-Tom-

Originally posted by twa8000 View Post
    Which DSC system to buy?

Can i use any of the Power Series DSC?

They have a couple

which one will work with this plugin.. i know i need a IT100

-Tom-
    Hey Tom,

They actually also have 1864 as well. They only difference is the number of zones supported, number of panels, partitions and, customization options. 1832 and 1863 are basically the same with twice the number of zones and a few more little things.

I would source the DSC Power Series 1832. Here is what you will need and they are sold separate for the most part. Buying a kit rarely gives you a price advantage:
    1. 1832 Panel and Box - Comes together or individual. If you will put it in an enclosure, skip the box but, you will only save like 6 bucks.
    2. IT-100
    3. Power Transformer
    4. PK5500 Keypad (for no wireless) or, if you will need ANY wireless, I would get the RFK5500. It has the same look at the PK5500 but has a built in wireless reciever and is only like 20 bucks more. It makes installs WAY easier
    5. Interior Bell - Mandatory (could be siren)
    6. Exterior Bell - Optional
    7. 12VDC lead acid battery
    8. Smoke and Heat Detector
    9. Door contacts - if you need the wiress ones, get the vanishing barrel types
    10. Window Contacts - if you have vinyl windows and need wiress, they make a vanishing one to. They all use a 5/8 throw rare earth magnet wich gives you 5/8 inches of separation. That is HUGE!
    11. RJ31x jack
    12. PIR - Motion Sensors
    13. Glass Break Detectors - Optional
    14. Co2 Detector - May be code in your area... check first.
    15. PC-Link - Cable is charged, software is free - HIGHLY recommended.
    16. Straight through Serial cable or, (1) DB9 female to Cat5 and (1) DB9 MALE to Cat5 adapter for IT-100 to HS.

Now, if you have never done this, you WILL have lots of researching to do. Ping me and I can help you out as I just went through this. There are a TON of gotchas during install.

As far as integration...

Well, don't expect much from the HS version. It does the basics and thats it. More complex tasks require scripts with the HS plugin. I would NOT buy HS's unless you already have it from PRO. Otherwise, get Bob's (Blade). I would have if mine was not already "included" in Pro.

Stay away from Maxsys unless you REALLY know what you are doing and you have a huge place to cover.

If you need a place to buy from, let me know. I have a guy who will get you stuff at unreal prices. I am very happy with him. If I get the bid to do my 195 unit apartment, I will be going with DSC from this guy..

Hope this helps!
    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Wow thanks for all this.. i had another question.. if i get some motion detectors, can i use them to trigger lights in the room through a plugin? when the system is not armed?

I assume you can but do you know if there is a large delay? Because i will hold off on buy some more zwave motion detectors if i can just use the ones with my DSC system

-Tom-
      -Tom-

Comment

Wow thanks for all this.. i had another question.. if i get some motion detectors, can i use them to trigger lights in the room through a plugin? when the system is not armed?

I assume you can but do you know if there is a large delay? Because i will hold off on buy some more zwave motion detectors if i can just use the ones with my DSC system

-Tom-
        Ok, the delay is directly related to the polling interval on your DSC. I have mine set to 2 seconds and they seem to work ok but, not well enough. I am not sure if I have mine set correctly or what...

I use cheap X10 motion sensors to detect occupancy.

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

I don't use motions for anything beyond security but in my testing with the DSC panel and the BLDSC plug-in the motion coming on opened the zone virtually instantly, My polling is set at 60 min so I don't think the polling setting makes any difference for a zone opening, the panel sends that out as soon as it's received without needing to be polled.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

My understanding is that its updated in realtime, there is no need to poll, you can actually disable polling...

Also Dafunktyfunk, can you share your DSC supplier with me.. you can send me an email through this board if you would like, Thanks!

-Tom-
            -Tom-

Comment

My understanding is that its updated in realtime, there is no need to poll, you can actually disable polling...

Also Dafunktyfunk, can you share your DSC supplier with me.. you can send me an email through this board if you would like, Thanks!

-Tom-
              Hey Tom,

Just sent you the email.

Comment

Does anyone else ever use the DSC motion sensors in the system to turn on lights? Just want to make sure it does work before i invest in about 10 motions sensors...

-Tom-
                -Tom-

Comment

Does anyone else ever use the DSC motion sensors in the system to turn on lights? Just want to make sure it does work before i invest in about 10 motions sensors...

-Tom-
                  One minute, let me check it...

Comment

That would be a negative ghost rider....

The wireless sensors time out during high traffic to save battery so, that will have an affect on your wireless motion tracking...

It does work though when there has been little to no traffic and the PIR is not in high traffic mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                      That would be a negative ghost rider....

The wireless sensors time out during high traffic to save battery so, that will have an affect on your wireless motion tracking...

It does work though when there has been little to no traffic and the PIR is not in high traffic mode.
                      Mine would be wired motion sensors so i dont think they would time out....

-Tom-
                      -Tom-

Comment

Then you are in good shape. It works and works well...

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                          Then you are in good shape. It works and works well...
                          Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how it turns out!

-Tom-
                          -Tom-

Comment

Hey All! I was reading this posting about the DSC 1832 integration with Homeseer. I am in the process of adding an alarm for my new house. I have homeseer Pro currently. I always wanted to integrate the alarm system somehow... So I have a couple of questions:

-Im assuming I plug the IT-100 to a serial port in my PC, correct? How does this module hook to the 1832?
                            -Will I be able to see every door / window (every wireless sensor) in homeseer as a line item (Like when you see light modules, etc) and trigger actions when doors open (for example, if a door with a dsc wireless door sensor opens, turn xyz light that is hooked to homeseer)
                            -So the key to using wireless windows sensors is the RFK5500 ? It acts as a "receiver" for the wireless sensors, correct? Is there anything else I need?
                            -How does the RFK5500 hooks to the 1832 panel? Wireless or hard wired?Has anyone tried the ION sensors with this system? They are concealed in windows and doors and they are very slick, but do they work?

Comment

I can't answer all your questions about the RFK5500 as I've not tried to hook one into HomeSeer but i can tell you it's a wired connection to the panel. As far as everything else yes the IT-100 also hooks into the panel, through the keybus, and to a serial port on your HomeSeer PC, standard serial cable works just fine for this. If it's programmed into the panel and working there the IT-100 will communicate virtually everything to HomeSeer, devices, triggers etc.
                              Marty
                              ------
                              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X