Programming the DSC with envisalink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming the DSC with envisalink

Is it possible to set up and program the DSC power series alarm boards with the Envisalink instead of a serial cable?

Thanks

John

no it's not currently possible to program a DSC system using the EnvisaLink plugin

I could add an action to send a keystroke string as if the user pressed the equivalent key sequence on an existing keypad.

Comment

Programming would be a major selling point

I think the Envisalink looks like a great product. I do not have a PC laptop and do not really want to drag a computer into my closet to set up or adjust my alarm panel. I am also wondering If I would have to disconnect the Envisalink to connect the serial cable to the alarm board.

I think the best practice would be to only allow access to programing from the ethernet, not the web.

Thanks. I look forward to buying an Envisalink as part of my new alarm system.

John

Comment

not sure I understand...

you can program your DSC panel from the keypad, there is no need to drag your computer to your closet.

Comment

programing DSC alarm panel with envisalink

I am a very visual person and a little dyslexic. I hate programing things with a keypad. It tend to be frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
            I am a very visual person and a little dyslexic. I hate programing things with a keypad. It tend to be frustrating.
            If you're not using the keypad, then you need the DLS software to program the panel and connect to the 4 pin serial interface on the panel. I have the serial port on the panel connected to a serial to ethernet adapter and can then access the panel from anywhere on my network using serial port redirector software.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

thanks Al

would I be able to use both the Envisalink and serial cable to ethernet adapter at the same time?

John

Comment

Hi John, yes, you can have both connected at the same time. The Envisalink connects to the keyboard bus, not the serial port on the DSC panel.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Al

That was the part I was missing.

John

Comment

I have both (serial and envisalink under Spud plugin) plug at the same time for more than a year now.
                    There is a server running homeseer and the serial cable on it with a usb adapter.
                    I use DLS 5 software to program the DSC panel easily.
                    It's safe and reliable. Not easy to setup at the beginning but it's working. You still have to access a keyboard to put the panel in programming mode (download and upload data) but I guess that you can send a series of keystroke with the envisalink plugin to simulate a keyboard stroke.

Comment

just got DSC 1832, and EVL4 board.
                      you mentioned the serial-to-ethernet converter? any suggestion on brand, site to buy?

also, does this let me access the DSC software, through my home network, through PC-LINK, even though it is originating as serial?

I HAVE an alexor system which is dying, got a wireless board for that that did allow access of the DSC software, and programming, through the home internet. but i am replacing it with the dsc 1832, etc.

any help appreciated
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aoz View Post
                        just got DSC 1832, and EVL4 board.
                        you mentioned the serial-to-ethernet converter? any suggestion on brand, site to buy?

also, does this let me access the DSC software, through my home network, through PC-LINK, even though it is originating as serial?

I HAVE an alexor system which is dying, got a wireless board for that that did allow access of the DSC software, and programming, through the home internet. but i am replacing it with the dsc 1832, etc.

any help appreciated
                        thanks
                        Actually tomtomtom mentioned a USB to serial converter. The DSC PC series boards have a serial interface on the board. As Al said, the Envisalink connects through the keyboard bus. You can als connect a serial connection to the DSC board. What I do is use a USB to serial converter from my HomeSeer server to a serial interface on the panel. I built the adaptor using a 9-pin serial connector and an old 4-pin connector from a computer fan. I run the DLS software on the HomeSeer server. If I need to change the program for the panel, I RDP into the HS server, make the changes, then upload them to the panel. My panel and the server are in the same closet but since the bit rate on the connection is so low, you could probably run the serial connection a pretty good distance.

You can find the pin outs with a Google search.

http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/dsc_...n_pinout.shtml
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

ok, to clarify, there is NOT a serial to ethernet (network) connection; it is just running the connections through that type of wire?
                          so that the computer still needs the serial-to-usb-connection?

if so, then I DO have the cable that I built PRIOR, for the PC-LINK, (I had unhooked it once the network connection was available), and can put it back into service.

My frustration was that I had to run it from my single computer where the serial-to-usb connection existed.

IF it goes through the homeseer setup (I just have the Z-net box for interface), can that be accessed through other devices on my home network?
                          thanks
                          nick

Comment

My alarm installer remotely accesses my DSC alarm and re-programs it. I can only assume he is using the internet connection. Maybe that's because that links to the monitoring station hardware (which they also supply), but I would have thought that would mean with the DSC software and the right access codes I could connect?

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              I built the adaptor using a 9-pin serial connector and an old 4-pin connector from a computer fan. I run the DLS software on the HomeSeer server. If I need to change the program for the panel, I RDP into the HS server, make the changes, then upload them to the panel. My panel and the server are in the same closet but since the bit rate on the connection is so low, you could probably run the serial connection a pretty good distance.

You can find the pin outs with a Google search.

http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/dsc_...n_pinout.shtml
                              I just bought a PC1864 board with Envisalink 4 and I want to program it using the DLS software. If I built the cable you describe above, I would not need to buy the PC-Link adapter, is that correct? So I would build the cable, add a Serial to USB adapter to plug into my laptop, and then run the DLS software. Someone mentioned needing a keypad to enter the programming mode. Is it possible to send the needed commands to enter programming mode from the Envisalink or will I need to buy a keypad as well? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X