How do RFID tags work with Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do RFID tags work with Homeseer?

Just wondering how they actually integrate and operate with Homeseer.

For example, if I have an RFID reader in the loft and an active tag in the car, when my car comes in range of the reader and the reader scans the tag, does the tag continue to get scanned every X seconds until its out of range again?

If so, does this mean that every successful scan of the tag sends a status update to Homeseer? So perhaps every 3-5 seconds the status updates in Homeseer?

If so, what do the events look like that deal with proximity events?

Thanks

Originally posted by SmartyPants View Post
    Just wondering how they actually integrate and operate with Homeseer.

For example, if I have an RFID reader in the loft and an active tag in the car, when my car comes in range of the reader and the reader scans the tag, does the tag continue to get scanned every X seconds until its out of range again?

If so, does this mean that every successful scan of the tag sends a status update to Homeseer? So perhaps every 3-5 seconds the status updates in Homeseer?

If so, what do the events look like that deal with proximity events?

Thanks
    I am using BLRFID. I have a receiver in my garage and transmitter in each car. Each transmitter is powered by the car's electricity, which goes off when the ignition is turned off, thus turning off the transmitters. This works pretty well in combination with events that set flags (virtual devices) when each is in range or out of range. For example, I have a flag for my Ford that turns on (home), when the transmitter is in range and the Ford flag has been set to away for at least 5 minutes. When the ignition is turned on in the garage and the transmissions begin, when it then goes out of range, an event sets the Ford to away, provided that the Ford device has been home for at least 5 minutes. I have all this set to work with thermostats, garage door (open and close), security system (disarmed), and home entry lock (unlocked or locked). I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have questions. Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

I am using BLRFID. I have a receiver in my garage and transmitter in each car. Each transmitter is powered by the car's electricity, which goes off when the ignition is turned off, thus turning off the transmitters. This works pretty well in combination with events that set flags (virtual devices) when each is in range or out of range. For example, I have a flag for my Ford that turns on (home), when the transmitter is in range and the Ford flag has been set to away for at least 5 minutes. When the ignition is turned on in the garage and the transmissions begin, when it then goes out of range, an event sets the Ford to away, provided that the Ford device has been home for at least 5 minutes. I have all this set to work with thermostats, garage door (open and close), security system (disarmed), and home entry lock (unlocked or locked). I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have questions. Elliott
      Thanks. But how does homeseer know that the Ford is in garage and not away, as in both scenarios there is no transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartyPants View Post

Thanks. But how does homeseer know that the Ford is in garage and not away, as in both scenarios there is no transmission.
        It is the logic of the event for setting the device. You start all this by setting the device manually (home or away). So, for example, if the Ford is set manually to home AND it as been in that state for at least 5 minutes, another event knows that when it goes out of range, it has left home and the device is set to away. When it comes back in range AND the device state has been away from home for at least 5 minutes, another event knows that it is returning. This sometimes gets messed up and you have to reset it manually. For example, if I pull the car out of the garage and park it in the driveway for more than 5 minutes and then put it back in the garage, these events would think it is away and not home. Hope this helps.

Comment

Curious, can the unit in your car be wired on all the time? Does it draw much power?
          Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.548
          Hometroller S6 | Devices: 832 | Events: 211
          Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .252 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
          BLLAN | BLPLEX | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blur-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
            Curious, can the unit in your car be wired on all the time? Does it draw much power?
            If your vehicle is used regular and it's not got a battery on its last legs, it should be fine. I'm powering a diy hack transmitter from car battery. Probably draws about 10ma or so when not transmitting. Set transmission times between 5-10 seconds or 3 seconds if it must. But make sure you have an oscillating signal and not on permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

It is the logic of the event for setting the device. You start all this by setting the device manually (home or away). So, for example, if the Ford is set manually to home AND it as been in that state for at least 5 minutes, another event knows that when it goes out of range, it has left home and the device is set to away. When it comes back in range AND the device state has been away from home for at least 5 minutes, another event knows that it is returning. This sometimes gets messed up and you have to reset it manually. For example, if I pull the car out of the garage and park it in the driveway for more than 5 minutes and then put it back in the garage, these events would think it is away and not home. Hope this helps.
              Ok Cheers.

My method which I'm only just playing with sends a signal from the vehicle every 5 seconds regardless. But it's not garages it's on the drive.
              This allows me to have two events monitoring the signal state and setting home/away accordingly. No signal means away. A signal means home. Though I think I may setup a device to switch off transmission when the van reaches over x mph so that it's not transmitting all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
                The unit is generally run on batteries, which would keep it on all the time. What I am doing with the car's electrical system was my solution to the issue that I had with reliability. I am using a GlobalCache wifi to serial device for the RFID receiver. Sometimes this device gets dropped. If the transmitter were on all the time and the connection got dropped, Homeseer would see this as the car gone from the garage. When and if the connection came back, Homeseer would think that the car returned.

Comment

I recently did some DIY prototype work with RFID described in https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/rf...133-rfid-in-uk for "Cheapest RFID". This was prompted by the relative high price of the CheaperRFID that was prevalent in the prior decade. It is also described in http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf as part of the mcsMQTT plugin.

Power consumption is not much of a concern for a car use case. I think I included power evaluation for the dry cell use case.

Comment

Working...
                  X