Alternative to MyQ Plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to MyQ Plug-in

I wish kingfetty luck fighting the cloud/API problems with MyQ and hope for the best. At the same time I want to prepare for the worst. I have no problems controlling my garage doors locally . Cheap ESP8266 based relay board such as LinkNode R8 plus the smart software for them from https://www.zumungo.com that integrates well with HS3 will do the trick. However I really like to avoid installing external sensors for open/close status. Does anyone know a way to get this info out of the built-in sensors of MyQ garage door openers of course without going through their cloud service which is the original problem.

This is likely going to vary from opener to opener. But I've investigated this on my own opener as I don't like the idea of connecting to the cloud to get my status either. I've not found a way yet.

That being said, I have the remote myq unit controller and so it must be sending the information to the controller over the wireless garage door pairing. It's possible that we might be able to find a way to mimic the MyQ controller and get the information wirelessly. Let me pop the case open on my controller and see if it's got a JTAG or something.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfetty View Post
      This is likely going to vary from opener to opener. But I've investigated this on my own opener as I don't like the idea of connecting to the cloud to get my status either. I've not found a way yet.

That being said, I have the remote myq unit controller and so it must be sending the information to the controller over the wireless garage door pairing. It's possible that we might be able to find a way to mimic the MyQ controller and get the information wirelessly. Let me pop the case open on my controller and see if it's got a JTAG or something.

That would be awesome if you found a way to use the MyQ controller locally! I also have this and do not like it talking to external servers to control my garage doors. Good luck and keep us posted!

Andy

Comment

I agree with risquare that it is relatively easy to control the Liftmaster garage door opener locally without relying on the cloud service. Here's my method: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...myq-gd-openers
        But I use a ZWave door sensor for open/close status - and it would be great to get this status locally from the GDO instead. kingfetty - appreciate your efforts investigating this.

Comment

Just another thought for sensing... you could get a wireless door / window sensor for you alarm system and use that to indicate door status

BTW, I was not able to find a JTAG or any debug interface on the wireless "MyQ Internet Gateway".

It does appear it's just using standard MQTT over TLS/SSL to talk to the Homeseer API server. It also appears that the trusted root certificate is hard coded and not signed by any official CA. If it were signed by a globally trusted CAs, it would be possible to do a let's encrypt based SSL MITM attack and sniff out the communications. The Root CA appears to be signed by IBM and their systems are running on Microsoft Azure. I'll continue to look and see if there's some other way to perform a MITM attack.

It appears the wireless protocol is in the 900mhz range, not sure if they're using standard IEEE 802.15.4 (ZigBee) or something home grown yet.

Comment

Working...
          X