change to Cheaper RFID products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change to Cheaper RFID products

I need to get new tags for my iautomate, but i'am loooking at the CheaperRFID products that seems to have a supported plugin. Does anyone think that the iA plug will ever get updated or should i go with CheaperRFID products?

That's a great question. I'm also an iA user and have a lot invested in the hardware. Although iA does a good job maintaining their supply of tags, the plug-in is getting stale and I wish they had more configuration options, as well as move to the .net framework!
    -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

I wouldn't expect any more developement on that plugin as it's been unsupported for almost 2 years. All of you guys need to contact the plugin owner and suggest that he turn it over to someone to maintain.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        I wouldn't expect any more developement on that plugin as it's been unsupported for almost 2 years. All of you guys need to contact the plugin owner and suggest that he turn it over to someone to maintain.
        If only it were that easy. Peter has not responded to anybody. Rick said a while back (like a year ago) that he would take up the task and I think he struck out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Msekelsky View Post
          If only it were that easy. Peter has not responded to anybody. Rick said a while back (like a year ago) that he would take up the task and I think he struck out as well.
          Yea, you're probably correct but if all of the users would call in and state that they need the plug-in released it may work?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think there is enough information in the iautomate.dll to write the .NET version using reflection or not. In other words the reader & tag interface seems to already be .NET. I don't know why the developer schose to use Java for the web page. I've looked at doing a ASP.NET a couple of times. But, I haven'g had the time to really get into it.

What are the features that the iAutomate users would like?

I would just mainly like to redo the tag page & get away from the Java 5.0 since this does'nt run under Java 6.0. If I ever get the time to do this I think that I will not use Java & make it an asp.net page.

Comment

iAutomate RFID Plugin

Our Hardware and the RFID plugin have been continuously supported (quite well) via email since the inception of the product. We are now in the 4th generation of tags and readers. Including new micro-series tag that was just released.

We have a .NET version of the plugin in Alpha testing hope to have a Beta version ready soon.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pmonahan View Post
                Our Hardware and the RFID plugin have been continuously supported (quite well) via email since the inception of the product. We are now in the 4th generation of tags and readers. Including new micro-series tag that was just released.

We have a .NET version of the plugin in Alpha testing hope to have a Beta version ready soon.

Peter
                I hate to be a devil's advocate here but why are you answering a thread that is two years old complaining that the plugin hasn't been supported saying that it is. Can anyone who is using it comment on its effectiveness and how they are using their RFID?

Comment

I'll respond...making me an angel's advocate?

I had been using the 'CheaperRFID' hardware with the Blade plugin. While the Blade's plugin was great the 'CheaperRFID' hardware was just not robust enough.

I took the leap and bought the iAutomate setup. I'm very satisfied with the hardware and the plugin. A nit on the plugin is really it versus Blades where in Blades it setup a device for each of the tags. With iAutomate you have to set up devices manually...albeit each tag is flagged as an event condition automatically.

One of the hesitations I had in going with iAutomate (besides price) was the board conversation on the plugin not being .net. While I haven't had a noticable issue with the plugin as is today, the geek side of me would like for it to be .net. Would give me more confidence in supportability leading into HS 3.

Ken J.
                  HSPRO 2.5.0.60, Applied Digital Ocelot 2.2.2433.35446, HSTouch Server 1.0.0.60, iAutomate RFID 1.1.0.0, NetCAM 1.1.0.1, TED 1.2.0.3, UltraMon 1.1.4556.33421, UltraWeatherBug 1.0.4620.19027
                  88 Z-Wave nodes, 3 Z-Trollers, Ocelot (4 SECU16, 6 Bobcat T), 9 iAutomate tags

Comment

Originally posted by Kaje View Post
                    I'll respond...making me an angel's advocate?

I had been using the 'CheaperRFID' hardware with the Blade plugin. While the Blade's plugin was great the 'CheaperRFID' hardware was just not robust enough.

I took the leap and bought the iAutomate setup. I'm very satisfied with the hardware and the plugin. A nit on the plugin is really it versus Blades where in Blades it setup a device for each of the tags. With iAutomate you have to set up devices manually...albeit each tag is flagged as an event condition automatically.

One of the hesitations I had in going with iAutomate (besides price) was the board conversation on the plugin not being .net. While I haven't had a noticable issue with the plugin as is today, the geek side of me would like for it to be .net. Would give me more confidence in supportability leading into HS 3.

Ken J.
                    HSPRO 2.5.0.60, Applied Digital Ocelot 2.2.2433.35446, HSTouch Server 1.0.0.60, iAutomate RFID 1.1.0.0, NetCAM 1.1.0.1, TED 1.2.0.3, UltraMon 1.1.4556.33421, UltraWeatherBug 1.0.4620.19027
                    Thanks. Can you give me some more information on how it works. For instance, can you just have a card in your wallet and pull up to the driveway and homeseer will detect your presence? Kind of curious about actual real-world range with garage doors and being in a car...

Comment

I use the RFID tag [Wavetrend TG-P] that mounts (super double sided sticky tape) in the windshield. I put it right behind the rearview mirror.

Comment

Hit post to quick...

My setup:
                        2 L-RX202-HA Long Range readers with the Extended Range 433 MHz antennas
                        6 Wavetrend TG-P ActivDuo RFID Tags windshield mounted on cars with the RFID Tag VHB Mounting Pads
                        1 Wavetrend TG-P ActivDuo RFID Tags mounted inside a trash can lid with the RFID Tag VHB Mounting Pads
                        2 Wavetrend TG-P ActivDuo RFID Tags carried in a purse and back pack

I get a range of roughly 200 ft. Antennas are in the attic of a brick house and I live on 6 acres in a rural area.

So one scenario is when I enter my 300 ft driveway between halfway and 2/3rds of the way to the house the car is picked up and triggers the HS event to open the garage door. Some days it picks up before I get to the driveway, some days not until I'm 30 ft from the garage door. Interestingly enough the one in my wife's purse is typically picked up before the one that is mounted on the windshield.

Another scenario is when we leave the house I have a 2 minute timeout, where when the system loses the signal ('out of range' iAutomate condition) for 2 minutes then it takes action to close the garage door. So when I'm about a mile down the road the action occurs.

The next scenario is the trash can. Based on the signal strength (strong when in the garage, weak when down at the end of the driveway) I have an event that on trash night if the signal is strong (aka trash can not down) HS emails/notifies me that I haven't taken the trash down.

My experience is you want two receivers/readers. RF tends to be fickle and some days one reader just loses signal with a tage, even when the tag is in close range. So the second one acts as a redundent, plus providing better/additional coverage.

In my opinion the tags are too thick to be in your wallet (almost 1/4" thick). Believe you are thinking of the passive RFID cards (or proximity cards) used in Common Access Cards and the such...this is not that setup.

Ken J.

Comment

I also have been using the iA product for a number of years and use just about every type of ID tag they sell. Here's my application list:

- Dog collar - Let's us know if our dog has left our property somehow.
                          - Long range tags - Used for each of our cars to monitor their presence in the garage.
                          - 501 tags - used for our garbage and recycle bins - HS announces whether the garbage cans have been brought out to the curb the night before.
                          - 501 tags - used in my briefcase and my work ID badge so that if I forget them at home, HS will call my cell phone if my car leaves the garage between 5 am and 6am during the week.
                          - 501 tag - lawn mower. If the lawn mower is out of the garage then it will shut off the vehicle detector in the front yard to avoid unnecessary speaker announcements.
                          - 501 with motion sensor - used in our mail box to detect whether the door has been opened.
                          - push button key dongle - used to turn on the outside lights
                          - wrist band - originally used when our daughter was very young to make sure she didn't leave the house - it never caught on - very low FAF!
                          - 501 with motion sensor - used on our daughter's bike to see if she was riding it around the yard

I'm sure I'm probably missing a few other items, but it's been fun developing the various rules and logic for the scripts.
                          -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                          HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. What about range? Ie, if I pulled into my garage would the door open aknowledging my presence? I also like the mailbox idea, but my mailbox is 60 ft from the house. Would it work if the detector is in one of the rooms in my house?

Comment

Originally posted by tmcgowan View Post
                              I also have been using the iA product for a number of years and use just about every type of ID tag they sell. Here's my application list:

- Dog collar - Let's us know if our dog has left our property somehow.
                              - Long range tags - Used for each of our cars to monitor their presence in the garage.
                              And does it trigger an event if both tags drop out simultaneously?

hs.speak"Fluffy has stolen a car, again",true

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X