Is there a way to open door part way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to open door part way?

In the heat of the summer, the garage gets quite warm. I would like to open the garage door part way, just enough to expose a portable floor fan. Is it possible to stop the door from opening completely? I looked at the status graphics page for the device and I did not see that option.
    Thanks,
    Elliott

Originally posted by Richel View Post
    In the heat of the summer, the garage gets quite warm. I would like to open the garage door part way, just enough to expose a portable floor fan. Is it possible to stop the door from opening completely? I looked at the status graphics page for the device and I did not see that option.
    Thanks,
    Elliott
    You could put a ZEN15 by Zooz on the motor power. When the fan turns on (connected to a z-wave device) then open the garage door wait a few seconds and kill the power to the garage door motor. When fan turns off restore power to motor and close garage door. Something like that.

Comment

There is no way to make the plug-in do this.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        You could put a ZEN15 by Zooz on the motor power. When the fan turns on (connected to a z-wave device) then open the garage door wait a few seconds and kill the power to the garage door motor. When fan turns off restore power to motor and close garage door. Something like that.
        Excellent! Thank you.
        Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by kingfetty View Post
          There is no way to make the plug-in do this.

Thank you. Elliott

Comment

On second thought...

This would disconnect the electronics, so that the wifi MyQ connection would go offline. When the power is restored, there would have to be a quick re-connection to operate the door. What do you think?

Elliott

Comment

Most garage doors can be started with a press of the switch and stopped at any point by another press. If yours will work that way, it would be far better than interrupting the current to the entire device.

A third press should send the door to one or another limit.

I would think any Z-Wave low voltage switch would work, if wired in parallel to the existing switch.

PS
              It is likely you will have to add a power wire. In so doing, you could opt for a mixed power box, if installed according to code.
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
              2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
                This would disconnect the electronics, so that the wifi MyQ connection would go offline. When the power is restored, there would have to be a quick re-connection to operate the door. What do you think?

Elliott
                I don't have a MyQ system so unfamiliar with it's workings. My garage door opener is older and does not connect to wifi. Otherwise the zen15 would work.

What ewkearns says is easier. Will your system work if you connect a z-wave device in parallel to the garage door controller? I have read somewhere that the MyQ may not work that way because of the way the door controller communicates with the door opener or something about the internal workings of the controller.

Comment

I don't have a MyQ system so unfamiliar with it's workings. My garage door opener is older and does not connect to wifi. Otherwise the zen15 would work.

What ewkearns says is easier. Will your system work if you connect a z-wave device in parallel to the garage door controller? I have read somewhere that the MyQ may not work that way because of the way the door controller communicates with the door opener or something about the internal workings of the controller.
                  I am using the MyQ plug-in with a Craftsman door. I have also wired the contacts of an Arduino relay across one of the buttons of the door control wall unit. Since the wall control and the opener exchange data over the two wires, you can no longer control the opener directly. Connecting across a button in the wall unit is the only way to send the data of a button press to the opener. This relay can be used to initiate opening or closing the door, or stop it mid way. A Z-Wave or other dry contact switch could be used instead of an Arduino.

I also have a magnetic switch letting me know the door is closed/not closed. This satisfies the DRD (Department of Redundancy Department), giving us two means of controlling and monitoring the door.
                  Randy Prade
                  Aurora, CO
                  Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    I am using the MyQ plug-in with a Craftsman door. I have also wired the contacts of an Arduino relay across one of the buttons of the door control wall unit. .... .
                    Thanks for the suggestion. At my previous home, I had a Global Cache WF2CC device controlling the opening and closing of my Genie motor. With this set up I could open the door part way. I tried to reproduce this set up with the current motor and could not get it to work and I couldn't figure out why. I may try as you suggest with the WF2CC device.

Elliott

Comment

Working...
                    X