No announcement yet.

Can't figure out why my tags are dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About two weeks ago my RFID reader stopped talking to my serial port. Can't even use a USB dongle to read the reader. The plug-in just says its not communicating on the port I've assigned, even though it works with other devices. The LEDs on the right side of the receiver blink indicating it's seeing the tags, its just not talking to the computer anymore.

I even tried replacing the transformer, since I know the ones originally provided were defective, and still no joy!

There goes $400!
    -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

The battery in one of my oldest tags seems to be going so I thought I would risk the $20 and order a new tag. I ordered on Sunday, had a tracking number on Monday and the tags arrived today. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
        I will try to contact Peter - not sure where he posted that he was giving up or that he abandoned RFID - I have not heard that before.

He and I have spoken quite a bit about the .NET plug-in, as they were finding problems with the data coming in (such as what caused the plug-in to think it had the wrong firmware on the reader). There was a LOT of time spent with the developer trying to figure out what was happening. Last I recall, it was just a theory, but where the older COM plug-in would occasionally miss receiving a tag packet causing it to think the tag was gone, the improved data handling of the .NET plug-in showed that tags were arriving, but were corrupt. So, last I heard Peter was going after the manufacturer of the tags/readers to find out the full story. He was also going hard on trying to find a less expensive system, either with reduced costs on the current hardware or a whole new system - he said that the cost was making it too prohibitive for a lot of people, which I tended to agree with.

So because I have access to the HomeSeer side of things and have his RFID stuff, I too did some testing with the .NET plug-in but it stopped after I reported the problems.

I have no idea what is going on lately, but I will try to contact him and see what's up.

Rick did anything ever come of this?

Thanks!

Jack
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
          I will try to contact Peter - not sure where he posted that he was giving up or that he abandoned RFID - I have not heard that before.

Hello Rick,

Did you ever hear back from Peter on the status of the dot net version of the plug-in?

Thanks,

Todd
          -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
          HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Yeah especially since they are your "partner."

http://www.homeseer.com/company/rele...tomate_com.htm

Comment

I use the CheaperRFID stuff a have gotten pretty frustrated with the dropouts. Was thinking of ponying up the big bucks (this stuff is pricey!) but given this level of support...
              HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Save your money til something better comes along.
                Last edited by MStan; August 31, 2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I would think long and hard before spending any money on this stuff, all of us were left high and dry.

Comment

Yes I would not invest in this hardware as the support seems non-existent. I had great plans for my kit but no longer. That said if you order hardware it seems to be delivered OK though.

Comment

The good news, there are alternative sources of the hardware at not much more than iAutomate charges, and there is one other HA program that soon will be adding support for it, so it may live on.

Comment

The iAutomate plug-in was pulled from the homeseer store a long time ago. So obivously there was a decision to do that. Pity that status information was never shared with the rest of us.

Comment

The IAutomate plugin is still in the updater, to my knowledge it was never in the HS Store because it has always been free
                          Over The Hill
                          What Hill?
                          Where?
                          When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I am working on a solution to dropped tags and it can probably be used with the CheaperRFID system as well. I took a DS10A and a small PC Board relay with 12VDC coil mounted on a piece of perf board that I hot glued to the back of the DS10A. I am going to wire it to the radio circuit of my vehicles, when the Ignition is turned on, the relay will close causing the DS10A to go into alert. in my script (or events) I will use the DS10A variable as a condition, so if the DS10 is not in alert the vehicle hasn't left since the vehicle can't leave if the ignition is not on. I have bench tested the anology, now all I have to do is wire the device into the vehicle. I still have to test it in real world applications
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                              I am working on a solution to dropped tags and it can probably be used with the CheaperRFID system as well. I took a DS10A and a small PC Board relay with 12VDC coil mounted on a piece of perf board that I hot glued to the back of the DS10A. I am going to wire it to the radio circuit of my vehicles, when the Ignition is turned on, the relay will close causing the DS10A to go into alert. in my script (or events) I will use the DS10A variable as a condition, so if the DS10 is not in alert the vehicle hasn't left since the vehicle can't leave if the ignition is not on. I have bench tested the anology, now all I have to do is wire the device into the vehicle. I still have to test it in real world applications
                              outstanding idea dude. please let us know how it works.
                              HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                                The IAutomate plugin is still in the updater, to my knowledge it was never in the HS Store because it has always been free
                                Free yes, but the plugin was advertised with all the other plugins. Must have been part of the "Partnership"

Comment

Working...
                                X