Why create a separate bypassed device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why create a separate bypassed device?

OK, I am curious as to why I would need a separate bypassed device for each zone?
    When EVL creates its devices for each zone you have on our system it gives the option of creating a duplicate of each zone that shows it's bypassed status. Why, Why, why?
    If anyone can explain this, I would appreciate it.

If bypassed was in the same device as the zone, you would not be able to know the status of the zone. Even when a zone is bypassed, I still want to be able to trigger on motion/no motion or opened/closed. You might want an event to know both the status of the zone and if it is bypassed.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I am sure it is a technical issue, but I will ask anyway.
      Shouldn't bypassing a zone show up in its status?
      Open or Closed
      Open Bypassed or Closed Bypassed

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what does "bypass" signify for a DSC alarm panel? (I'm considering replacing my CADDX panel with DSC and am trying to understand subtle operational differences.) With the CADDX panel, if I bypass a zone it allows me to arm the system even if the zone is faulted. Once the zone returns to normal, though, it resumes its programmed role and is no longer "bypassed". (A zone can be programmed to participate in either armed/away, or armed/home modes, in both, or neither.) It sounds like DSC behaves differently.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what does "bypass" signify for a DSC alarm panel? (I'm considering replacing my CADDX panel with DSC and am trying to understand subtle operational differences.) With the CADDX panel, if I bypass a zone it allows me to arm the system even if the zone is faulted. Once the zone returns to normal, though, it resumes its programmed role and is no longer "bypassed". (A zone can be programmed to participate in either armed/away, or armed/home modes, in both, or neither.) It sounds like DSC behaves differently.
          My DSC 1864 bypasses the zone when bypassed, meaning you can arm the alarm if that bypassed zone is tripped. The bypassed zone stays bypassed until you disarm the alarm or "unbypass" it. Once the alarm is disarmed, the bypass discontinues and the zone returns to normal operation.
          I assume all power series (1616, 1832, 1864) all work the same.
          https://cms.dsc.com/media/documents/..._V4-7_R001.pdf
          Page 6

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
            I am sure it is a technical issue, but I will ask anyway.
            Shouldn't bypassing a zone show up in its status?
            Open or Closed
            Open Bypassed or Closed Bypassed
            I could have implemented it using only one device per zone, but then a zone would have 4 possible status
            Open Active
            Open Bypassed
            Closed Active
            Closed Bypassed

then in an event to test if a zone is open you would have needed to do something like this

IF zone = Open Active OR IF zone = Open Bypassed

which is not ideal. Considering that most users don't even care to see the bypassed status, I chose to implement it as an additional optional device.

Comment

. . .you can arm the alarm if that bypassed zone is tripped. The bypassed zone stays bypassed until you disarm the alarm or "unbypass" it. Once the alarm is disarmed, the bypass discontinues and the zone returns to normal operation.
              That's an interesting detail. Thanks.

So, one of the ways we use the bypass feature with CADDX is a scenario like this:
              The garage door is already open when we go to leave. We bypass it and arm the alarm. When the garage door closes, it resumes normal operation. How do you handle a similar situation with the DSC alarm. Do you have to close the garage door before arming the alarm? (Then open and close it again.)
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

So, one of the ways we use the bypass feature with CADDX is a scenario like this:
                The garage door is already open when we go to leave. We bypass it and arm the alarm. When the garage door closes, it resumes normal operation. How do you handle a similar situation with the DSC alarm. Do you have to close the garage door before arming the alarm? (Then open and close it again.)
                If I understand it correctly, "force arm" would arm the opened garage door, and then put it into normal armed mode once it's closed. Someone with more DSC experience should confirm, as I've not used force arm on my DSC system.
                -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

I could have implemented it using only one device per zone, but then a zone would have 4 possible status
                  Open Active
                  Open Bypassed
                  Closed Active
                  Closed Bypassed

then in an event to test if a zone is open you would have needed to do something like this

IF zone = Open Active OR IF zone = Open Bypassed

which is not ideal. Considering that most users don't even care to see the bypassed status, I chose to implement it as an additional optional device.
                  That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Comment

In that case you could change the Force Arm attribute for the garage door to "ON" as cc4005 pointed to. Meaning you would have to get into programming and do this. This will allow you to arm the alarm with the garage door open and your DSC system will automatically integrate it into the system when it is closed. Unfortunately, the attribute will stay on until you get back into the programming to turn it off.
                    On top of being a pain to turn on and off, this can cause a problem. If for some reason the garage door does not close and you are not notified, your garage is open and your system is armed. You can imagine the problems especially if you are gone for an extended period of time. this is a good reason not to use the force arm attribute.
                    One reason the alarm system requires all of the zones to be closed is that it makes sure all of your zones are closed.

My personal use and recommendation,
                    Use Geofencing to arm your system and an armed confirmation notification after I have left to make sure the system is armed. If I do not get a confirmation that the alarm is armed, then I know something is wrong and I am not too far away from my house to go back and fix it.
                    This way, you never have to think about arming it and you have a verbal and documented confirmation that is was armed.
                    Since it was able to arm, you will know that all of the doors and windows are closed and no need to pull your mobile device to check that it is armed.

Comment

My personal use and recommendation,
                      Use Geofencing to arm your system and an armed confirmation notification after I have left to make sure the system is armed. If I do not get a confirmation that the alarm is armed, then I know something is wrong and I am not too far away from my house to go back and fix it.
                      This way, you never have to think about arming it and you have a verbal and documented confirmation that is was armed.
                      Since it was able to arm, you will know that all of the doors and windows are closed and no need to pull your mobile device to check that it is armed.
                      Concur. My configuration exactly.
                      -Wade

Comment

Unfortunately, geofencing is not reliable in my location. (Plus, my wife often forgets her phone, which doesn't help, either.)
                        I do get a notice if my garage door is not closed within five minutes of the alarm being armed, but the habit of closing it is now so deeply ingrained that it's not a serious issue, fortunately.

PS. Thanks for explaining the forced arm option. That was helpful.

Comment

Working...
                        X