the playroom player only, is that player on-line? Is that a wired or wireless player? Do you have the re-discovery of players turned on or off (in Sonos PI conf page)? If you have rediscovery turned off, make sure the player is on-line and hit the rediscovery button in the HS setup page. One scenario I can think off is that the IP address of this player changed (I assume you use DHCP assigned addressed) which would confuse the PI as it pings a devices that responds but that device is not the player and as a result, it fails to establish a UPnP connection. The rediscovery or restart of HS, assuming the player is reachable when you restart/rediscover should take care of that.

Dirk

Comment

It usually starts happening a few hours after the PC is on.

When it happens, the CPU level is low, usually still below 10%.

I am running Plug-In number 1.0.0.79 on HomeSeer Professional Edition 2.5.0.52

I have tried resetting the switch, modem, router, extender, etc, to no avail.

Nothing new installed on my PC and the only new things on the network are 3 Global Cache Wifi2IR boxes I put in last week. Maybe they're the problem?

Comment

I am running Plug-In number 1.0.0.79 on HomeSeer Professional Edition 2.5.0.52

I have tried resetting the switch, modem, router, extender, etc, to no avail.

Nothing new installed on my PC and the only new things on the network are 3 Global Cache Wifi2IR boxes I put in last week. Maybe they're the problem?
                If you are still on PI version 79 then you don't have the option to turn of re-discovery, so that means it is always on.

I don't see a reason why adding the Global Cache devices would cause an issue, unless it hoses up the wireless players. The only thing you can check is an issue that got reported here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...743#post994743 where the global cache plugin seems to use the Sonos PI device codes .....

Dirk

Comment

by the way, configure your task manager to also show "handles". When using XP, there is a known issue where the rediscoveries will cause the handle count to go up, that's why re-discoveries were made configurable in version (I believe) v.81 and that's why you may want to consider upgrading the PI version and (when on XP) turn the re-discovery option off.
                  It could have nothing to do with handles, but adding the Global Cache device, which I assume had you install a new plugin, the combined (including HS v.52 which some claim have problems) could be triggering it.

Dirk

Comment

Ah ok. When I get home I will see if there is a high handle count. Also, I just remotely restarted HomeSeer and it seems that maybe the Global Cache devices ARE the issue? Here's another screenshot from the log with Show Pings enabled;

Comment

Ah ok. When I get home I will see if there is a high handle count. Also, I just remotely restarted HomeSeer and it seems that maybe the Global Cache devices ARE the issue? Here's another screenshot from the log with Show Pings enabled;
                      Judging from this, your PC has no network connectivity or the firewall/anti-virus prevents the HS application from accessing the network. Alternatively, could the GC PI somehow hog your network port, it could be but my best bet would be that the GC PI errors indicate the same problem the Sonos PI as being network port issues on this PC. One other thing to try is to increase the failing ping count to, let's say 10 or 20 and see if there a just periods where the network appears unavailable. For example, it could be that the GC PI hogs the ping subsystem and causing other pings to fail. Deactivating the GC PI could prove that out .....

Dirk

Comment

I will deactivate the GC Plugin and let you know in a few...

If that doesn't solve anything, I will reset the network when I get home.

thanks for all your help!

Comment

So after resetting the network, checking the port status, disabling the UltraGCIR plug in, etc, I'm still getting the errors. Anything else to suggest?

Comment

So after resetting the network, checking the port status, disabling the UltraGCIR plug in, etc, I'm still getting the errors. Anything else to suggest?
                            Do you have errors from all players, one player or some players? It did seem to have changed after you booted some players.

Is it every 10~30 seconds or what is the periodicity? Did you turn the failing ping flag on, what does it show after all these changes?

One other thing to do is to type this URL into your browser (http://xx.xx.xx.xx:1400/support/review ). You will have to substitute the xx's with the IP address of the player. Once the result shows up in your browser, save page as a .htm file and email me that file.

Dirk

Comment

Ok, so a few new developments...

I recently installed a network extender, which seemed to improve network quality throughout the first floor of my home. After removing it, the errors seemed (for now) to have stopped, but the Ping fails keep coming in.

Further, while available from all the controllers, in the /support/review address the Playroom player does not exist. It is also listed as Undefined in the network matrix.

Here is a recent screenshot from the log showing the failed pings:

Comment

Working...
                              X