No announcement yet.

HS3 RPi Concord 4 Plugin Repeated Disconnects without Reconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What hardware have you got connected to your RPI. Do you have a Windows machine involved in your setup.

The lack of information on your physical infrastructure makes it difficult to figure out what else may be causing your problem.

I asked you to run the cat command to see what OS distribution you were running. I assumed you were running the latest Raspbian version (Buster) but it appears you may be running Debian. Again just a guess.

My personal recommendation would to be to run Raspbian Buster with Mono 6.12. You could backup your HS configuration, install what I suggested and restore your HS configuration backup. There’s plenty of
    posts on the forum on this subject.

Again I have no idea what hardware, if any you have attached to your Pi4 but you’ll need to be mindful of this if you have.

Maybe for your your own benefit document your infrastructure. It makes life a lot easier for troubleshooting.

As Matt has stated patching a fix for a plugin timing non issue wouldn’t make any sense. I’ve no doubt your problem lies in your own setup and unfortunately you’ll have to do a hardware trace before you get to the bottom of this.

I’ve made a number of suggestions based on the information you have supplied but really I’ve nothing else to add to this. Your setup is a little more complex than was first suggested so without the full picture I’m afraid that’s all I can do for now.

Comment

Ha! Thanks, CCS, but I'm just now seeing the request to run the cat command. If you notice my post above was within one minute of you posting, so I hit send and didn't see yours post.

Anyway, I have no windows machine involved in my HS3 system with the exception of as the MQTT server I'm using for weather instruments.
      Yes, I'm running Debian and Mono 5.18, so it sounds like I should upgrade to see if that fixes the problem. I'm at work and can't get to the cat command yet.

Hardware layout is quite simple:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Home Network Layout.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	1457231

Again, it is worth mentioning, the only thing that changed to cause my repeated disconnections was my router dying and nothing else has been acting up. The latest stability enhancements have occurred when I changed the new router DHCP leases from 23h59m to 300+ days.

I appreciate all the feedback. I truly do. Thank you.

Mike

Comment

Do you really need an RPI4 in the mix. Have you ever had or considered running HS3 on your Windows machine. Is there something else out of the ordinary running on this setup. This wouldn’t be a typical HS setup. Looks a little commercial to me.

Comment

Good questions. My rackPC is quite long in the tooth (I built it 2011). It is on a UPS backup and used to run my HS3 system. All the USB ports were failing on it, and as mentioned above, you have to have those for Z-wave and X-10 interfaces.
          I bought the RPi and moved HS3 to it to offload the rackPC and soon to decomission it. I also thought it was a good idea to have a dedicated machine for HS3, and the RPi is in the rack too to take advantage of the UPS.
          I guess I could buy another small form factor PC and move HS3 back to the PC realm.

I'm curious what you think looks commercial about my system?

Comment

Originally posted by mhiles View Post
            Good questions. My rackPC is quite long in the tooth (I built it 2011). It is on a UPS backup and used to run my HS3 system. All the USB ports were failing on it, and as mentioned above, you have to have those for Z-wave and X-10 interfaces.
            I bought the RPi and moved HS3 to it to offload the rackPC and soon to decomission it. I also thought it was a good idea to have a dedicated machine for HS3, and the RPi is in the rack too to take advantage of the UPS.
            I guess I could buy another small form factor PC and move HS3 back to the PC realm.

I'm curious what you think looks commercial about my system?
            It just looked a little commercial on first glance to me. I’m not a Windows user so all my solutions are Linux based. An elderly laptop running Ubuntu 20.04, a router it connects to either with Ethernet or WiFi.

My Concord panel is at the heart of my setup. The RPI is located in the Concord cabinet and powered via the alarm backup battery. Both the AM and the X10 controller are connected directly to the RPI via USB. Comms between the RPI and my router are done via WiFi. Simple and solid setup.

Enough about me. Mixing and matching Windows and Linux does come with its own pitfalls. I’m assuming you’re using Debian 10 and not the traditional Raspbian Buster as you’d find on an RPI. I’m sure you have your reasons for this but I’d prefer to use the distribution that was designed for your board.

You can do the sudo apt update/upgrade on your RPI and see what version of Mono you end up with. If you hadn’t originally pointed your Mono installation at the Mono project repository when installing your HS you won’t get the benefit of the latest version of Mono. Again that’s for a different day.

As your infrastructure is mainly Windows based and your RPI is located beside your Windows machine, personally I’d opt for a Windows based solution to HS and use your RPI for some other purpose.

Comment

I'm not a RPi HS user but is there still a limit of HSPI's that can be run on RPi for HS? I read it's like 5 PI's? Or was that for pre RPi4?
              I do run RPi3's for other things like 3d printer, LED matrix's and monitoring Generac but not HS. My WIndows box runs HS and Milestone video. I can see the benefits of both ways... albeit the HS PI limitation on RPi, if it still exists with ver4 (8GB too).
              -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                I'm not a RPi HS user but is there still a limit of HSPI's that can be run on RPi for HS? I read it's like 5 PI's? Or was that for pre RPi4?
                I do run RPi3's for other things like 3d printer, LED matrix's and monitoring Generac but not HS. My WIndows box runs HS and Milestone video. I can see the benefits of both ways... albeit the HS PI limitation on RPi, if it still exists with ver4 (8GB too).
                -Matt
                It’s still very subjective at the moment.

I stuck with a RPI3b+ running Concord plugin, X10 plugin, Netcam and HS Buddy. I definitely wouldn’t push it any further.

Can’t comment on the RPI4 but with the additional power requirements it would place on the 7ah backup battery of the Concord panel I imagine unwanted side effects may occur.

I still wouldn’t cram a load of plugins into an RPI4 even the 8gb version.

Comment

OK. That's what I thought I read in threads. I think HS programming is not really optimized completely. I hear things like "memory leaks" which granted are hard to diagnose but necessary to create good code. I get pissy when I see memory leaks, heap dumps and open connections in code under my ownership. Coding 90% of the app takes 10% of the time and cleanup/optimizing the last 10% takes 90%. I've been happy enough with HS albeit a little too much code obfuscation for PI developers. -Matt 🤨

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                    OK. That's what I thought I read in threads. I think HS programming is not really optimized completely. I hear things like "memory leaks" which granted are hard to diagnose but necessary to create good code. I get pissy when I see memory leaks, heap dumps and open connections in code under my ownership. Coding 90% of the app takes 10% of the time and cleanup/optimizing the last 10% takes 90%. I've been happy enough with HS albeit a little too much code obfuscation for PI developers. -Matt 🤨
                    I think the whole concept of 3rd party plugins is fraught with potential problems. Besides the design and maintenance of same which can be time consuming, the joined up approach with the core code developer needs to be robust and transparent.

I’ll be honest, I was originally drawn to HS by it’s support for the Concord 4 panel and the fact that HS was doable vis Mono. The fact that it was available on a free to use basis, while being a bonus was not a major deciding factor.

Many of the other options at the time were very experimental, poorly maintained and abandoned at the time. Vera was very useable but Lua code didn’t really appeal to me and has since fallen away as part of their long term plans. Home Assistant is experiencing a similar fate in relation to Concord support.

The fact that the Concord 4 panel and it’s accessories are no longer being manufactured doesn’t exactly encourage new entrants to code for it. One major plus for the panel is its rock solid and reliable so it should last a long time unlike many of its competitors out there today.

So far my approach via an RPI built in to the panel has worked flawlessly even with the migration to HS4 and long may that last. I think the keep it simple solution has been the best approach for me.

Comment

Not to "poke the bear", but my HS3-RPi system is currently running 7 plugins without a hitch. Are there different versions of the RPi software? With the exception of the Concord4 intermittents mentioned here, the system has worked GREAT. No complaints at all...thus I'll admit I'm hesitant to try to upgrade the Pi OS to Buster....🙈

Comment

There is the Raspberry PI image of HomeSeer with the limit of 5 plugins and there is Standard and Pro versions with no plugin limitations.

Comment

Not to "poke the bear", but my HS3-RPi system is currently running 7 plugins without a hitch. Are there different versions of the RPi software? With the exception of the Concord4 intermittents mentioned here, the system has worked GREAT. No complaints at all...thus I'll admit I'm hesitant to try to upgrade the Pi OS to Buster....🙈
                          Poke away but I reckon your priority at this stage is to get those intermittent disconnects sorted out before you consider upgrading to HS4. Once you’ve done that ensure that any other plugins you use will be supported by HS4.

The plugin limit was more to do with licence version rather than limitation. Yes up to RPI3b+ you were pushing your luck exceeding 5 plugins with a HS Standard/Pro licence. Memory limits etc. With your board RPI4 (4gb or 8gb not sure which) that shouldn’t be an issue.

What I would recommend is the latest version of the RaspberryPi OS (Buster in this case) in preference to the likes of Debian or Ubuntu which can also be installed on that board.

So a full HS3 backup, a fresh OS install the RaspberryPi OS, the latest version of Mono from the Mono project repository, any other bits and pieces and finally install HS3 and restore your HS3 config backup and you’re good to go.

Whatever you decide to do, take your time and there’s plenty here on the forum to guide the way. Take care !!!

Comment

Good morning, Folks, my Concord disconnect saga continues with a new twist this morning.

If you recall, I'm running HS3 on RPi4B. For the most part I have a well-functioning system, and after I extended the DHCP leases from my router, many of the Concord disconnects disappeared.

I think, although not definitively proven, that this is an HSBuddy problem! (In the pharma world they call it drug interactions. Here we could call it plugin interference?)

This morning at around 10:40A my Concord panel started complaining of disconnect to the computer...(very annoying, intermittent beeping that scares the dog for some reason). Anyway, I see in the HS Log that many, many COM port errors started at 10:30A right after HSBuddy did this "Cleanup thread removed 241 entries from device history." I went to the Concord Config screen where the status showed that the COM port was initialized but Concord panel was not connected. I clicked on Panel Disconnect anyway, then clicked again to try to get it to reconnect. No luck. I was about to reboot the RPi because this has fixed these COM errors before, but instead I decided to try something else. I uninstalled the HSBuddy plugin, then tried the same Disconnect/Reconnect routine on the Concord Config page. Voila! Connection.

Thoughts? Puzzling to say the least, but since I haven't been using HSBuddy much I plan to leave it uninstalled, for now.

Mike

Comment

Good morning, Folks, my Concord disconnect saga continues with a new twist this morning.

If you recall, I'm running HS3 on RPi4B. For the most part I have a well-functioning system, and after I extended the DHCP leases from my router, many of the Concord disconnects disappeared.

I think, although not definitively proven, that this is an HSBuddy problem! (In the pharma world they call it drug interactions. Here we could call it plugin interference?)

This morning at around 10:40A my Concord panel started complaining of disconnect to the computer...(very annoying, intermittent beeping that scares the dog for some reason). Anyway, I see in the HS Log that many, many COM port errors started at 10:30A right after HSBuddy did this "Cleanup thread removed 241 entries from device history." I went to the Concord Config screen where the status showed that the COM port was initialized but Concord panel was not connected. I clicked on Panel Disconnect anyway, then clicked again to try to get it to reconnect. No luck. I was about to reboot the RPi because this has fixed these COM errors before, but instead I decided to try something else. I uninstalled the HSBuddy plugin, then tried the same Disconnect/Reconnect routine on the Concord Config page. Voila! Connection.

Thoughts? Puzzling to say the least, but since I haven't been using HSBuddy much I plan to leave it uninstalled, for now.

Mike
                              You’ll probably find with HS Buddy history enabled it floods your logs. Try disabling the history in the HS Buddy plug in and see if that makes a difference. I don’t use that plug in but I’ve seen systems crash with that persistent logging. Unless you really need that plug in disable it completely. HS Mobile is more than capable of handling your needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X