No announcement yet.

Can't figure out why my tags are dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dread making any changes to the system these days in case I break this old style plugin...I can't afford to replace the hardware as there is nothing wrong with it so its very probable that once I had finished this latest consolodation program I will seal the system....as I daren't break the RFID....we need the .NET plugin.

Comment

I would like to see someone from HS contact iAutomate and see if they could get the code from Peter to turn loose here on the board. There are some talented people here. It would still be a win - win for Peter and for us. It is not like iAutomate would be losing any money since the plugin always was free

just my humble opinion
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?
      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

All I do in the event to kick off the backup is:

1. Disable the event that is kicked off when a vehicle is home (turn on lights/garage door stuff)
        2. Kick off backup

I have a separate event that fires on successful completion of the backup to re-enable the event. I tried it within the single backup event, but I haven't been able to find a "pause till this step is completed" ability, so it would disable the event, kick off the backup, and immediately re-enable the event while the backup was still running.

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
          I would like to see someone from HS contact iAutomate and see if they could get the code from Peter to turn loose here on the board. There are some talented people here. It would still be a win - win for Peter and for us. It is not like iAutomate would be losing any money since the plugin always was free

just my humble opinion
          Yes it would be much better if this could happen..after all we still have to buy the hardware!

Comment

I will try to contact Peter - not sure where he posted that he was giving up or that he abandoned RFID - I have not heard that before.

He and I have spoken quite a bit about the .NET plug-in, as they were finding problems with the data coming in (such as what caused the plug-in to think it had the wrong firmware on the reader). There was a LOT of time spent with the developer trying to figure out what was happening. Last I recall, it was just a theory, but where the older COM plug-in would occasionally miss receiving a tag packet causing it to think the tag was gone, the improved data handling of the .NET plug-in showed that tags were arriving, but were corrupt. So, last I heard Peter was going after the manufacturer of the tags/readers to find out the full story. He was also going hard on trying to find a less expensive system, either with reduced costs on the current hardware or a whole new system - he said that the cost was making it too prohibitive for a lot of people, which I tended to agree with.

So because I have access to the HomeSeer side of things and have his RFID stuff, I too did some testing with the .NET plug-in but it stopped after I reported the problems.

I have no idea what is going on lately, but I will try to contact him and see what's up.
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I don't think Peter ever posted that he was giving up, but he has not been on the board since July of last year.

Comment

Thanks Rich....I wanted to order more kit from him

Comment

Thanks Rich for looking into this.

Mark

Comment

I never said Peter posted he was giving up. It just seems that way since he has not visited the board for like 8 months. From my side I had emailed him several times and if the plugin was mentioned he wouldn't respond. I too reported a major problem with the last beta that was distributed, as it said to contact the manufacturer as the firmware was out of date. That was back in April of last year, there has been nothing about the .net plugin since then.

Sorry but I consider no contact, no update and no appearance for 8 months being abandoned. If he a) doesn't want to further update the plugin b) can't update the plugin because of hardware limitations, then let us know. Is it fair to just avoid the very people who paid good money for the technology? If I was outright told, hey because of hardware design issues, the protocol just won't work or whatever, fine then it is my option to do what I deem necessary but to keep false hope that one day I might be able to have this technology as solid as the rest of my system in my opinion is extremely poor business practice
                    Over The Hill
                    What Hill?
                    Where?
                    When?
                    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Thanks Rick!
                      -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
                        Thanks Rich....I wanted to order more kit from him
                        me also!

Comment

I suspect the WaveTrend hardware is solid, but I suspect that most of my dropped tags were due to a buggy plug-in. The good news is that the Wavetrend hardware is getting quite popular, so its easier finding more outlets that sell it. One of these dealers in fact offers the full spec for the readers, but they only provide it to "developers." Perhaps Rick would want to adopt this product and HomeSeer could develop a plug-in.

The spec is available here (to developers):
                          http://rfidusa.com/superstore/produc...roducts_id=545

Comment

I moved my backup time to 2:15 AM, but I had another drop last night at 1:32 AM. Something has to be going on at that time, but so far I am stumped.........

I stand corrected. Somehow my old backup event became enabled again and a backup did occur at 1:00 AM.
                            Last edited by Msekelsky; February 11, 2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                              I will try to contact Peter - not sure where he posted that he was giving up or that he abandoned RFID - I have not heard that before.

He and I have spoken quite a bit about the .NET plug-in, as they were finding problems with the data coming in (such as what caused the plug-in to think it had the wrong firmware on the reader). There was a LOT of time spent with the developer trying to figure out what was happening. Last I recall, it was just a theory, but where the older COM plug-in would occasionally miss receiving a tag packet causing it to think the tag was gone, the improved data handling of the .NET plug-in showed that tags were arriving, but were corrupt. So, last I heard Peter was going after the manufacturer of the tags/readers to find out the full story. He was also going hard on trying to find a less expensive system, either with reduced costs on the current hardware or a whole new system - he said that the cost was making it too prohibitive for a lot of people, which I tended to agree with.

So because I have access to the HomeSeer side of things and have his RFID stuff, I too did some testing with the .NET plug-in but it stopped after I reported the problems.

I have no idea what is going on lately, but I will try to contact him and see what's up.

Hi Rick,

Any news on this?

Thanks
                              Mark

Comment

Rick... Spoken to Peter yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X