Plugin may not update some values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin may not update some values

Today I went for a drive and I noticed that the Shift state did not change. I query my database and the last records are for 03/28. I'm sure it is me again doing something wrong here.
    Attached Files

I checked my Device History chart for that device and it has been changing properly, so if you want me to look into it I'll bed a trace to showing the entire time from being in park to beginning to drive and then driving long enough for an update to happen.

If you still have your update frequency set for as long as you had it before or have increased the"waiting for sleep" time, there's a chance it was in Park for the last update then just didn't update again during the next drive until it was once again in park.

Comment

I will send the screen for sleep time and the log. The screen that I have attached is the latest configuration for the time, should 300 be enough to check if it was awake?
      If I remember it correctly, you have it setup to be awake at all times, I changed it on mine.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

No, I don't have mine set up to be awake at all times. I did mention earlier I wouldn't mind if I changed it to that since I get to charge at work every day, but my settings are the defaults that come with the plugin (poll every 120 seconds, wait 30 minutes for sleep).

Comment

I changed to 120 seconds like you have. Unfortunately I do not have it set right now to Trace but I will when I'm going out.
          What is still confusing me, yesterday when I went for a run, your app via the event told me that the car was awake, would at that point the plugin check continuously for car status?
          I may be wrong since I do not remember 100% but I think the updates are stopping around when I updated the plugin to the latest version. I will report back soon.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alphatech View Post
            I changed to 120 seconds like you have. Unfortunately I do not have it set right now to Trace but I will when I'm going out.
            What is still confusing me, yesterday when I went for a run, your app via the event told me that the car was awake, would at that point the plugin check continuously for car status?
            I may be wrong since I do not remember 100% but I think the updates are stopping around when I updated the plugin to the latest version. I will report back soon.
            The plugin checks Tesla's servers to see the car's status (to see if online or asleep) every 2 minutes no matter what. There's nothing ambiguous or conditional about that statement.

Whether the plugin then attempts to talk to the car depends on 3 things:
            1. The car must be awake (or the "Wake to update" setting checked, which I definitely don't recommend for you).
            2. The car is not in Park or is charging
            3. The plugin has reached the maximum wait time for sleep, so it checks again to see what's up with the car, in case it's not in Park anymore or has started charging.

If it decides to talk to the car to get an update on all the data, it will wake the car up in doing so.

I'm running out of ways to describe this

Comment

There's no such thing as "continuous" updates, and there are absolutely going to be times when your car data is changing and the plugin doesn't know about it. The only way around that part is "Wake to Update", which uses more battery, and "continuous" can be simulated by decreasing the update frequency, at the risk of being rate limited by Tesla.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post

The plugin checks Tesla's servers to see the car's status (to see if online or asleep) every 2 minutes no matter what. There's nothing ambiguous or conditional about that statement.

Whether the plugin then attempts to talk to the car depends on 3 things:
                1. The car must be awake (or the "Wake to update" setting checked, which I definitely don't recommend for you).
                2. The car is not in Park or is charging
                3. The plugin has reached the maximum wait time for sleep, so it checks again to see what's up with the car, in case it's not in Park anymore or has started charging.

If it decides to talk to the car to get an update on all the data, it will wake the car up in doing so.

I'm running out of ways to describe this

The log shows that it should have updated the device but still as 03/28.
                As an FYI, as it looks like that is a language barrier on my part, the car is in movement for about 30 minutes, and it was awake by the tesla app before I drove it, so not sure why it would not record these values.
                Attached Files

Comment

Whether it's awake in the tesla app is irrelevant - the plugin may know it's awake but since it's waiting for it to go to sleep so it doesn't talk to the car - because that will wake it up, which the plugin has been instructed not to do.

Pretend the car is your wife. You're both in bed, she's been looking at her phone or reading a book, so you can tell she's awake. Once she stops moving and turns off the light, you know she's not asleep yet, but if you talk to her, she definitely won't be. So you wait patiently until she starts snoring, then you know for sure she's asleep.

(Also, whenever providing log files, the only thing I can work with is the full plugin log file, not text from the HomeSeer log screen. Preferably via private message to avoid leaking any sensitive info on the forum. EDIT: And the only thing that files does show is that at 12:29 the car was apparently in Park - I say "apparently" because the actual data isn't in that file.)

Comment

I looked more at your log and I noticed that also if I'm driving it thinks that it needs to wait to go to sleep so it does not update. I returned home at 12:45 so at the time of the log I was still driving. Anyway, I appreciated all your help but I give up on it. How do I get the previous revision before the last update?
                    4/2/2020 12:37:44.075 Debug Vehicle.RequestUpdate - ... but we're waiting for it to go to sleep, so no update right now.
                    4/2/2020 12:37:44.075 Trace TeslaAPI.IsAwake - >>>> TeslaAPI.IsAwake(1333334)

Comment

You don't, because no plugin developer wants to field questions or support issues from old versions.

As I've explained, it's entirely possible that there will be times when you are driving but the plugin doesn't know. That hasn't changed in this release. There's nothing anyone can do about that, unless you're willing to keep the car awake all day.

Let me try this yet again with a different example:
                      • 9:00:00 AM: The car is asleep and not charging and the plugin knows it's asleep. The actual battery level is probably a little lower than what the plugin shows because of normal drain, but since the car is asleep we don't have the latest data so that might be off by a mile or so, for example.
                      • 9:02:00 AM: The plugin checks and the car is still sleeping.
                      • 9:03:00 AM: You jump in the car and start driving to a 1 hour doctor's appointment you have at 9:15, which is 10 minutes away. The plugin still thinks the car is asleep, so it doesn't know this yet.
                      • 9:04:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees you're driving so it doesn't intend to let it sleep.
                      • 9:06:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees you're driving so it doesn't intend to let it sleep.
                      • 9:08:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees you're driving so it doesn't intend to let it sleep.
                      • 9:10:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees you're driving so it doesn't intend to let it sleep.
                      • 9:12:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees you're driving so it doesn't intend to let it sleep.
                      • 9:13:00 AM: You arrive and put the car in Park.
                      • 9:14:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees it's in park, so it plans to let it go to sleep.
                      • 9:16:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • ... <repeats> ...
                      • 9:31:00 AM: Your car finally goes to sleep.
                      • 9:42:00 AM: The plugin checks and the car is asleep, so it leaves it alone.
                      • ... <repeats> ...
                      • 10:14:00 AM: The plugin checks and the car is asleep, so it leaves it alone.
                      • 10:14:01 AM: You get in the car and drive across the street to the store. The plugin still thinks the car is asleep, so it doesn't know this yet.
                      • 10:15:59 AM: You arrive at the store and put the car in Park.
                      • 10:16:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, so it grabs an update and sees it's in park, so it plans to let it go to sleep.
                      • 10:18:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:19:00 AM: You leave the store and drive 8 minutes home.
                      • 10:20:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:22:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:24:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:26:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:27:00 AM: You arrive home and put the car in Park.
                      • 10:28:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:30:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • ... <repeats> ...
                      • 10:44:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • 10:46:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, and it's been trying to let it sleep for 30 minutes, so it gets concerned and checks on the car to grab an update. It sees it's in park, so it plans to let it go to sleep.
                      • 10:48:00 AM: The plugin checks and finds out the car is awake, but it's trying to let it sleep, so it doesn't grab an update.
                      • ... <repeats> ...
                      • 10:53:00 AM: Your car finally goes to sleep.
                      • 10:54:00 AM: The plugin checks and the car is asleep, so it leaves it alone.
                      During the highlighted time (between when you put it in park and up to 30 minutes after) the car can be awake and moving without the plugin knowing, so the plugin will continue to show the data as it was at 10:16 AM until 10:46 AM, at which point it gets another snapshot.

Comment

Working...
                      X