Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randman View Post
    Has anyone tried the MIMOLite with their doorbell:
    I have a few MIMOLite's, but not using them with a doorbell. It should work and can be used with a dry-contact (reed switch) or a voltage input. If the latter, the inputs is DC only, so you would have to convert the AC from the doorbell to DC.

Thanks
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

This thread talks about how to use the MIMOLite:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...c,23417.0.html

However, it sounds like it only works for one doorbell button press every 20 seconds. The thread above references another thread where an Aeon door sensor is used with a relay and seems to be easier than using the Elk circuits.

Comment

The intervals are configurable (z-wave parameter 9). Looks like the minimum is 10 seconds if you set parameter 9 to 1. That should be often enough for a doorbell.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Do you use UPB?

The UIO32 can take in a Doorbell signal.

I still need to wire mine in. I just don't have any Doorbell wire in the house.

I've contemplated just taking some old CAT5 and using 2 pairs for each + and -.

I suppose I should just get off my butt and measure the current and then see if that is enough for the current needed for my door bell.

I was going to just rectify the the signal and change it to DC, but that was a bust as well...my builder decided to install the "wrong" transformer for my doorbell...so I end up with a funky voltage, that when rectified was too much to drive my 3-8V optical relay, and not enough to drive the 18-36V optical relay. I wanted enough isolation - and I was being lazy about making a circuit. It has been LOW on my priority list, but working from home now. I have missed 3 packages because when I put my music on, I cannot hear the doorbell from where my office is located.

So, it has been moving up my priority list. I guess I'll have to employ one of the kids or even Mommy to push the doorbell button so I can take a current reading and then see if I am able to loop the door bell into my UIO32 or not. I hope so. That would be nice :-)
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I used to use an X10 DS10a to sense my doorbell (I put its sensor right next to the doorbell’s magnet). I tried the same thing with an Everspring door/window Z-Wave sensor, but you need to keep the doorbell pressed for at least 2 seconds in order for the Z-Wave sensor to sense that the doorbell has been pressed.

I got the Elk boards mentioned elsewhere but I never got around to using them. Seemed too much trouble and wasn't happy about them needing power…

Using info from a Vera forum, I got Z-Wave working by using the following relay: Functional Devices Ribu1c Relay:

https://www.functionaldevices.com/do...ets/RIBU1C.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LESCI2/...=I3MM9QDHQ70D1)

The relay’s yellow w/ white stripe wire and white w/ blue strip wire connects to the doorbell chime. So, when the doorbell is pressed, the circuit is complete.

The relay’s solid yellow wire and solid blue wire connect to the Z-Wave sensor’s wire inputs.

Now, whenever the doorbell is pressed, no matter how short the press duration, my Z-Wave door sensor activates!

In addition to the above, I replaced my doorbell with a Skybell doorbell. Now, I get notified on my iPhone two ways: via the Skybell app and also via a Pushover message from HomeSeer. Z-Wave notification is important, since
            I can have HomeSeer do other things (turn on lights, have it start recording an external camera [not the Skybell], etc.). I have an event in HomeSeer that will send an command to my Synology NAS to have it start recording with my camera by the door.

Anyway, attached is a schematic of how I hooked things up.

It's possible to use a battery operated Z-Wave device, but since i prefer to minimize having to replace batteries, I used a MimoLite.
            The relay’s solid yellow and solid blue are connected to the Z-Wave sensor.
            To use MimoLite, they would be connected to the MimoLite’s + and - terminals
            (these are the ones right next to the Mimolite's power terminals).

The one thing about the MimoLite is that it can only handle state changes in 10 second granularity. So, if someone presses the doorbell, say, 3 times in 10 seconds, you will only get one notification. In fact, I think if you press the doorbell once, and then press again in less than 10 seconds, and a third time less than 10 seconds from previous press, MimoLite won't send anymore signals. So, you have to wait like 10 or 20 seconds between presses. But this has never been an issue for me. In fact, one can think of this as a feature to minimize annoyance when someone keeps pressing the button non-stop. Also, if someone comes and keeps pressing the doorbell, do you really want to your HomeSeer event(s) to trigger for each doorbell press, or just the first time?

EDIT: Don't know why, but the text to this original post was removed, so I added them (plus minor edits) on 11/8/19.
            Attached Files

Comment

We've moved again and needed a new way to capture the doorbell into HS3 since we went 100% Z-WAVE here (and because the RING plug-in is not working, yet). It took less than 5 minutes. Much neater setup with the DS100+. No wires! Just stick it on and you're done! Stick another one on the other side to capture backdoor rings. (But we don't have a back door...) Easy Peasy!

Comment

A long time ago, I had tried to use a Z-Wave door sensor like you did. Don’t recall the exact model (it was before the DS100+). The problem that I had was it didn’t work for very short doorbell button presses (the kind that UPS or FedEx drivers seem to be adept at :-)). Hence, I had to use a relay, and to avoid having to replace batteries, used a MimoLite. But if it works with DS100+, then that’s good!

Comment

But if it works with DS100+, then that’s good!
                  Good point. I haven't had the short ring issue because we have a RING doorbell and it signals the doorbell on its own when its button is pushed. HOWEVER, when I had a X-10 DS10A at our previous house without a RING doorbell, it worked fine and don't recall a short ring issue.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

Good point. I haven't had the short ring issue because we have a RING doorbell and it signals the doorbell on its own when its button is pushed. HOWEVER, when I had a X-10 DS10A at our previous house without a RING doorbell, it worked fine and don't recall a short ring issue.

Yes, before I switched to Z-Wave, I used to have the X-10 with my doorbell, and it worked great for short button presses. It's only the Z-Wave devices that didn't work well with short button presses.

Comment

I don't quite understand randman's drawing. In my case I don't have a chime so I guess that's where my 10W/10Ohm resistor is. But what about that relay? The doorbell constantly needs electricity for the camera, etc. Hence, a current is flowing and so there is a voltage over the resistor and therefor the relay will always be 'triggering'.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                        I don't quite understand randman's drawing. In my case I don't have a chime so I guess that's where my 10W/10Ohm resistor is. But what about that relay? The doorbell constantly needs electricity for the camera, etc. Hence, a current is flowing and so there is a voltage over the resistor and therefor the relay will always be 'triggering'.
                        I noticed that for some unknown reason, the text that went with my post from 5/2015 (http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...90#post1180790) was no longer there when I checked the post today. I added the text back in (I had some notes that I saved in my PC). Hope this helps.

Comment

so bringing this back up... is the
                          DS100+ the easiest way at this time? I want to change our doorbell out to a nicer one vs the 1994 unit in the house. A friend got a doorbell where when you press the button, it will play a tune, you can upload any mp3 to it... so I was thinking of something like this and then need to determine if I can use a zwave or x10 unit.

I was just getting ready to start my own topic and post up with a ds10a BUT... I see DS100+ and it looks super clean!

here is my current ancient doorbell...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191117_143256.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1340820
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            so bringing this back up... is the
                            DS100+ the easiest way at this time? I want to change our doorbell out to a nicer one vs the 1994 unit in the house. A friend got a doorbell where when you press the button, it will play a tune, you can upload any mp3 to it... so I was thinking of something like this and then need to determine if I can use a zwave or x10 unit.

I was just getting ready to start my own topic and post up with a ds10a BUT... I see DS100+ and it looks super clean!

here is my current ancient doorbell...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20191117_143256.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1340820
                            See my post from October 2018. Relying on just magnetic field didn’t work well for me since it required a long button press, so I had to use a relay.

Comment

See my post from October 2018. Relying on just magnetic field didn’t work well for me since it required a long button press, so I had to use a relay.
                              gotcha but you didnt use that newer one. regardless... ill have to dremel this thing out. think im just gonna buy a new doorbell then worry
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

gotcha but you didnt use that newer one. regardless... ill have to dremel this thing out. think im just gonna buy a new doorbell then worry
                                Yeah, I can’t speak for the newer one. My experience was the magnetic field approach worked great for me back when I had an X10 sensor but the particular battery Z-Wave sensor that I used required too long a button press

I was fortunate that right behind my chime was a closet so it was easy to drill a small hole behind the chime into the closet. I put the relay and a MimoLite in the closet. More work than a battery operated Z-Wave, but I really like not having to replace batteries.

Comment

Working...
                                X