Looking to detect signal from cars keyfob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to detect signal from cars keyfob

There are no shortages of posts on vehicle detection but for now I'd like to start by detecting my cars RFID keyfob.

The idea is that if the fob is detected it would unlock the interior door from the garage which is a secure zone. I am thinking if this is do able, I could live with one less key in my pocket.

Do any of you know if there is any hardware that can decode these type of fobs and provide a signal output or RS232? Are they actually similar to other RFIDs ?

I looked for the FCC-ID numbers for the FOB but can't find them anywhere which I thought was unusual. The FCC declarations might have revealed some interesting tidbits.

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
    There are no shortages of posts on vehicle detection but for now I'd like to start by detecting my cars RFID keyfob.

The idea is that if the fob is detected it would unlock the interior door from the garage which is a secure zone. I am thinking if this is do able, I could live with one less key in my pocket.

Do any of you know if there is any hardware that can decode these type of fobs and provide a signal output or RS232? Are they actually similar to other RFIDs ?

I looked for the FCC-ID numbers for the FOB but can't find them anywhere which I thought was unusual. The FCC declarations might have revealed some interesting tidbits.

I think this would make the security of the FOB useless.

Comment

You might be able to detect the near field feature which turns on exterior lights when you are close, if you can has that. Others have used DIY RFID tags they put on their keychain. There is a thread from a few years ago regarding that. Intercepting a push button could be doable but do you want to? All of this may be generic to any fob as I don't think you are going to intercept and match up the rolling security ID associated with the units.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I have a Sonoff RF bridge that does 433 mhz to WiFi MQTT. The SDR will be able to detect it but I am not familiar enough in using it for automation. if I remember I will try tonight.

Comment

I think I misunderstood original request. What you are first looking for is keyfob presence detection and not button push. Then it emulate the door open RF transmit to unlock the door.

I also looked and saw USA is 315 Mhz and the rest of the world is 433 Mhz.

Comment

Hi guys, so my fob must be a long range unit as it needs to be within 24 inches of one of the detectors in the car to either unlock the hatch, doors or start the vehicle.

I am not looking to catch the button preseses, only the prescense of the fob. I am hoping that I'll be able to find a detector that would give me a similar 24 inch range.

I suppose I could use a reader that the car uses. There should be at least 3 of them on my vehicle. This does make me wonder if it uses a few dumb readers and one central decoder, or a few smart readers.

Anyway if I can recognize that my fob is near the door I would have HS unlock it.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Comment

24" for an unlock or remote start? Might try changing the batteries.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I used 24" as an example of the range. It is likely farther than that. If I leave the car powered on and take a few step away with my fob, it falls out of range and chimes an alert.

So any thoughts on what kind of reader I would need to catch the fobs signal?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X