501 Tag Lifespan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

501 Tag Lifespan

Anyone had a 501 tag die? I have had my oldest 2 tags now for 2 years, Last week one of them just wasn't being seen, now this morning the other one is "leaving and arriving" constantly. Both of these tags are on the windshields of my vehicles. We started having our cooler fall temps (low 20's) and I am wondering if I have reached the useful life of the battery. My vehicles stay outside and with the high UV of the Arizona sun in the summer and the cold of our winter. I know the specs of the tags say 3 - 5 years, so I am wondering what lifespan others have seen

Jack
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

My are still chugging, but their definitely weaker after about a year. I don't know about yours, but mine were anywhere from 8 months to almost a year old the day I received them. If mine last 2 1/2 years from their manufacturer date, I'd be surprised.

Note that you CAN replace the battery of them, but it is tricky. You have to open them up, then power them from another source while the battery is changed. If they go unpowered for even a few seconds, they lose their programming.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee View Post
      My are still chugging, but their definitely weaker after about a year. I don't know about yours, but mine were anywhere from 8 months to almost a year old the day I received them. If mine last 2 1/2 years from their manufacturer date, I'd be surprised.

Note that you CAN replace the battery of them, but it is tricky. You have to open them up, then power them from another source while the battery is changed. If they go unpowered for even a few seconds, they lose their programming.
      I found that out the hard way with one of my Key Fobs!
      -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Well I don't have a problem (well kinda sorta don't) buying 2 more, but not getting at least the minimum of life as advertised....
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

They do say up to 5 years.. but I guess that would be with a transmission rate for the tag set to the manufacturers default of 1.5 seconds.... Iautomate sets them a 0.8secs... they transmit almost twice as much... so they last half the time... i'd be happy with a 1.5secs transmit rate.... wonder why they upped it to 0.08sec$

Comment

I'd be happy with 1.5 secs as well.

Note, its not only the double rate that kills them. When I purchased them, and unpacked them I immediately read them for their age. Turns out mine were 7 - 11 months old the day they arrived at my house. At double-rate, thats about a year or two old.

Comment

I am just getting the first of my keyfobs which is dying...as you said alot shorter than the 5 years which was promised. I've got about 2 years out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
                I am just getting the first of my keyfobs which is dying...as you said alot shorter than the 5 years which was promised. I've got about 2 years out of them.
                50% life sounds like an RMA is in order to me. What's the warranty period?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

12 months...but it does depend on how long they have been in storage before you get them

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
                    12 months...but it does depend on how long they have been in storage before you get them
                    But that's not your problem. I would expect at least 4 years from a 5 year tag.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

With keyfobs...i suppose it also depends on the number of times the button has been pressed. We use ours 10 or 12 times a day. Now for instance the keyfob my parents have is still going strong...but the button on that never gets used.

Comment

My key fob has gone also after about 2 years but like Darren I do use my button allot. the others are still going and the card like tags are still going also.

Comment

> We use ours 10 or 12 times a day. Now for instance the keyfob my parents have is still going strong...but the button on that never gets used.

Come on, do you believe that?

The tag transmits every .8 seconds button press or not. Pressing the button does nothing more than increments a counter so that the transmitted counter number is increased by one, and the receiver can detect that the button was pressed. I don't think that pressing the button causes even one extra transmission. Is incrementing the counter wearing out the battery. I don't think so.

Comment

Well my second of my first 2 501 tags died over the weekend. I bought them december of 2005, so I didn't even get 2 years out of them. Supposedly the 2 replacements I bought will be here today. I don't think I would be able to RMA the one I replaced with a tag I had, because it is in a gazillion pieces. It is NOT easy to remove the sticky pads after they have been on a windshield for 2 years. I read the posts about removing them, I didn't try ice as suggested because it was 28 degrees outside when I replaced it.
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?

Comment

Working...
                            X