Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo Sonos control - Solved!

I just saw this: https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos

An Amazon Echo custom skill for controlling sonos. It has a couple of dependiencies, one of them a sonos node.js controller. I used to run this controller before migrating from a different home automation systen to HomeSeer, but because of the HomeSeer Sonos Controller Plug-In I did not need it anymore.

Now, I need this! The question is whether it would be possible to adapt this to using the Sonos HomeSeer plugin (which I already have running), possibly even making for a tighter integration with the plugin, or whether I should just make this a totally separate system from the start (which seems a waste really).

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by diderikfrom View Post
    I just saw this: https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos

An Amazon Echo custom skill for controlling sonos. It has a couple of dependiencies, one of them a sonos node.js controller. I used to run this controller before migrating from a different home automation systen to HomeSeer, but because of the HomeSeer Sonos Controller Plug-In I did not need it anymore.

Now, I need this! The question is whether it would be possible to adapt this to using the Sonos HomeSeer plugin (which I already have running), possibly even making for a tighter integration with the plugin, or whether I should just make this a totally separate system from the start (which seems a waste really).

What do you guys think?
    The simplest way to do this is with the Echo and HS Channels on IFTTT. Either call Sonos device actions directly or setup HS3 events for more complex combinations, then set up the IFTTT recipes to call those with the Echo channel.

Is it perfect? - no. Is it a little long-winded if you want lots of different controls? - yes. Is the "trigger" phrase as annoying as $%#^? - yes

Does it work? Yes and the kids have no end of fun with it.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks for replying. Could you give a few examples of voice commands?

Comment

Originally posted by diderikfrom View Post
        Thanks for replying. Could you give a few examples of voice commands?
        Per

Sure. I actually thought I had a few direct device controls from IFTTT, but it turns out it's all event driven as the Alexa/Echo channel on IFTTT is quite constrained in this manner.

Here's an example where I play a learned Sonos radio station via Alexa:

Cheers
        James
        Attached Files
        cheeryfool

Comment

Thank you so much!
          I got my echo yesterday, and now I have this up and running perfectly.

Comment

I agree this works, and was smart. Thank you for sharing it. However, there is a delay of up to 15 seconds at times (almost certainly due to IFTTT), and that annoying "sending to IFTTT) reply. Has anyone figured out other alternatives?
            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
            X