Can't figure out why my tags are dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure out why my tags are dropping

I know that Peter is MIA, but hopefully somebody here has some ideas as to what is going on. I'll try include everything I've done/checked (this has been going on for a long time), but I am sure I will forget something.

All of my tags will drop at the same time and then come right back. Here is what I know/have done:
    • It is almost always between 1:00 AM and 4:30 AM, but sometimes, although this is quite unusual, happen during the day.
    • The most common occurrence is 1:30 AM , give or take a few minutes
    • I have checked the wall wart and it seems fine
    • I have moved the wall wart from my UPS to an open outlet (although the same circuit)
    • Changed from an edge port for the serial to the hard port on the PC
    • I see nothing in the logs that indicate any issue, nor does nothing run (scripts) at the times of the drops.
    • I have disabled McAffee (actually unistalled) firewall and AV, just running the Win XP firewall.
    • Settings in the image below
    • I have had the RFID installed for nearly three years so I am pretty confident that this is not a cabling issue (i.e. ferrite choke, punched down correctly, etc.).
    • I don't recall this ever happening during the first few days after a restart of HS.
    • It is not real common. I can go a week or more with no issues, then have issues for a day or two, then nothing again.
    • Usually only happens once in a 24 hours period, but I have had nights with numerous drops.
    • Outside temp does not seem to be the issue. Reader is inside as are a few of the tags.

Like I said, I am sure I forget something, but right now I am out of ideas.
    Attached Files

Look at your CPU utilisation...my tags drop out when the processor is maxed out for the timeout period...I would start there.

Comment

I noticed that you have the Gain set to High. I know in the past, Peter recommended against that if your using the standard antenna that came with the receiver.
      -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
        Look at your CPU utilisation...my tags drop out when the processor is maxed out for the timeout period...I would start there.

I did try this a bit with Jon00's script, but it was not detailed enough inthe history to see if I could line up the CPU with the times of the drops. Any good logging program you could recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by tmcgowan View Post
          I noticed that you have the Gain set to High. I know in the past, Peter recommended against that if your using the standard antenna that came with the receiver.
          Heck, I don't even remember what gain is anymore. I did find an old post where Peter says this can cause problems with nearby tags and since my problem is all tags I tend to think this is not the answer. That said, I'll switch it to low as I've not tried this and I'll give anything a shot. Thanks.

Comment

You might try lowering the RSSI value to 0. This will prevent the program from filtering out tags based on RSSI values being received.
            -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Originally posted by tmcgowan View Post
              You might try lowering the RSSI value to 0. This will prevent the program from filtering out tags based on RSSI values being received.
              I didn't know about that setting...interesting..

Comment

Well, for the future benefit of anybody looking at this thread, changing gain to low and changing the RSSI values to 0 did not work. I had another drop last night at 1:33. It is very odd that this timeframe is so frequent. There just isn't anything in the log at all that would indicate that HS (and this is a dedicated HS machine) is doing anything. I still need to find a way to log CPU usage as I can't rule that out.

Comment

Is it just one tag....or all of them?

Comment

Is it just one tag....or all of them?
                    All of them

Comment

What happens say if you reboot your server just before you go to bed...do you still loose the tags in the middle of the night?

Comment

Do you run backups early in the morning by chance?
                        HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

What happens say if you reboot your server just before you go to bed...do you still loose the tags in the middle of the night?
                          I would say no, from two standpoints. First, the tags do not drop every night, just now and then (maybe once a week on average). Second, it does not seem to ever happen the first few nights after a reboot, but since it is infrequent that could be a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by thymer View Post
                            Do you run backups early in the morning by chance?

I was about to say no as I had checked all of my timed based events an nothing executes around that time. But I looked specifically at backup and since I have some conditions, it does not show under time based. I am in fact backing up at 1:30. Now that would not explain why the tags only occasionally drop, or why the drops happen at other times on occasion, but at 1:30 ish is far and away the most common this certainly is suspect. I'll play with this a bit and see what happens.

And now that I think about it, the other common drop time is around the time that HSTV is downloading (I think).................

Comment

Dedicated server? What speed is it and how much RAM?
                              HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Working...
                              X