Pipe data into an event ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe data into an event ?

What you guys are doing to ease the pain of coding with 32 and up zones of data using the internal event engine.

Since there are no persistent global variables (rant) I am being forced to test each zone multiple times for various conditions. For example if I want to test all 64 zones for tamper then it looks like I need to write 64 different events to trap and discriminate which zone was tampered. One event can do all of them if you don't care what zone was tampered. Then there is opens, closes, faults, violations, battery etc that all need to be tested.

Is there some way to use replaceable parameters, persistent variables or a way to pipe data into an event that would help streamline these type of events.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a script

I had the same issue for my lock events. I needed 12 events for each of my 3 locks based on the various conditions such as lock opened, lock closed, low battery, really low battery, 3 bad attempts, etc. I ended up writing one script and combined with 3 events, it does everything I need.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a script

I had the same issue for my lock events. I needed 12 events for each of my 3 locks based on the various conditions such as lock opened, lock closed, low battery, really low battery, 3 bad attempts, etc. I ended up writing one script and combined with 3 events, it does everything I need.

Cheers
      Al
      It seems crazy to need scripts when you have a built in event engine. I guess you are right though. So off to learn scripting I go.

Comment

Working...
      X