TTS Volume control and pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTS Volume control and pause

Just started using the PI and I have gotten most of the features I need to work, with a couple of minor exceptions. Running HS3 3.0.0.208, Sonos PI 3.0.0.21 on a dedicated somewhat overpowered Xeon Win10Pro system with nothing else running (yet). Have 8 Sonos devices of various flavors. I have a test script which executes a TTS of a short phrase to one Sonos-PI group. When I trigger the event, it takes about 8-10 seconds then the current Sonos music stream pauses, waits about 2 seconds, plays the TTS very softly, waits about 2 seconds then resumes the music stream.

1) The delays aren't a major issue, but I would like to have the TTS a little more responsive.
    2) Can I control the TTS volume - preferably relative to the music stream - so the message can actually be heard? Currently the speech is almost unintelligible.

Thanks!

Originally posted by GPrade View Post
    Just started using the PI and I have gotten most of the features I need to work, with a couple of minor exceptions. Running HS3 3.0.0.208, Sonos PI 3.0.0.21 on a dedicated somewhat overpowered Xeon Win10Pro system with nothing else running (yet). Have 8 Sonos devices of various flavors. I have a test script which executes a TTS of a short phrase to one Sonos-PI group. When I trigger the event, it takes about 8-10 seconds then the current Sonos music stream pauses, waits about 2 seconds, plays the TTS very softly, waits about 2 seconds then resumes the music stream.

1) The delays aren't a major issue, but I would like to have the TTS a little more responsive.
    2) Can I control the TTS volume - preferably relative to the music stream - so the message can actually be heard? Currently the speech is almost unintelligible.

Thanks!
    In the linkgrouptable, on the Sonos Config page, you can set the volume for each individual player per linkgroup.

The response seems a bit slow but the delay goes up non-linear with the amount of players you have AND is impacted as well by the network/BW of how the players are connected. Example: if I tell player Kitchen to group with player Living Room, Sonos will tell ALL players about this change so you see the non-linear effect to group 8 players and the amount of messaging that will briefly go on.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
      In the linkgrouptable, on the Sonos Config page, you can set the volume for each individual player per linkgroup.

The response seems a bit slow but the delay goes up non-linear with the amount of players you have AND is impacted as well by the network/BW of how the players are connected. Example: if I tell player Kitchen to group with player Living Room, Sonos will tell ALL players about this change so you see the non-linear effect to group 8 players and the amount of messaging that will briefly go on.

Dirk
      Dirk, thanks for the prompt reply. Unless I am missing something, the volume of the music stream is fine - it's the relative volume of the TTS that I need to adjust. I can hear the music stream fine, it's the TTS that is low. Ideally, it would be good to adjust the TTS volume +/- nn db off the volume of the stream. Thus you could give "there is a fire in the attic" more emphasis than "the dryer is done".

Comment

Dirk, thanks for the prompt reply. Unless I am missing something, the volume of the music stream is fine - it's the relative volume of the TTS that I need to adjust. I can hear the music stream fine, it's the TTS that is low. Ideally, it would be good to adjust the TTS volume +/- nn db off the volume of the stream. Thus you could give "there is a fire in the attic" more emphasis than "the dryer is done".
        The volume setting IS for the TTS.

There is a help file under Tools->Help->Sonos in case you are confused on the settings in the Linkgroup Table.

Dirk

Comment

Thus you could give "there is a fire in the attic" more emphasis than "the dryer is done".
          You could do that by making 2 link groups, one for "Fire" with very high volume settings on involved players and one "Dryer Done" with average volume setting. You would create separate events using separate link groups. Consult help file to read up on it.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
          X