An Announcement Crashes HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Announcement Crashes HS3?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I am experiencing a HS3 crash when my Drive Up/Down announcement events are triggered. Some of the activity during those events involves the Sonos PI. So I'm trying to understand what exactly is causing the crash, and if there are some clues in the Sonos debug information attached.

The Windows Event Viewer shows me:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 11/1/2016 12:18:22 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Audrey4
    Description:
    Faulting application name: HS3.exe, version: 3.0.0.297, time stamp: 0x57c733ef
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.351, time stamp: 0x5801a3a8
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000d98f1
    Faulting process id: 0x16d8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2319319d65028
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HS3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: a417a8cf-ef05-4d21-9f33-768aeff3598b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Based on what I see from an internet search, the crash may happen because HS3 is asking ntdll.dll to do something it can't do. The Exception code suggests a "heap memory" corruption or problem, apparently caused by an "unspecified application". But this always and only happens during my HS3 Drive Up or Down events.

Basically, the events are triggered when a car drives up or down the driveway - for example, an input change on my Elk panel launches the events for a car driving up the driveway - relevant events are in the attached jpegs. Regarding Sonos, it is simply supposed to play an mp3 file and then speak that a car is coming. A few other events are also called because Sonos House player apparently "stops" and "changes tracks" during the announcements.

The Sonos debug show a lot of stuff happening in a few seconds, and I'm not sure if anything strange is in there that might suggest a reason to crash, or lock up, or do something that calls ntdll.dll and causes a crash. The ntdll crash happens one second after the last HS log entry in the attached file (reverse order btw).

I'm running HS3 (.297) on Windows 10 Pro (version 1607), plugins are latest of BLAB8SS, BLBackup, Blue Iris, Easy Trigger, HSTouch Server, Open Sprinkler, Sonos, UltraM1G, Ultra1Wire, Weather XML and ZWave. I use Chrome as my browser. No other software runs on this PC.

Please help with any insight.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Files
    Mark

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
    I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I am experiencing a HS3 crash when my Drive Up/Down announcement events are triggered. Some of the activity during those events involves the Sonos PI. So I'm trying to understand what exactly is causing the crash, and if there are some clues in the Sonos debug information attached.

The Windows Event Viewer shows me:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 11/1/2016 12:18:22 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Audrey4
    Description:
    Faulting application name: HS3.exe, version: 3.0.0.297, time stamp: 0x57c733ef
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.351, time stamp: 0x5801a3a8
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000d98f1
    Faulting process id: 0x16d8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2319319d65028
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HS3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: a417a8cf-ef05-4d21-9f33-768aeff3598b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Based on what I see from an internet search, the crash may happen because HS3 is asking ntdll.dll to do something it can't do. The Exception code suggests a "heap memory" corruption or problem, apparently caused by an "unspecified application". But this always and only happens during my HS3 Drive Up or Down events.

Basically, the events are triggered when a car drives up or down the driveway - for example, an input change on my Elk panel launches the events for a car driving up the driveway - relevant events are in the attached jpegs. Regarding Sonos, it is simply supposed to play an mp3 file and then speak that a car is coming. A few other events are also called because Sonos House player apparently "stops" and "changes tracks" during the announcements.

The Sonos debug show a lot of stuff happening in a few seconds, and I'm not sure if anything strange is in there that might suggest a reason to crash, or lock up, or do something that calls ntdll.dll and causes a crash. The ntdll crash happens one second after the last HS log entry in the attached file (reverse order btw).

I'm running HS3 (.297) on Windows 10 Pro (version 1607), plugins are latest of BLAB8SS, BLBackup, Blue Iris, Easy Trigger, HSTouch Server, Open Sprinkler, Sonos, UltraM1G, Ultra1Wire, Weather XML and ZWave. I use Chrome as my browser. No other software runs on this PC.

Please help with any insight.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Don't see anything special here. What is the script "music updates.vb" do? Did it restart right after you took this trace? Was this the full trace or did you cut the restarting part out? The above script will run a few seconds after this trace ended.

Does this happen each time the event gets triggered?

The PIs now run as own .exe apps so if they misbehave, the PI itself will crash not HS3. This is not 100% fool proof because it could be something the PI asked HS3 do on their behalf that is the source of the problem.

So my list of items in descending priority to look at would be
    1. scripts
    2. loops that flood events
    3. the PI asks HS3 to do a text-to-speech-to-file which is now using a windows DLL to do that (your text-to-speech function in Win10)
    4. the embedded HS3 webserver who serves the file transfer from the HS computer to the Sonos player. The last 2 items, at least from this trace seem to have completed successfully, so I'm a little less suspicious of that.

Hope this helps a little,

Dirk

Comment

Working...
    X