X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Envisalink action: Arm -vs- Arm away?

Hi Spud,

Q's:
    1- Difference between Arm and Arm away in Envisalink event action?
    2- Using either of the above, what will the log entry show for the user: INFO Armed by ?

1. a better name for the "Arm" action would be "Arm with code" because it does use the code you entered in the Master Code field on the config page.

the "Arm Away" action does not use any code

2. in the "Arm" action case it would show
    INFO Armed by spud
    assuming that in the config page, user spud is associated with the DSC user id corresponding to the Master Code

in the "Arm Away" case, it would not show any "Armed by" log entry.

BTW, in the config page the field is called "Master Code" but I think it could be any access code.

Comment

Although I obviously have the 'master code' field filled (panel settings), I haven't defined an id with the value of 40 in the User settings. So, in this situation, what will the log info show?

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
        Although I obviously have the 'master code' field filled (panel settings), I haven't defined an id with the value of 40 in the User settings. So, in this situation, what will the log info show?
        nothing at info level
        at debug level it will say "Cannot find user id = 40"

I could modified it so that when a user is not found it would say: "Armed by user 40" in both the log and the user access device

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          ... I could modified it so that when a user is not found it would say: "Armed by user 40" in both the log and the user access device
          Or "Armed by Master code" ? Either way works for me: I just need to differentiate (at Info level) whether the arming was done by the plugin (via Master) or a defined user. As I understand it, currently, if the plugin arms, I would not see any indication of this at Info level.

Comment

in version 3.0.0.27 available here
            the User Access device (and log entry) will now show something like "Armed/Disarmed by user #40" when the DSC user is not associated with a HS user.

out of curiosity what are you using the log entry for? why don't you use the User Access device instead?

Comment

the User Access device (and log entry) will now show something like "Armed/Disarmed by user #40" when the DSC user is not associated with a HS user.

out of curiosity what are you using the log entry for? why don't you use the User Access device instead?
              Thanks for the -as usual- quick update.

I'm using the log simply to visually validate that certain actions were in dead taken, so I'm not programming any action out of that.

You mentioned using "User Access". On my system, it has no defined device value or range, so no "Control Use" on the "Status Graphics" tab, yet it still reports a status on the device management page; and "User Access" also is an Envisalink event trigger.

I was under the impression that the device management page relied on that "Status Graphics" tab to determine whether and how to display status for a device. I guess I don't really understand the relationship between a device's "Status Graphics" tab, the included "Control Use", how its status is displayed.

Comment

1. a better name for the "Arm" action would be "Arm with code" because it does use the code you entered in the Master Code field on the config page.

the "Arm Away" action does not use any code

2. in the "Arm" action case it would show
                INFO Armed by spud
                assuming that in the config page, user spud is associated with the DSC user id corresponding to the Master Code

in the "Arm Away" case, it would not show any "Armed by" log entry.
                While testing, I found that both event actions "Arm" and "Arm away" will engage the exit delay.

For "Arm", at the end of the exit delay, if there is no true exit (ex: remotely set), the DSC will fall into "Arm stay".

For "Arm away", at the end of the exit delay, regardless whether there is a true exit or not, the DSC will fall into "Arm away".

My take is that if one is arming the system remotely, it would be better to use "Arm away". Using "Arm" would effectively disable your motion sensors, so just break a non protected glass pane and you're in (unless DSC let's you disable the bypass of sensors).
                Last edited by claude; October 16, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Hey Spud,

It seems that 3.0.0.27 mentions the 'non associated user' only on Disarm:
                  Oct-19 14:01:29 Insteon Received 2B.B7.44:1 ([0:Palier] B-Palier garage, mural) Go OFF
                  Oct-19 14:13:57 Device Control Device: EVL-3 EnvisaLink Partition 1 to Arm Away (-1001) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                  Oct-19 14:15:33 Device Control Device: EVL-3 EnvisaLink Partition 1 to Disarm (-1002) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                  Oct-19 14:15:36 EnvisaLink INFO Disarmed by user #40

Comment

well, as I told you on post #2 of this thread the "Arm Away" action does not use any code for arming so no user info is sent to the plugin, that's why you don't see any "Armed by" log entry. If you used the "Arm" action instead you would see the log entry, but then there is the other problem you mentioned above.

I will see if I can add a "Armed by Homeseer" log entry in the cases we don't have any user info.

Comment

well, as I told you on post #2 of this thread the "Arm Away" action does not use any code for arming so no user info is sent to the plugin, that's why you don't see any "Armed by" log entry. If you used the "Arm" action instead you would see the log entry, but then there is the other problem you mentioned above.

I will see if I can add a "Armed by Homeseer" log entry in the cases we don't have any user info.
                      You're right. So, all that is missing is an entry informing that an "Arm away" was (programmatically) performed by (default master) user 40, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X