Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Warming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Battery Warming

    In various iOS apps there is the ability to manually, or via schedule, engage the battery warmer - which would suggest this is available via API.

    This plugin has a status for the battery warmer, but no control of it.

    Hoping it is possible to incorporate an ON/OFF so I can automate this.

    #2
    Not sure, but I think the Battery Heater only starts when HVAC is started, and only below a fixed temperature. No separate control for the Battery Heater.

    Comment


      #3
      There's no documented API for controlling the battery heater directly, either, so I'm inclined to agree with Mobileum .

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by shill View Post
        There's no documented API for controlling the battery heater directly, either, so I'm inclined to agree with Mobileum .
        And yet with other Tesla apps:
        Smart Battery Prep: Use this feature to automatically get the car battery warmed-up by the time you plan to use the car.

        Separate from the climate control. If the climate ALSO does the battery then that's great because I have this automatically kick in based upon my coffee machine being used in the morning, but I'm unaware if turning on climate ALSO pre-conditions the batteries... you would think so but if I turn that on your plugin still shows the battery warming as being OFF.

        Not a show stopper, but if I schedule using the official Tesla app or other third party apps they all say they take care of everything including battery warming.... just worried doing the climate manually via this plugin is bypassing a few processes such as battery pre-conditioning....

        Comment


          #5
          Several threads I find while looking for any pointers on turning on the battery heater (all of which confirm its not possible):It does seem that it's controlled by charging, which is managed at best by scheduling the departure time or by initiating charging.

          Comment


            #6
            Which is odd given other apps say they can specifically pre-condition the battery.

            Can your plugin control the maximum charge level? I haven't checked so apologies in advance.

            I set my limit at 80% and have it immediately charge so I'm good at all times, and instead pre-condition by turning on climate when my coffee machine is used between the hours of 12am > 8am. What I'm thinking is if I can override the max charge via plugin then when I turn on the climate I also change the max charge to 81% so it begins a bit of charging. When the car is next off charge I set it back to 80% again.

            This way any pre-conditioning Tesla want happening then kicks in during that 10 minutes between me making my coffee and heading to work. Unless we could somehow confirm for sure that activating the climate does indeed do anything and everything such as battery conditioning...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
              Which is odd given other apps say they can specifically pre-condition the battery.

              Can your plugin control the maximum charge level? I haven't checked so apologies in advance.

              I set my limit at 80% and have it immediately charge so I'm good at all times, and instead pre-condition by turning on climate when my coffee machine is used between the hours of 12am > 8am. What I'm thinking is if I can override the max charge via plugin then when I turn on the climate I also change the max charge to 81% so it begins a bit of charging. When the car is next off charge I set it back to 80% again.

              This way any pre-conditioning Tesla want happening then kicks in during that 10 minutes between me making my coffee and heading to work. Unless we could somehow confirm for sure that activating the climate does indeed do anything and everything such as battery conditioning...
              To answer my own question - yes you can (if you add the Charging Level object), so have set my climate event to bump up the charge limit from 80% to 83%. When the charge port changes from open to closed I then revert it to 80% again. This should ensure the battery is warmed regardless, and give me a last second boost in charge that'll be immediately used up.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

                To answer my own question - yes you can (if you add the Charging Level object), so have set my climate event to bump up the charge limit from 80% to 83%. When the charge port changes from open to closed I then revert it to 80% again. This should ensure the battery is warmed regardless, and give me a last second boost in charge that'll be immediately used up.
                Just a quick update that I've had this in place for a few days now - aside from having to decrease the bump from 83% to 82% (otherwise the charge was still in progress in the 8 or so minutes I make my coffee, grab my stuff, and leave) it is working fantastic. It was insanely cold a couple of mornings ago and there was no dots on the regen anymore so batteries nicely warmed

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

                  Just a quick update that I've had this in place for a few days now - aside from having to decrease the bump from 83% to 82% (otherwise the charge was still in progress in the 8 or so minutes I make my coffee, grab my stuff, and leave) it is working fantastic. It was insanely cold a couple of mornings ago and there was no dots on the regen anymore so batteries nicely warmed
                  Great solution! Glad it's working for you.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by shill View Post

                    Great solution! Glad it's working for you.
                    Okay colder mornings have revealed this isn't working as efficiently as I would like - so have been ramping up the charging (only charging to 75% when plugged in now, and when I detect I have finished my shower I charge the remaining 5% plus the extra 2% when using coffee machine). That's not keeping pace with the coldness plus I'm not sure this is working as efficiently as it could.

                    Case in point - if you select a supercharger as your navigation destination the car specifically starts "pre-conditioning the battery" in anticipation.

                    That has me wondering... if I send a remote navigation request to go to a supercharger that might trigger the pre-conditioning that we seem to not be able to do via API....

                    There does seem to be API support for sending navigation requests so hoping you might be able to incorporate into the plugin?
                    POST /api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/share
                    Sends a location for the car to start navigation or play a video in theatre mode.

                    These docs take from the Android app, which sends the data in JSON form. However, a urlencoded POST body will work as well. The basic format to a request looks like this:
                    {
                    "type": "share_ext_content_raw",
                    "value": {
                    "android.intent.extra.TEXT": "123 Main St, City, ST 12345\n\nhttps://goo.gl/maps/X"
                    },
                    "locale": "en-US",
                    "timestamp_ms": "1539465730"
                    }

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

                      Okay colder mornings have revealed this isn't working as efficiently as I would like - so have been ramping up the charging (only charging to 75% when plugged in now, and when I detect I have finished my shower I charge the remaining 5% plus the extra 2% when using coffee machine). That's not keeping pace with the coldness plus I'm not sure this is working as efficiently as it could.

                      Case in point - if you select a supercharger as your navigation destination the car specifically starts "pre-conditioning the battery" in anticipation.

                      That has me wondering... if I send a remote navigation request to go to a supercharger that might trigger the pre-conditioning that we seem to not be able to do via API....

                      There does seem to be API support for sending navigation requests so hoping you might be able to incorporate into the plugin?
                      The ability to send navigation requests is already there as an event action.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by shill View Post

                        The ability to send navigation requests is already there as an event action.
                        Dohhhhhhhhh didn't even think of checking there - legend thanks mate will play with that tonight 👍👍👍👍👍

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

                          Dohhhhhhhhh didn't even think of checking there - legend thanks mate will play with that tonight 👍👍👍👍👍
                          Getting colder here now and the past 2 mornings I've had limited regen. Wondering if you landed on a method to trigger the battery conditioning?? Did navigate to Supercharger work?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X