Adding mDNS (Zeroconf) Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding mDNS (Zeroconf) Discovery

Ver 3.0.0.5 (BETA) - Added mDNS (Zeroconf)

Since I'm not home - I can't test myself, please anybody try and report back.

When plugin starts - it should automatically discover the device - assuming they are on the same network.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-11 (1).png Views:	19 Size:	23.1 KB ID:	1507375

ISSUE #1: TURNING ON ZEROCONF DISCOVERY AFTER HAVING MANUALLY ADDED DEVICES IN OLDER VERSIONS OF THE PLUGIN WILL CREATE DUPLICATE HS DEVICES THAT DON'T INITIALLY WORK BUT DON'T BREAK THE OLD DEVICES EITHER.

Heya alexbk66 ,

Just got into some formal testing but I noticed this issue even before starting on this as unusual HS devices appeared on my system right after installing the beta plugin. The new Zeroconf discovery works but it detects remootios that have already been manually added to the plugin and then creates new extra remootio HS devices Remootio.Remootio and Remootio.Output. The extra Remootio.Remootio device status shows as "Unauthorised" and the Remootio.Output device shows as "Unknown". I didn't attempt to update the API keys on these new devices as my old devices were still working fine (and my events are all using the old devices). These new non-working duplicates I may eventually migrate over to but for now I'll stick with my manually created devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zztempdeleteme.png
Views:	59
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1511718

The first two Remootio's above were added manually in a previous version of the plugin and the last two just appeared there at some point after installing this new Beta. i have a 3rd remootio which I first deleted it's manual entry for and I will turn it back on, wait for a random IP address to be assigned and then see how the zeroconf works for that one. That'll be in a followup post...just wanted to show this this issue first. Thanks again!

-R

P.S. I wonder if this dup creation has to do with the ID names? In the older version of the plugin, the ID's were generated in the format XXX-XXX but in the new version it looks like a longer 20 character ID. Does the new device creation look for the ID before deciding whether or not to create a new device? If so, the ID format change could be what's causing this.

Comment

ISSUE #2: ZEROCONF-DISCOVERED REMOOTIOS WILL NOT WORK WITH DYNAMIC IP ADDRESSES (WITHOUT MANUAL INTERVENTION AT EACH IP CHANGE)

Testing a brand new Remootio addition to the plugin (where it hadn't already been previously manually added), looking at this first screenshot..the 5th entry is the newly discovered Zeroconf Remootio with a Dynamic IP address. I updated this new device with the API Secret Key and the API Auth Key and it became usable in HS as expected. The red question mark icon changed to green check icon as soon as the API details were entered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	zztempdeleteme2.png Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	1511719

I then rebooted the new device (entry #5 above), which caused it to get a new dynamic IP address. No new device was auto-added by the plugin, which is good I suppose...but it didn't automatically update the IP address of the existing entry so it became unusable. Once I manually changed the IP address on this new entry to the newly assigned IP address of the Remootio, it immediately went green and started working again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zztempdeleteme3.png
Views:	26
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1511720

Comment

Originally posted by IKUS View Post
        ISSUE #1: TURNING ON ZEROCONF DISCOVERY AFTER HAVING MANUALLY ADDED DEVICES IN OLDER VERSIONS OF THE PLUGIN WILL CREATE DUPLICATE HS DEVICES THAT DON'T INITIALLY WORK BUT DON'T BREAK THE OLD DEVICES EITHER.

P.S. I wonder if this dup creation has to do with the ID names? In the older version of the plugin, the ID's were generated in the format XXX-XXX but in the new version it looks like a longer 20 character ID. Does the new device creation look for the ID before deciding whether or not to create a new device? If so, the ID format change could be what's causing this.
        Yeah, that's the reason. But i can't do much about it. The second issue is a problem I need to check. That's the whole idea of mDNS - so it should work with dynamic IP...

Comment

Sounds good. Let me know once you're ready with the fix to "issue #2" and I'll test it again.

Comment

Working...
          X