GE Interlogix Motion Detector Intermittent Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE Interlogix Motion Detector Intermittent Fail

This really isn't a Concord issue, but twice now, my wireless GE Interlogix Motion Detector has caused the police to be called. The first time was perhaps 4 years ago (after being in service for 8 years) and the police actually came to the house. The more recent time was 4 weeks ago and we were able to turn them around before they got here. I did not look at the log either time. :-(

I suspected a weak battery, but the battery is a 3.6 v lithium that measures 3.67 v. And the detector can run on either 2 ea. 1.5 volt batteries or 1 ea. 3.6. so it doesn't seem that the battery is the issue.

The first time, I suspected a spider crawled across the detector. This time... I don't know. But maybe it is a communications issue that happens every 4 years. How can that be? Is there any way to measure the RF level? The detector is several walls and two floors from the Concord unit.

Anyone have an idea?

Yes, I have one in my garage that triggers alarm faults in the middle of the night. Many times. I attributed it to spiders but it does get worse when I collect shipping boxes in the back of my truck.

Im not aware of a 4 year trigger. The log probably wont tell you anything useful other than it caught the trigger. I've also not heard these get flaky like the wireless sensor cap issue. Possible? I have 3, 2 in house that work flawlessly. That garage one is persnickity.

Sorry no help here, maybe spider. I had a smoke alarm get triggered by spider at night which made me crap pants. Ugghh.

Comment

Thanks Matt. I also have three, and the other two work flawlessly, but the two are hardwired. Why no spiders in those? 🤔 I suppose what I should do is leave it active for 4 years minus a day then give it a week off before putting it back in service. 😁

Comment

My 3 are all wireless and the 2 inside work great.

Yeah, or you could remove battery every 2 years cycle and confuse it to reset. The 4 year thing might be some battery trigger reminder we don't know about?

Mine take 1 or 2 batteries but I have 2 batteries in for longevity. I haven't changed them in years. Also my garage one does it year round so its not temp related.

Comment

Good idea! I can't find a record of having replaced the 3.6 lithium when if failed 4 years ago. And it still measures 3.67.

I did read that you can use 1 ea 3.6 volt battery or 2 ea 1.5 volt batteries. Maybe it requires 3 volts to run and it is smart enough to put two 1.5 volt batteries in series if two of them are plugged in (??)

Matt, can you disable a motion detector from the Concord plugin configuration page? Until I figure out how to deal with the failure mode of the detector, I figure disabling it is the best option. I'd like to be able to monitor its performance but not have it online.

Also, do you know how to uncheck the box 'Hide Unused Zones' on the Configuration page - Concord Zones. Seems it should toggle but doesn't seem to want to.

Comment

Originally posted by frankc View Post
            Good idea! I can't find a record of having replaced the 3.6 lithium when if failed 4 years ago. And it still measures 3.67.

I did read that you can use 1 ea 3.6 volt battery or 2 ea 1.5 volt batteries. Maybe it requires 3 volts to run and it is smart enough to put two 1.5 volt batteries in series if two of them are plugged in (??)
            I run 2 SAFT batteries in mine which is 3.6v ea. I'm assuming it does not run voltage in series but parallel (3.6v+/- max). There are different models of sensors.

Matt, can you disable a motion detector from the Concord plugin configuration page? Until I figure out how to deal with the failure mode of the detector, I figure disabling it is the best option. I'd like to be able to monitor its performance but not have it online.
            I'm not sure you can disable the MD in the PI. However, I think you want it removed from the panel to not cause any false alarms? I figured your system is monitored? Disabling in Concord would remove any actions from logging and such.

Also, do you know how to uncheck the box 'Hide Unused Zones' on the Configuration page - Concord Zones. Seems it should toggle but doesn't seem to want to.
            That should "hide" any zones not used. Mine show just the zones I have configured but I have many more not used, not shown either checking or unchecking.
            Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt for your reply.

I'll go ahead and delete the MD from the Concord panel itself. I've got my manual out and I'll go from there. Yes, my system is monitored by Brinks.

The problem I'm having with the "Hide Unused Zones" check box is that while I was able to check it to hide the unused zones, when I click on it again to 'uncheck' it, it immediately 're-checks' itself. Like you say, it doesn't make a lot of difference since there really isn't anything to display for the unused zones anyway.

Thanks again Matt.

Comment

Thanks Matt for your reply.

The problem I'm having with the "Hide Unused Zones" check box is that while I was able to check it to hide the unused zones, when I click on it again to 'uncheck' it, it immediately 're-checks' itself. Like you say, it doesn't make a lot of difference since there really isn't anything to display for the unused zones anyway.
                Thanks again Matt.
                Mine does the same in Chrome and Edge. In Firefox, it actually allows for unchecking but doesn't display any differences. On refresh the cb comes back checked. I'll have to investigate that one.
                Matt

Comment

Matt... I attempted to delete the MD and in the process, I rebooted HS4. Upon restarting, the Hide Unused Zones button is unchecked...

I'm using Edge.

Now the MD does not show up in the Panel. But it still does in the plugin. I'll continue messing with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X