Feature Request - Change TTS voice via API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request - Change TTS voice via API

Would it be possible to add the ability to set the TTS voice from the plugin API?

I have Neospeech voices Paul and Bridget. Every few days the TTS fails due to the HomeSeer SpeakToFile producing an empty wav file. When this happens, I have found that by changing the squeezebox plugin TTS voice, it usually fixes the SpeakToFile issue.

I raised a HS bug report but it was closed stating "Neo does not allow speaking to a file.". Strange, as it appears to work but only for a short while on any one voice, so this feature would be a kind of workaround for me.

Thanks.

Addendum:
    Or even providing the feature as an event action would allow me to change the TTS voice 'programatically'

You can set the TTS voice in the plugin configuration. Is the request to add an action to change it dynamically from events? If so yes I can look into it and should be feasible.

Comment

Actually when does it appear to break with the Neospeech files (i.e. have a day, N speak to file)? I have the Neo speech files as well and would like to see if I can reproduce it.

Comment

Hi,

Up until now, when it breaks, I have been changing the voice via the squeezebox plugin configuration page. This then fixes it for a while.

What I would like is an API/event action so I can switch voices periodically either via event or script, so hopefully reducing the amount of times this issue occurs.

I don't have any exact figures for N times but it's usually every 3 to 4 days, with approx 5-6 TTS per day.

I can try to reproduce it this weekend and see if it occurs after a set number of TTS calls.

Thanks.

Comment

I think the Paul and Bridget voices I have are the 16k versions, if that makes any difference.

Comment

FWIW, I use the NeoSpeech voices as well and have not seen this issue. I do use the 8k version for the speech proxy (in an effort to speed up processing) and use mp3 files.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Well, I tried to break it this weekend but it continues to work ok. In all now, HS has been up for about a week, averaging 12 or so squeezebox TTS messages on a normal day and it's been ok. (Over the weekend I gave it about 30 TTS messages per day).Prior to this it would only last a day or so, so I don't believe it's after a set uptime or number of calls to TTS.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when the failure occurs so I would still like this feature, if it's not too much trouble.

After running for almost 2 weeks without issue, including a weekend where I made many additional calls on TTS, it stopped working again. (this was after being away for a few days so it wasn't making any TTS calls at all).
                I changed the voice in the plugin and it started working again, as expected. This time it lasted only a day or so before I had to change the voice again.

If I had this feature to change the voice by API, I could schedule a voice change every day.

Comment

I have just seen the new option to set TTS voice in the event actions in 3.1.2.10 - much appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X