Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing I noticed in setting up my mini router was that when I used a Cat6 patch cable to connect the mini router to the OP2 I got the same intermittent issues. I changed it for a Cat5 patch cable and all was good. The OP2 cannot handle faster speeds at all.

Comment

Yes the Ethernet port on the OP2 is 10Mbs 1/2 duplex.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

So far so good. Got the micro router setup last night and the connection to the OPII now seems rock solid. I am having no problem connecting to it with HS3, my 3 touchscreens or PCA.

Comment

Good news Baxter!

Way back opened a ticket with Leviton (or HAI) relating to the networking issues. It actually first cropped up relating to time sync and time going way off then it dinged the serial bus (touchscreens, thermostat at the time) and finally would just lock up the NIc port.

HAI / Leviton said it was related to an old promiscuous Ethernet port and that there was nothing they could do to fix it. The issues cropped up when I went over ~ 50 network devices on my home network. The interface would just bind and that would ding the serial bus on the panel.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I just wanted to drop back in and report my experience in case it might help someone else. I have been chasing a network port lockup issue since I installed the OMNI plug in. I have setup a vlan with just the OP2 and after several hours it would lose connection and the OP2 port was locked up. I then set up the micro-router with just the OP2 behind it. It seemed to work great, but locked up after several hours as well. I then moved all my OMNI devices behind the router (OP2, 3 5.7e touchscreens and HS3 on a RPi). It seemed to work great once I got the routing figured out but eventually, after several hours, it locked up.

Through troubleshooting, I finally identified a piece of errant programming on the OP2 that was triggered by a timer to occur 12 hours after a given event. So basically, every time I reset the OP2 I started a 12 hour clock before my bad programming would lock it up. I was able to manually trigger the programmed event to occur on demand and, sure enough, it would lock the port. It was code to decrement a flag but it pointed to the wrong flag and basically said

when flag 1 off
            and if flag counter on
            then decrement flag 1

It was supposed to say (and I'm sure used to say)

when flag 1 off
            and if flag counter on
            then decrement flag counter

the command "when flag 1 off then decrement flag 1" caused the board to lock. I suspect it went into an infinite loop that when the flag 1 was decremented, even though it was already off, the OP2 interpreted it as another "off" and just got stuck. At least that's my best guess.

I have fixed the program now and I will know more tomorrow if I have solved my problem. The point is, if you are having network connectivity problems, don't just assume it is the poor performance of the OP2 NIC. It might be the poor performance of the OP2 programmer.

Baxter

Comment

Good news Baxter!

Thank you for sharing your experience and follow up to your issues.

I am glad to see you using automation lines on the OP2 panel. I have been using the OP2 panel for the "heat beat" of the home doing a few basic lines of automation.

Lately learning how to use the HAI touchscreen designer program. It is more work to use then the Homeseer Touchscreen designer program.

Here using some tabletop tablets running OmniPro touch along with my Omnitouch 5.7 and 5.7e screens.

BTW you may want to leave the microrouter in place and move all of your OP2 connected devices back to your main LAN.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

I have been using the OP2 to run my house for 15 years. The programming is very flexible and I have a lot of it. I intend to keep almost all programming on the OP2 and use the HS3 primarily for a user interface. I especially like the ability to incorporate user settings in the automation so things like days, times, duration and temperature can be changed at a touchscreen without having to reprogram the board. That is the one limitation to the OMNI plugin that I have seen. I do not think it makes use of the user settings at all. It would be nice if I could, for instance, change the days my grass waters, or the duration, from an HS Touch driven touch screen but I do not see a way to do that. Right now, I either have to use one of the 5.7e touch screens on the wall, HAIKU helper or PCA to change the user settings.

I have a large house (13 HVAC zones, 50 switches which could easily be 100, 8 cameras, 22 sprinkler zones and so forth). I have been using HAIKU for my personal mobile app along with HAIKU helper for several years but that product is basically dead. We are getting ready to put the house on the market and I need to be able to create a more user friendly interface. HS3 running on a Raspberry Pi with the OMNI plugin and HS Touch on my phone and on an Amazon tablet seemed to be the way to go. I have the phone interface pretty well dialed in and am working on the tablet. There are three 5.7e touch panels on the walls, but they have a more limited capability, although with Automation Studio you can pretty much set them up however you like. My touch panels have been rock solid but I really need a more refined and more tightly integrated user interface and the Android tablet promises to fill the bill.

As you can imagine it was very frustrating trying to resolve the network issue and it was dashing my hopes of leveraging the legacy OP2 into an attractive automation controller for the eventual purchaser of my home. However, I am happy to report that my OP2 has not suffered any new communications failures since I resolved the programming error. Now I can get back to focusing on the layout for the Android tablet which will be the bling bling for the potential purchasers.

Currently I am running the micro router with power off of a usb plug. However, I have ordered another one with POE. My network includes a Cicso 24 port POE switch, so I will physically install the router next to the OP2 NIC and power it with the Cisco switch. I will also move my touchscreens and the Raspberry Pi back onto the main network, all powered by POE, to isolate the OP2 from ALL traffic except the traffic it needs to see.

Thanks so much for all your help and let me know if you need any help with Automation Studio. It's not too bad once you figure out the basics. In concept it is almost exactly the same as the HS Touch Designer and once you figure out where all the bits and pieces are you can do pretty much whatever you want with it.

Baxter

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
                X