Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
    A security system reports to a monitoring service. That reporting was always done via POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) service (phone line). Later came the advent of cellular boards so that the reporting can be done via cellular without the worry about somebody cutting the phone line. That has been around for a while now - the newest (which is not that new, really) is reporting via the Internet. It is kind of like going back to the phone line era in that if your Internet is down then it cannot report, but USUALLY the Internet is used with a failover of a conventional phone line.

However, it gets to the monitoring service, the service has a list of procedures it follows. For a burglary it might be to call the house, you, your wife, and if none of those result in an "all OK" password, then the police are dispatched BY the monitoring service. They do not call 911, they call a phone number for the police department. In the case of fire, it may be different in that they are told to dispatch the fire department, THEN try to contact people.

But that is how security monitoring works and why you pay for the service - the panel is NOT allowed (by law) to contact the police, fire department, or ambulance service directly.
    I get all that (although that's not universal by any means except in larger cities), but you said he didn't want to pay for a service was my disconnect..

We'll return to the regularly scheduled programming now

Thanks,
    Z

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      Rick, have you considered DSC with envisalink? I know it means replacing equipment you may already have, but what you are asking for can be done very easily with that combo and hooks into HS very easily. With pushover alerts, you get a pseudo monitoring without the monthly cost.
      Yep - got no problem with DSC except that with several hundreds of dollars in wireless sensors, I have to go with something compatible with GE/Interlogix 519.5MHz sensors.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
        I get all that (although that's not universal by any means except in larger cities), but you said he didn't want to pay for a service was my disconnect..

We'll return to the regularly scheduled programming now

Thanks,
        Z
        Monitoring service for security is one fee - willing to pay AlarmRelay or any other inexpensive one for that - but Alarm.com has an additional fee for their service (home automation/home control). Even if I do not get that, their monitoring service is done by them so I cannot get it discounted (at least I do not believe) like I can for any other generic panel.
        Regards,

Comment

Hi Matt - thanks. They are not Honeywell 5800 but compatible. They are S-Line which is GE/Interlogix protocol like the Honeywell 5800 series I believe. 519.5MHz.
          OK. So looking at our panels and wireless, we run the Crystal sensors... example below.

Model number
          Brown: 60-362N-11-319.5 (NX-651N)
          White: 60-362N-10-319.5 (NX-650N)
          Frequency 319.5
          MHz
          Compatibility
          Interlogix 319.5 MHz control panels/receiver

...are you sure yours are at 519.5?
          MM

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
            Frequency 319.5
            MHz
            Compatibility
            Interlogix 319.5 MHz control panels/receiver

...are you sure yours are at 519.5?
            MM
            Sorry - type-o from bad memory. They are 319.5MHz.
            Regards,

Comment

Ugh... Interlogix got back to me and said that there is no IP module for the Concord 4... Oy!
              Regards,

Comment

Ugh... Interlogix got back to me and said that there is no IP module for the Concord 4... Oy!
                Elk supports the GE sensors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X