This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 version of the Napco plugin ?

At least one person has asked if there will be an HS4 version of this plugin. Right now I am undecided. I am starting to invest the time to look into what it will take to make an HS4 "native" version. Also unclear is if there was an HS4 version, if it would have all necessary support to upgrade HS3 devices in-place or if this would be an atomic switch where you'd need to update events due to new HS4 virtual devices being created.

What is clear is that an HS4 version of this plugin will not be able to extend functionality onto new Napco hardware that is currently shown to not be supported. I have reviewed their technical documents library and no new development specifications have been published. The last one was March 2013. I've worked with a couple different people that were said to be Napco dealers yet they were not able to obtain development details either. I'm afraid that unless/until Napco publishes new development specifications, this plugin will remain to support what I'll call legacy Napco Gemini panels that implement the GEM-Automation protocol circa 2005. If this ever changes and Napco provides updated development documentation I'll be happy to support newer hardware.

This thread is to solicit feedback from users to determine if there is a desire to have an HS4 "native" version Napco Gemini plugin given the limitations mentioned above.
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

I am currently on HS3 interfacing to a very old (1995 vintage) 9600 panel. I recently replace my home automation server with a Dell 3070 (on sale) with Windows 10 Pro and everything, including Napco plugin is working fine.

Now I want to update to HS4 early next year. Would I like a HS4 version of the plug-in? I guess it depends. Have you, or anyone of your customers been able to use the HS3 version of the Napco plugin successfully with HS4? If not, then definitely I would want/need an HS4 version even if there are no functionality differences. If the HS3 version of the plugin works fine on HS4, then the only reason I would need an HS4 version is if it offered more flexibility, reliability, or features. Thanks!

Comment

I did some experimentation with HS4 on my test system. I did successfully run this plugin under an upgraded HS3->HS4. It runs it as a "legacy-plugin" but otherwise does seem to work same as before. This is not exhaustive testing but those features I tried did work ok.

Now, I do recommend before you decide to upgrade to HS4 on your main HS installation, that you thoroughly research the upgrade process. I did successfully upgrade my test system HS3 to HS4 in-place following the online instructions. This left it upgraded under C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3 I wanted it to be moved to a new directory ending in HS4 but there are limitations to that. I am hoping for a more robust HS4 install that can upgrade/migrate the HS3 information into a new HS4 directory leaving both in place on the same system but that doesn't seem to exist right now. I am not trying to discourage anyone, rather share what little I've found in the hope it may help you make a more informed decision.

Right now I'm looking at the HS4 SDK and reviewing the online development chatter. For now, I know there won't be an HS4 version of this plugin soon but am not ruling it out yet.
      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
      Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Thank you for the information on your experience with the Napco Plug-in AND upgrading from HS3 to HS4. All the information is very helpful. As a conservative upgrader, I like you will test the upgrade process on a spare PC first. I have been following discussions on the forum and along with the upgrade process there are conceptual differences from HS3 as compared to HS4 and I would need to be comfortable with them before I make the change. However, you have relieved one of my concerns, the alarm system. Thanks! Jack

Comment

Thanks for the update. I am using HS4 with your plugin without issue. I hope you are able to upgrade it for the eventual time when the old plugin will not work with HS4. I have found that for some reason if I use the plug-in to arm the system my Napco panel over time with repeated use the napco system will eventually lock up. I expect this may be some sort of issue with the panel software rather than the plug-in. This did happen prior to HS4 so it is not the upgrade.

Comment

I do hope this plugin continues to function as-is under HS4. Given the lack of support from Napco and incompatibility with newer Napco Gemini hardware (observed by some) I do not plan to port this to HS4. Right now I am still running HS3 myself as I don't have time away from the day job to look seriously into porting this to HS4. Anything is possible in the future but wanted to provide this quick update.
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
            X