This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI plugin stops working when it loses connectivity to HAI board

This bug is very easy to reproduce. Just turn off the ethernet switch between the HomeSeer server and the HAI board and that's the end of the HAI plugin. You have to restart HomeSeer to get the plugin to start working again.

I assume the HAI connection retry logic has stopped working for some reason. I am hitting this bug at least once a week now.

Sounds like the problem I discussed here. If it's any consolation, I was able to reconnect by first disabling the OMNI plugin, then re enabling it -- did not have to restart HS. Of course, that work around costs (in my case) about 12 minutes of startup time....

Comment

100% repeatable here also. In the mean time I have the Omni connected to a managed switch and the port set to 10Mbs, half-duplex which keeps the Omni and HS fairly well connected. But if the switch or internet go down (accidentally or on purpose) I'm out of luck just like the OP and have to manually restart the plugin.

Comment

I'm in the process of seeing what it would take to reconnect when a disconnect is detected. Stay tuned...
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

If your in need of a log for when this happens then here it is:

Code:
          20/11/2018 01:22:59 [2]  [CONNECTION STATUS: No Reply]
          20/11/2018 01:22:59 [2]  [CONNECTION STATUS: Disconnected]
          20/11/2018 01:22:59 [2]  [-->UNIT:  desc=[]  number=[170]  name=[UNIT 170]]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[77]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=274 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[78]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=275 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[489]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:24:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=265 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:29:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[489]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:29:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=265 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:30:00 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[474]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:30:00 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=388 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:34:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[489]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:34:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=265 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:34:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[78]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          20/11/2018 01:34:45 [2]  [Output_Off: outp=275 length=1 duration=0 d=0]
          20/11/2018 01:34:45 [2]  [SetIOMulti: CC.Ref=[77]  CC.ControlValue=[0]]
          Its worth noting that I only seem to have this problem since the latest few updates, although that could be entirely coincidental.

Comment

I'm in the process of setting up my panel so that I can turn off/on my 10/100 hub with a z-wave module. This will hopefully let me reproduce the issue by cutting the ethernet off/on. Once I can do that, I can see what it would take to reconnect. Stay tuned to this thread.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

After a very long time of reliable operation going back to the HAI to HS plug-in beta days, I have started having this problem as well of HAI disconnecting and HS3 loosing status updates and not being able to communicate. No network changes that I know of and the problem seemed to have started a month or so ago. PCA from the same PC works fine after the issue but HS3 seems to have dropped the connection and didn't reconnect until I reboot/restart. I've been wondering if it's related to a Windows 10 update which somehow effected networking communications of the plug-in. Are others with this problem also using Windows 10 PCs for HomeSeer or there other host OSs in the mix which would eliminate this as a source?

Comment

I did some more reading across the different threads on this problem and it appears to be unrelated to the Host OS as people are seeing this on some Linux boxes (I believe). I'll give the OMNI isolation with a WRT54 router a try per Pete's instructions on the other thread. Will likely take me a few days to get around to that given the holidays but will see if that eliminates the HAI disconnect issue.

Thanks,
                GlennWo

Comment

Yes here it started to happen for me a few years back and related to anything connected to the OmniPro ethernet interface.

and

When I had increased the number of ethernet devices on my home network. Initially did start with my time going way off on the OmniPro 2 panel.
                  Way off was up to hours per day.

It never happened to OmniPro 2 panel number 2 with always less than 10 ethernet devices on the home network.

There is a very long thread relating to this issue on Cocoontech with multiple users of the OmniPro 2 panel and what I finally did to fix the issue.

Note that I did open a ticket with Leviton on this issue. I was going to send the panel back to them for repairs and they told me that they would not be able to fix it.

The ticket was never closed or followed up with except for a mention of a firmware upgrade that fixed network issues which it did not.

The initial band aid fix and testing was done with a spare Linksys WRT54G. Current band aid fix is using a POE powered micro travel router with OpenWRT on it.

The issue cropped up at the last LAS show (2018) that Leviton went to. Someone there suggested the router fix and it worked for Leviton at the show.

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am also experiencing this problem all of a sudden. I have operated reliably for years without the communication issues but now it is becoming a constant irritation. Started about 30 days ago.

Comment

Same issue here. My panel is on a separate vlan together with a handful of automation devices to keep traffic down to a minimum. Switch port also set to 10Mbs, half-duplex. Did a software update on the switch yesterday which involved a reboot and noticed a loss of connectivity between Homeseer and the Omni after everything was back up. Restarted HS and everything was good. Going to try just restarting the plugin the next time it happens.

Comment

Tested VLAN's, separate hubs, managed and unmanaged switches years ago (5-6-7) and that was not and is not the solution.

The only solution that worked for me and it was documented was routing the traffic from and to the Omni Pro ethernet interface.

I have updated the old test router solution now to a micro dual port POE connected router inside of the OmniPro 2 can. My next upgrade though here is to make the Rock64 a combo router and HS3 server and have it sit inside of the HAI can.

The Cocoontech forum posts relating to this issue go back a few years (5-6 years??) and before the 4.X firmware upgrades. Leviton tried to fix the issues in Firmware and mention the issues with one firmware upgrade to 4.X. Their solution did not fix the ethernet issues.

Leviton since taking over HAI has not put much efforts in updating the Omni Panels sold by HAI for years (going back to the 1990's). I personally consider the panel a multifunction simple automation hub on steroids maxi sized and a bit expensive and a great alarm panel.

Many folks today are happy using the panel as it is with use of automation lines for all the automation they need or want.

The add of the combo serial ethernet email board was a kludge based on an old legacy design mostly just to get something out there by Leviton. Thumbs down on their effort.

Mobile (Windows 10, Android and iOS) Snap-Link works just fine even though the interface is a bit old. I am though not tethered to my smart phones here.

To bring it up to current methodologies of automation is to use a software interface that talks to the old firmware on the Omni panels.

Homeseer (1990's) when starting only incorporated the use of the serial Omni Pro combo panels in the 1990's. Elk came later with Homeseer 2.

That said Leviton has fat fingered the old firmware any how with other issues trying to accomdate the new Email board and added features of the new Omnitouch Android screens assuming that everyone has upgraded their boards. Here still utilize serially connected Omnitouch screens, Omnistat, Russound and only have Omnitouch 5.7e (MS CE embedded) which work fine for me. I do not like Android and never have. That is me.

The original Omni panels are serially based using a serial bus. (like your automobile). The ethernet port was an add on to the serial bus which is slow already anyhow.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

All,

As Pete suggested and described in other threads, I installed a mini router in between my OmniPro and the rest of my home network. I used the MT300N-V2 from GL-iNet that I found on Amazon.
                          Here is a brief description of the process I went through.

- Configure Omni ==> Set Omni to IP in correct mini router LAN subnet via the Omni keypad (MT300 default LAN subnet is 192.168.8.xxx)
                          - Connect mini router ==> Disconnect Omni ethernet and connect cable to router WAN port; Connect ethernet cable from Omni to router LAN port; Connect router to power
                          - Initial mini router setup ==> Connect to router WiFi; Respond to initial setup prompts
                          - Configure router WAN port ==> Set IP to static and the same as old Omni IP address; Set WAN subnet, gateway, and DNS as needed
                          - Set Port Forwarding ==> Via Advanced Settings | Firewall, set up Port Forwarding of port 4369 from WAN to LAN and to the new Omni IP address
                          - Router WiFi Security ==> Change router WiFi SSID and Password
                          - Restart HS3 Omni plug-in

After that, I did some testing on communications from PCA and HS3 through the router and all is working as expected. Just made these changes yesterday so I will let it "cook" for awhile to ensure all is well before I button everything down to its new permanent home but hopefully this will solve my HS3 to Omni disconnect problems.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Special call out to Pete for his ongoing patience and assistance to us all.

Glenn

Comment

Good news Glenn!

Here also open port 80 for access to the web interface on the WAN side of the microrouter and port 22 for SSH access to the WAN side.

I disabled WiFi here as my micro router is inside of the OmniPro can. I also have IP6 disabled.

This set up works fine with CCTV cams connected to the panel via PCA and seen with OmniTouch 5.7e's and Snaplink.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Good point on the additional ports Pete.

The MT300N does allow you to enable WAN access for admin on port 83 which I did initially and that worked but if you tried to access the Advanced settings in a WAN admin session, it didn't work as those only seemed to be accessible via port 80. The MT300N also allows you to set the WAN access admin port from 83 to something else (supposedly) but I couldn't get that to change even when setting it, applying it, and rebooting the router. I was able to get it changed once to port 80 and with that the Advanced settings access worked from the WAN but when I was finished "playing" with the router and did a factory reset to start with a clean "out-of-the-box" router for the final config for my Omni, I wasn't able to get it to change the WAN access port again.

Anyway, adding port 80 to port forwarding and routing it to the LAN side admin address (192.168.8.1) fixed the WAN admin access including Advanced settings access. Also added port 22 and can now SSH to the mini router from the WAN side as well even with the built in WAN access feature now disabled (i.e. no longer needed with port forwarding setup for these ports).

All good now including full admin and SSH access from my home network side of the router (i.e. router WAN connection).

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X