Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAI/Leviton OPII Alexa Integration--General Set Up Cluelessness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAI/Leviton OPII Alexa Integration--General Set Up Cluelessness!

Hello! First post to the forum. Simple question, but nothing in HA is really simple so here it goes!

I would like to control my HAI/Leviton Omnipro II with Alexa and I’m struggling to understand the hardware/software set up and dataflow. It seems that HomeSeer is Leviton's Alexa partner so I’m reaching out to this forum.

My primary use case is pretty simple. I’d like to tell Alexa (one or multiple Amazon Dots) to control my ~40 HAI/UPB lights/units via Alexa voice commands. I don't really care about changing the thermostats or security system control via Alexa, but assume it's possible.

My home automation hardware includes:
    • Omnipro II w/zone expander, 3 serial ports with EPROM chip firmware. (current FW is 3.10a. Planned upgrade to v3.9)
    • PCAccess for programming. Dealer v.3.17
    • HAI security system (windows, doors, motion, glass break, etc)
    • HAI UPB lighting: ~40 light switches (aka HAI Units)
    • HAI OmniStat: 4 thermostats
    • Russound ACA E5: 14 Zones, 4 subzones, 5 Sources (Alexa/Sonos source integration with Myro:Bridge for RNET KLK keypads)
    • Russound Compoint intercom
    • Q-See DVR with analog CCTV 14 cameras
    • Alexa Dot
    1. Can someone give me the high level feature description of what devices HomeSeer can control using my Omnipro II via Alexa?
    2. What hardware and software do I need to implement HS for my use case? I found this on Leviton's site:
      1. Omni II Series (Omni LTe, Omni IIe, OmniPro II) controller (got it)
      2. Amazon Echo or Dot (got it) Can one use multiple Dots with HS?
      3. HomeSeer HomeTroller (S2, SEL, SEL PRO, S6, or S6 PRO) controller, running firmware version 3.0.0.318 or later (which do I need?)
      4. HomeSeer Plug-in for Omni (OMNI Plug-In under Security category)
      5. MyHomeSeer Remote Web Account
    3. Does one program HS HomeTroller via a PC or does your PC have to be continuously running to have HS work?
    4. I believe the communication between HS HT and OPII done via the network/ethernet. Is this correct or do I need to use up a Serial port on the OPII?
    5. Is there an easier way to implement Omnipro II with Alexa?

Thanks for your help! Sorry if this is topic is addressed in a previous post. I did search for my answer, but couldn't find a high level set up post. Thanks to all those who read and respond to my post!!

PS: Great to see Pete on this forum. I’ve followed his wisdom, and many others that I may not recognize on this forum, on CocoonTech forum for 10+ years!

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Geoff.

It is easy to implement the OmniPro 2 / Homeseer Omni Plugin and Alexa.

2 parts

First...baby steps here you want to implement Alexa with Homeseer 3.

Here running HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.449 (Linux) - Note current relase is V.435

Does one program HS HomeTroller via a PC or does your PC have to be continuously running to have HS work?

Homeseer 3 needs to be continously running.

I believe the communication between HS HT and OPII done via the network/ethernet. Is this correct or do I need to use up a Serial port on the OPII?

Yes you need an Ethernet connection from the Homeseer 3 Omni plugin to the OP2 panel.

Amazon Alexa Integration

Setup (Option 1)
    1. Follow the Echo setup instructions to link your Echo with your Amazon account.
    2. Go to MyHS.homeseer.com and create a MyHS account and link it with your HomeSeer system. Note the user login information as you will need that later.
    3. Launch the Alexa mobile app, login with your Amazon account, and from the menu select “Smart Home”, then click on “Get More Smart Home Skills”. Scroll the list to find “HomeSeer”.
    4. Select “HomeSeer”, then click on “Enable Skill”, a login dialog will appear.
    5. Log in with the user account you created on the MyHS site, if successful, you have linked your HomeSeer system with your Echo.
    6. You now need to tell Alexa to discover your devices. A dialog may appear that prompts you for this, if not, select “Smart Home” from the menu and scroll down until you see the “Discover devices” link, click that to start the process.
    7. When discovery completes, you will see a list of all the devices that you can control, and their names. For example, if you see a device named “Kitchen Lights”, you can say: “Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights”. If your device names are awkward, rename your devices in HomeSeer and then re-run the discovery.
    Setup (Option 2)
    1. Log into your Amazon echo account, search for the “HomeSeer Home Automation Skill” and enable it.
    2. Enter your MyHS account credentials in the pop-up screen and click the LOGIN button. Your Amazon Echo should now be linked to your HomeSeer system.
      Important: This step relies on a pop-up window. If you do not see a pop-up, be sure your browser is set to temporarily allow pop-ups and disable any pop-up blockers you may have installed.
    3. Now, you’ll need to enable voice commands for every HomeSeer device you wish to control with your Echo. To do this, access the device management page and click on the device name you wish to enable. Then, on the Configuration tab, tick the box for voice command. If you wish to receive a voice confirmation, tick that option as well.

Let us know when you get to this point.

Be back in a few minutes....
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.2.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.10.0.104
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Pete! Are you saying I only need software (HS3 and the HS Omni Plug installed on continuously running on a PC) and that I don't need a HS Hometroller hardware? Cheers.

Comment

Yes just HS3 software or the current crop of HS3 Hometrollers - many flavors today...Windows and Linux...Pro, Standard and Lite (ZEE2)...

IE: Zee2, SEL, et al

Many folks are running the Omni Plugin on a Zee2 today (with Alexa).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.2.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.10.0.104
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete! I downloaded HS3 and the OMNI plug-in and got in working with Alexa. If I only will have a few plug-ins what you're opinion on using a Homeseer Troller vs HS3 on a Windows PC? My guess is that the dedicated Troller hardware is more stable, but I'd love to here your perspective. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes; personally have never purchased a Hometroller. (Homeseer 2 or 3).

I was running Homeseer 2 on Windows Server 32 bit and never had any issues. (Homeseer 1.x ran on Windows 98 then XP).

Started running Homeseer 3 in Windows and switched over to running Homeseer 3 in Ubuntu Linux (2 boxes). It is very stable for me and I have not had any issues.

On the box running Homeseer 3 Pro also have Windows running in an Oracle Virtual box for Microsoft SAPI. One of the new things with Homeseer 3 is that it'll let you run a plugin on a remote computer and attach the plugin to your main Homeseer 3 box.

The Hometroller is a lighter box running windows embedded as past Hometrollers were.

Rob Mason; author of the Omni Plugin is running Homeseer 3 on a Zee2.

Here distribute MS SAPI audio via a Russound zoned audio set up. It connects to primarily the OP2 panel and have used it with Homeseer via a micro serial server.

Relating to using the Amazon Alexa ...now you can utilize the devices as distributed audio / TTS media devices plus VR for controlling devices.

- Pete

Auto mator
            HS4 Lite -

Comment

FYI, firmware 3.10a (ten a) is higher than 3.9. If you have a chip board, the chip upgrade will now take your panel to 4.0b. If you have a flash firmware board, you can just update it to 4.0b.

Comment

With that many devices, you definitely want to move up to the SEL or run HS3 on a PC. You'll run a ZEE out of memory and have connection issues. I generally recommend moving up to the SEL for anything over 75 devices on the Omni (everything combined including the 10+ system devices the plug-in creates). If you plan on doing Z-Wave, don't forget your Z-Wave adapter.

Comment

Thanks bjhampe. I upgraded my FW to 4.0b and appreciate your advise on which Hometroller is needed for my set up.

Comment

Hi everyone, my very first post! I mostly have installed Omni Iie panels everywhere for customers. I'm no stranger to integration, but know nothing about Homeseer. Can someone bring me up to speed on what the installer costs are? What do I need to buy to make this work with the Omni? Do I want a HomeTroller, or some kind of running PC using Homeseer 3? Lastly, does Homeseer charge something for anything you need from them online to make this work? I don't have an understanding yet how the Alexa or Google voice commands are processed for execution by the Omni, and where on the internet this processing is happening! Thank you, Lee

Comment

Hey Lee, Welcome to the board

Originally posted by leeleses View Post
                      What do I need to buy to make this work with the Omni? Do I want a HomeTroller, or some kind of running PC using Homeseer 3?
                      Pass. I purposely run HS on a more powerful PC, so don't have a good feel on the hardware requirements. I suppose it depends on how many plug-ins/devices/etc. that you intend to run. BJHampe has suggestions above.

Originally posted by leeleses View Post
                      Lastly, does Homeseer charge something for anything you need from them online to make this work? I don't have an understanding yet how the Alexa or Google voice commands are processed for execution by the Omni, and where on the internet this processing is happening!
                      Not 100% sure exactly what you're asking, but there are no recurring charges for HS. At minimum, you'll need one of the flavors of HS, something to run it on (either a PC or Hometroller. The latter already has HS installed), the plugin(s) for Google Voice/Alexa, and the Omni Plugin. All of these are one-time purchases. The Google/Alexa plugins are currently paid, but HS4 (due next year) will have some type of Google/Alexa integration included. You logic flow would be your voice command -> Alexa -> "The Cloud"-> Alexa plugin -> HomeSeer -> Omni Plugin -> Omni.
                      My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Thank you! This will really help me a lot to get started. I especially liked the way you explained the logic flow. And thanks for mentioning HS4 is coming. Will check out your system setup as well. BEST, Lee B.

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the detailed post about how to integrate our Leviton Homeseer and Alexa. I have a few questions:
                          1) You say that the Homeseer needs to be connected to the Leviton OP2 panel? Directly? Isn't it enough for the Homeseer to be connected to the ethernet network to which the Leviton system is connected?
                          2) I'm following your instructions but I'm not sure which Homeseer skill to install with Alexa. There are 2. Homeseer Home Automation and Homeseer Smart Home. Which one should be used? Both?

I wish I'd known that Homeseer could be run on an existing PC.... was told by our home automation installer that we needed to buy the Hometroller SEL.

Michael

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer Forum and the Omni Plugin Michael.'

You say that the Homeseer needs to be connected to the Leviton OP2 panel? Directly?

Directly connected via the Homeseer 3 / Omni Plugin via Ethernet.

Isn't it enough for the Homeseer to be connected to the ethernet network to which the Leviton system is connected?

Yes.

I'm following your instructions but I'm not sure which Homeseer skill to install with Alexa. There are 2. Homeseer Home Automation and Homeseer Smart Home. Which one should be used? Both?

Try them both and see which one you like the best or feel more comfortable with.

Homeseer 3 / Omni HS3 Plugin runs fine today on any computer with Windows or Linux. Windows on an Intel / AMD based CPU computer and Linux on an Intel, AMD or ARM based CPU computer.

The SEL is a pre packaged computer with Homeseer already installed. Homeseer has been selling these devices since the Homeseer 2 days.

Homeseer was the first automation company that ported their Windows automation software to Linux intially with the Raspberry Pi.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Guys, I'm a newbie at HS3/Alexa. Not on Omni. I'm beginning to get frustrated. 2 major roadblocks I can't seem to deal with: 1) HS3 web server is accessible for a few minutes, then not. It takes a reboot to regain access. Very consistent pattern. 2) The Omni Plugin shows Omni as a binary device (On/Off). Alexa is able to set the state to on or off, but of course, that's meaningless to Omni, right? Omni security states are numerous, not binary. What am I missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X