No announcement yet.

Binary data in zone names

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Binary data in zone names

    Attached Files

    Hopefully you've read through the post just previous to this where rubbernecker and I went 10 rounds trying to get his old P3200 working.

    The take away there is the serial port hardware, serial driver and their interaction with the VB.Net.4 SerialPort class is critical. The older HS2 Napco plugin by HST was built around VB6 and the obsolete MSCOMM control. Why that works and the VB.Net.4 SerialPort class doesn't with your specific setup I don't know. This HS3 plugin is using the same communications protocol logic as the HS2 plugin.
    Take note of that thread posts 14 and 15 where I purchased a cheap TrendNet USB to Serial adaptor as part of our testing. I was able to get that working with this HS3 Napco plugin but it had a side-effect of clobbering the driver being used with my Current Cost Envi rendering that useless until I backed out the driver versions. Again, another instance of port/driver compatibility issues.
    In post 17 in that thread, I include a link to a short video with a serial tester showing the CTS/RTS hardware flow control necessary for this all to work correctly. I'm not using Win XP any longer and don't know if an atom based MB could affect the hardware handshake speed or not?

    Clearly, you are getting much farther that rubbernecker did. Meaning, what you posted shows the HA protocol should be working. It appears there's some issue with hardware handshaking and/or serial port drivers and/or the VB.Net.4 SerialPort class that's leading to less than 100% communications which causes failures.

    At this point, if you have USB ports available, I'd recommend testing with a similar USB to Serial adapter and see if you can get better results with any of the hardware you have access too. Also, if you are only using a PCIMINI, you might consider a GEM-RS232 which provides serial port hardware isolation. That's what I'm using. Finally, if you have other computers, maybe with win7, it would be worth installing HS3 and the Napco Gemini HS3 plugin on them and seeing if you can get better or at least different results with some combination of serial port hardware/driver.

    HS (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory


      Issue turned out to be the Napco panel configuration

      I tried replacing just about all the hardware ( switched to a p9600, new gem-rs232 module, new v40c automation prom for the p3200, tripplite 19HS usb serial adapter ) and even tried running Win 7-32 on the same PC to no avail. The upgrade to the v40c automation prom forced me to update my quickloader software to properly talk to the panel and this led to the discovery of the root of the problem. I decided to modify the zone descriptions as this was what was being misinterpreted by the plug-in. The older quickloader allowed any zone description but the new version complained about my descriptions not being in the format 01- to xx- . Formerly I had just had zone descriptions without a zone number (ie. Garage Door ). When I switched to 01-Garage Door, that description was accepted by the plugin without the SQL errors I had been getting. I also had several unused zones that I had called NA02, NA03, etc ) and changing them to 02-NA, 03-NA did not work. However just using the zone numbers ( 02-,03- ) made them disappear from the homeseer zone lists and eliminated all errors when talking to the panel. I'm back to using my motherboard serial port and my p3200 but I did keep the new GEM module and updated prom, and everything is working now.