Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working, but not connected to Eyez-On server

Hi,

I have an EVL-4 card connected to a Vista 10P alarm system. Homeseer has devices for each of zones and they properly record the status of the zone, and I can control the alarm system (Arm, Disarm, etc) from Homeseer.

When I log onto the Eyez-On website it says my device is not communicating with the website. And in my Homeseer logs, every 12 hours (plus a couple of minutes) I get error messages from the plugin saying a socket error has occurred. I assume that this is the plugin trying, and failing, to reach the Eyez-On server every 12 hours to perform some sort of function.

Is this correct? If so, I have two questions:

1. Is there any reason the plugin needs to connect to the Eyez-On server? Or is it OK that it's disconnected
    2. Is there a way to cancel the call to the server every 12 hours, so the log is not filled with errors?

If my assumptions above are incorrect (which they probably are), what's the explanation for what is happening, and how can I fix it? Basically, I just want to get rid of the errors.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards.

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
    Hi,

I have an EVL-4 card connected to a Vista 10P alarm system. Homeseer has devices for each of zones and they properly record the status of the zone, and I can control the alarm system (Arm, Disarm, etc) from Homeseer.

When I log onto the Eyez-On website it says my device is not communicating with the website. And in my Homeseer logs, every 12 hours (plus a couple of minutes) I get error messages from the plugin saying a socket error has occurred. I assume that this is the plugin trying, and failing, to reach the Eyez-On server every 12 hours to perform some sort of function.

1. Is there any reason the plugin needs to connect to the Eyez-On server? Or is it OK that it's disconnected
    2. Is there a way to cancel the call to the server every 12 hours, so the log is not filled with errors?

If my assumptions above are incorrect (which they probably are), what's the explanation for what is happening, and how can I fix it? Basically, I just want to get rid of the errors.

Regards.
    Was your EVL-4 card ever connected to the EyezOn website according to the attached instructions?

Elliott
    Attached Files
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Yes, it was. In my Eyez-On account, the EVL-4 card (with the proper MAC address) shows as a device, but the status of the device is 'Off-line'

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
        Hi,

Regards.
        The plug-in never connects to the Eyez-On servers, all communication is done locally directly with the EVL4 board.
        The error you see in the logs are probably due to broken TCP connection with the EVL4, in this case the plugin tries to reconnect automatically If this happen very often you may have a problem on your network or you still use an old firmware. About 1 year ago a problem has been fixed in the EVL4 firmware that resulted in connection being dropped very often.

Connect to your local EVL4 web server: http://envisalink or http://<ip_of_EVL4> then check the firmware on the network tab. From there you can also check if the board is communicating successfully with the plugin (EnvisaLink TPI Status section) and with the eyez-on servers (EnvisAlerst status section). If it's communicating with eyez-on servers they can't automatically push new firmware to your board, so you need to resolve that with them.

Here is a screenshot (this is for my EVL3 DSC, but it should look similar)

Click image for larger version

Name:	envisalert2.png
Views:	1558
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	1261452

Comment

Thanks, that's very helpful. I am pretty sure I did not upgrade to the new firmware, so I will do so. But don't you find it suspicious that the problem occurs essentially every 12 hours - and at no other times? That sounds to me like something systemic is causing the TCP connection to break. And the PC itself is not losing internet connectivity - I monitor the connection every five seconds and there are no breaks indicated during these times (or at any other times, actually - my network is pretty robust).

Anyway, it's obviously not the fault of the plugin, so thanks for explaining the situation. If I learn anything new I will update my post.

Regards.

Comment

Spud,

I've done some further investigating and have more information on what is causing the problem. It has nothing to do with the Eyez-On server - the problem is occurring because the plugin is unable to communicate with the EVL-4 board over the LAN. The log file entries from the plugin are shown below, so you can see what's happening. The weird thing is that this is happening every 12 hours, almost to the minute - and there are no other errors that occur in between. And I monitor the internet connectivity from the Homeseer machine and am finding no breaks during this time, so the network - LAN and internet - seems to not be the problem.

This feels like something systematic, either in the plugin code or in the firmware. (I'm using firmware version 01.02.130A, which I think is the most recent, so the communications problems from a year ago should not be the issue).

Any thoughts? here's the log file (by the way, the word "occured" is misspelled in the log file messages generated by the plugin - it should be "occurred"):
            • Nov-25 04:32:06 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
              Nov-25 04:32:06 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              at EnvisaLinkAdemco.Communications.Reciever.Run()
              Nov-25 04:32:06 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:32:17 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:32:38 ERROR A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:32:40 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:32:45 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:32:45 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:32:45 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:32:45 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:32:56 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:32:56 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:32:56 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:32:56 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:32:56 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:33:07 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:33:07 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:33:07 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:33:07 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:33:07 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:33:18 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:33:18 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:33:18 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:33:18 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:33:18 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:33:29 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:33:29 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:33:29 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:33:29 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:33:29 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:33:40 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:33:40 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:33:40 ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              Nov-25 04:33:40 DEBUG Stack: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
              Nov-25 04:33:40 INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
              Nov-25 04:33:51 INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.0.xxx:4025
              Nov-25 04:33:51 INFO Reconnection OK
              Nov-25 04:33:51 DEBUG Received: Login:

Nov-25 04:33:51 DEBUG Request: SendKeystrokeString xxxxxxxxxx
              Nov-25 04:33:51 DEBUG LoginInteraction
              Nov-25 04:33:51 DEBUG Received: OK

Nov-25 04:33:51 INFO Password OK
              Nov-25 04:33:51 DEBUG LoginOK

Comment

I think it is something unique to your system. I have been running the plug-in without issue for a couple of years. My EVL-4 Firmware Version: 01.02.130 has been solid. I will say that the EVL4 is very sensitive to network problems. Several years ago, my system would crash with tons of EnvisaLink socket errors and Z-Net errors flooding the log just before the system crashed. It always happened around 3:00 in the morning. Because it really seemed to be preceded by EnvisaLink errors, Spud and I worked very hard on resolving the issue, but it turned out to have nothing to do with the plug-in or interface. I wish the search worked on this new forum. Then I could probably find the thread, Google is not finding it. The crux of it was that my network was getting swamped because my system was running out of sockets due to them being created more often than they were released. I tried any number of hardware and software changes to no avail. To make my very long story short, my issues finally disappeared when HST issued new firmware for the Z-Nets. I suspect, but never proved that they were opening new ports and not releasing old ones. This was probably September 2015, though my memory might be wrong about the year.

I was never able to figure out why it always happened around the same time in the morning.

I have since learned that Windows has a default limitation on the number of ports and a very long timeout before they are released. Here is one article that I just found by search which sort of explains the problem

https://community.ipswitch.com/s/art...ort-Exhaustion

Don’t pick on Spud for spelling, he’s Canadian (some of them are Canadiens) - they put a “u” in color and sell gasoline by litres (Americans would buy a liter) Joking aside, I think Spud’s native language is French and he is at least bilingual.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Well, speaking two languages is precisely one more than I speak, so that's impressive.

Thanks very much for your comments - they make perfect sense. Just to confirm your diagnosis I'll try to run netstat just prior to the time when the problem occurs, as suggested by the article you referenced. I just ran it now and did not detect any open sockets coming from the EVL-4 board, but perhaps that situation changes just prior to the problem occurring.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Don’t pick on Spud for spelling, he’s Canadian (some of them are Canadiens) - they put a “u” in color and sell gasoline by litres (Americans would buy a liter) Joking aside, I think Spud’s native language is French and he is at least bilingual.
                  Well, it's worse than that, I'm French, but I have been living in Quebec for 10 years now. If you could hear my accent, you would know that I'm far from bilingual.

Comment

Working...
                  X