Vampire Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vampire Drain

Shill, so far I love your plugin and I already found several use of it. I have several questions about the vampire drain and how you would suggest to minimize it.
    It looks like that the plugin is always connected to the car. I have created an event that trigger on wake or online, these events including the sleep did not trigger and it has been Online since I enabled the plugin, so it seems that it is not going to sleep.
    The drainage is about a mile per hour and this is the only thing that I have enabled. I disables Sentry and the other tools that people recommend. When I disable the plugin, it only drain a mile every 3-4 hours while with the plugin on, it is about 1 mile per hour.
    What I would like to do with the plugin:
    Check battery range
    Make sure that the doors and windows are close when I lock the car
    During the charge, check how much it costs and etc.
    I store values that change into MySQL for graph so I would love to store as much as possible
    At night I could minimize checking and while I park.

Below are my values, I'm open to your suggestions. I think the only issue with this plugin, is that it is not going to sleep but I may be wrong.

I also noticed thta by open the Tesla app on my phone will not trigger the updates to the plugin.
    Thanks,
    Aldo
    Attached Files

The reason for vampire drain is keeping the vehicle awake by polling it for status. Your current settings are telling the plug-in to query the car every 2 minutes, and to wake it up every time. While that's the best way to always have the latest into, it's also the most expensive in terms of battery because your car never goes to sleep.

Turning off the checkbox means that after an update the plug-in will give the car some time to go to sleep before passing the query all the way to the vehicle, and if it does go to sleep it will avoid waking it up for an update as long as it's still asleep, unless you explicitly send a wake event.

If you haven't yet read through the manual, I think there a section on this topic - if you've read it and it wasn't clear or if I didn't put enough detail in there, I'll look to revise it with a future release.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
      The reason for vampire drain is keeping the vehicle awake by polling it for status. Your current settings are telling the plug-in to query the car every 2 minutes, and to wake it up every time. While that's the best way to always have the latest into, it's also the most expensive in terms of battery because your car never goes to sleep.
      What are you saying is that 120 is 2 minutes and not 2 hours? I may read it incorrectly then because the poll interval seems to be in min. Your example shows (Min: 60, 0= Disables) Should it be instead seconds? So to pull the car every hour would be 3600?

Turning off the checkbox means that after an update the plug-in will give the car some time to go to sleep before passing the query all the way to the vehicle, and if it does go to sleep it will avoid waking it up for an update as long as it's still asleep, unless you explicitly send a wake event.
      Just to make sure i'm clear, are you talking about the "Wake to Update"? What do you mean after an update, what kind of update?

If you haven't yet read through the manual, I think there a section on this topic - if you've read it and it wasn't clear or if I didn't put enough detail in there, I'll look to revise it with a future release.
      I read the manual 5 times, but it may definitely be me.

Comment

Shill, I have set it up for 20 minutes although I do not get the email from the event that I setup that indicated that the car went to sleep during that time. Is that time too small?

Comment

Ok, 120 is 2 minutes - the screen wasn't clear at all and was attempting to convey that the MINIMUM is 60 seconds, not that it's in min which = 60 seconds

And yes, I'm talking about the "Wake to Update" - that means whenever the plugin polls the vehicle (every 2 minutes with the default settings), it will force it to wake up. Manually asking for an update (with the button or an event), it always wakes it up first.

If you have this set to 120, it will check every 2 minutes, but once it sees that the car is in Park and not charging, it will stop asking the car for info and only ask Tesla's servers for an update (still every 2 minutes). If Tesla doesn't say it's asleep after 30 minutes (or whatever's on your Option page under "Recheck status if not asleep after (mins)"), it will ask the car for an update, assuming perhaps that the car is now moving again. If it's still in Park, it will keep going through that process in the hopes the car will eventually fall asleep.

As the manual says, though: "both the amount of time it takes to wake up a sleeping car and the amount of time it takes the car to go into sleep mode are unpredictable". So sometimes it may work in 30 minutes, sometimes it may not.

I can tell you must be a new owner because you're still worried about vampire drain - don't worry, you'll get over that soon Since the cars are designed/intended/recommended to be plugged in all the time, it's rarely an issue in the real world!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I really do not want to be a bother so I appreciated it. Your plugin is excellent so I want to learn as much as I can from it.
            What is your recommended setting for polling interval in seconds?
            Last question, I promise :-) I have right now set to 20 minutes since I do not know the ideal setting. Would 20 minute set the car in sleep mode? I have an event that triggers if the car went to sleep but I do not see it triggered.

Comment

The polling frequency has nothing to do with whether the car goes to sleep or not, so the default setting provided with the plug-in of 2 minutes is my recommendation. In fact, by definition, the default settings that the plug-in comes with ARE my recommendations

Comment

Set it to 300 for every 5 min and more importantly uncheck the box "Wake to Update". The other you can leave checked.

Comment

Working...
                X