No Reader Communication!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Reader Communication!

Hello, I'm trying to get my RFID reader working. I've tried a million things but nothing worked. The RFID status page is blank. I'm getting an error on HS log saying:

1/21/2009 5:59:12 AM - iAutomate RFID - Error: The network is missing 1 readers, including at least Reader ID 1
    1/21/2009 5:59:12 AM - iAutomate RFID - The system will remain inoperable until this situation is corrected.
    1/21/2009 5:59:12 AM - iAutomate RFID - -- Automatic Reset/Retry will occur in 1 minute --

I noticed that the left green light doesn't turn on at all. There seems to be no activity to the pc. My unit came with the cable assembled so I didn't need to pre wire like the instructions say, but from what I can see, I'm guessing the wiring is wrong. They don't match the digrams at all. This thing is too damn expensive to be having this type of problems. Can someone please help me get this thing going. I want to rewire it but I'm afraid to burn the unit. Thanks for any help.

You may want to attempt to email the plugin author as he hasn't visited the HomeSeer message board in over a year.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I recently got a used reader. This is some of the voodoo dance I had to perform to get it to work.

1) Shut down HS
      2) Edit the iAutomated config file
      2a) Set Converted2=False
      2b) Set sInitBaud=57600
      3) Remove and reconnect power to the antenna
      4) Start HS

Comment

Originally posted by BootsC5 View Post
        I recently got a used reader. This is some of the voodoo dance I had to perform to get it to work.

1) Shut down HS
        2a) Set Converted2=False
        2b) Set sInitBaud=57600
        4) Start HS
        Thanks Boot. I'll give this a try. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by BootsC5 View Post

1) Shut down HS
          2a) Set Converted2=False
          2b) Set sInitBaud=57600
          4) Start HS
          This worked perfectly. Thanks Boot. I thought these units would have better range though. As soon as I walk outside with a tag it dissapears on the RFID status. I wont be able to use it on my car like I wanted too.

Comment

You should try the CheaperRFID hardware. It's about 1/20th of the cost and there are 2 different tranmitters. My 40m transmitter works from ~ 2 houses away.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              You should try the CheaperRFID hardware. It's about 1/20th of the cost and there are 2 different tranmitters. My 40m transmitter works from ~ 2 houses away.
              If I add any more readers I will definitely be going with CheaperRFID. Thanks Rupp.

Comment

Ok. Have been messing with this thing for about an hour and its already going to the trash. I have the RSSI on the reader set to zero to get the maximum range. I stand about 9ft away from the reader with no walls in between and it drops out. This is just rediculous. My bluetooth plugin works better than this.. far better. I have tried just about every setting possible and the range doesn't get better. I can be in my office with a tag and all of a sudden the tag drops out without even moving it. This is by far the biggest waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by txbandit View Post
                  Ok. Have been messing with this thing for about an hour and its already going to the trash. I have the RSSI on the reader set to zero to get the maximum range. I stand about 9ft away from the reader with no walls in between and it drops out. This is just rediculous. My bluetooth plugin works better than this.. far better. I have tried just about every setting possible and the range doesn't get better. I can be in my office with a tag and all of a sudden the tag drops out without even moving it. This is by far the biggest waste of money.
                  Hello tx,

I've had mine for five years now and it does take some patience to get it up and running the way you want it to. Just a few ideas to help you out:

1) what drop out time do you have the individual tags set to? I typically have the ones in our cars set to higher numbers in order to prevent HS from announcing that my car keeps leaving or arriving home without me.

2) tag and antenna orientation does make a big difference. The ones I originally stuck on our trash cans were horrizontal, when I should have applied them in a vertical orientation.

3) temperature can also make a difference. I used to have two mounted to our garage doors (the ones with the tamper ball bearing inside) to determine if the doors were up or down. However, here in Michigan, the winters are pretty harsh and the temperatures often drop below zero in January and February, so the power dropped to a level that the receiver couldn't find the tags anymore.

4) the age of the tag could also play a factor. Although they're advertised to have a battery life of 5 years, I've typically gotten 3 years at best. If you bought yours from a previous owner, you may have some with dead or dying batteries.

5) antenna placement. I've moved mine around the basement joists several times over the years, to get the best reception bubble. I want it to be able to read the trash cans and cars in the garage, but not past the property line. afterall, if the trash cans are at the end of the driveway, and they were still in the reception range, then the only thing it would be telling me is that either the trash collectors threw away my trask cans or someone stole them. Not likely in our neiborhood.

Hopefully, some of these things will help!
                  -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                  HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Actually the hardware they are based on is pretty solid, but the driver itself has problems. As you noticed, the driver isn't seeing a tag a few feet away, but I bet if you hooked that reader to a Wavetrend diagnostic program, it would see the tag fine.

I, like several people paid a fair sum of money for this system, only to have the plugin author disappear and never fully get it working.

Comment

Hello TMC. I have two tags. One of them has additional timeout of 0 and the other has 60. I've tried just about every number in between and nothing makes a difference. Tags still drop out randomly and the range never improves. The farthest its worked is about 13 ft from the reader with no walls in between. The readers timeout is currently set to 10 but I've also tried just about every number here and nothing seems to make a difference. I tried the orientation of the tags like you mentioned, no difference either. I don't think tempeture is a factor for me since the tags are inside and the weather is always the same here, hot. My antenna is placed in my living room which is the center of the home. I can't get the tags to work past the living room though. I purchased my reader and tags brand new about 1 year ago, however I had them sitting in my closest till now. I doubt battery is the issue.

Anogee could you pass me a link where you found the wavetrend diagnostics program? Would it be possible for someone else to write a .net plugin and our units will be compatible or this is not possible unless the author provides the source code? I saw a .net sdk on the wavetrend site.

Comment

Hello TX,

Sorry to hear that there's still no joy with your receiver. You might have a defective unit. I'm getting about 50 to 60 feet with the receiver in the basement and tags everywhere in the house.
                        -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                        HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Are you at restarting the plugin after you make changes to the settings?

They are still in business, you can either call or email and get help. Whatever you do don't mention or question why there is not a .net plugin or why support has dropped from the HS board. All you will get in return is silence
                          Over The Hill
                          What Hill?
                          Where?
                          When?
                          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                            Are you at restarting the plugin after you make changes to the settings?

They are still in business, you can either call or email and get help. Whatever you do don't mention or question why there is not a .net plugin or why support has dropped from the HS board. All you will get in return is silence
                            I press the apply button then I press the reset/restart button just in case. I've sent peter a private message, but no response.

Comment

A Private message won't work, try peter@iautomate.com or sales@iautomate.com
                              Over The Hill
                              What Hill?
                              Where?
                              When?
                              I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Working...
                              X