This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microrouter DIY for use with the Omni Pro Panel Ethernet port

Quickie summary on why I installed it a few years ago.

A reference here to a Cocoontech post

15th of September, 2013

I have an Omni II that once a week will totally lock-up the network port on the board. The only way to recover is to do a hard reset on the board and then it will work fine for about a week and happen again.

I had talked to someone at HAI and they said they’ve seen the network port lock-up with a lot of traffic on the network since it’s only 10mbps

MattW

20th of September, 2013

Personally the solution here is what will work for you; three seen here:
    1 - get another panel and move IP cameras off the main HAI subnet (as PCT88 did with his stuff)
    2 - move the HAI panel to a "place" behind a router (taking it to a layer 3 connection)
    3 - send the board back to HAI for repairs - though there may not be anything to fix on it - BTW the 10Mb HAI NIC connection only talks at half duplex - I could see that but not change that.

Pete_c

24th of July, 2014

I am pretty much having this exact problem with my Omni Pro II v3.11 I bought in fall of 2013. It wasn't really an issue until we started doing a lot of Netflix.

It works nearly perfect when direct connected with only a CAT5 cable to my laptop, When going through a switch (with only OPII and laptop, it drops about 15% of the packets. when plugged into the rest of my network it drops about 70% of the packets.

WHumphrey

27th of July, 2014

The problem went away for me when I put the omni behind it's own router and only opened the ports it needs. I haven't seen any lockups since then.

Matt W

10th of January, 2018

For those experiencing network issues with the Omnipro, I imagine very few non-network admin type users look at the network switch to see if the OP port has issues or that anyone is running syslog or looking at switch logs to see port errors...., but case in fact, I've seen quite a few installations with errors on the network ports specifically for the OP (and the Email Notifier). Rarely if ever any issues with the OP network port being down or failing (down/failed often is such for the Email Notifier though). Even on networks with a significant amount of network traffic, with hundreds of network ports in use, home networks with streaming video, multicast traffic, or just a lot of traffic with no failure with network connectivity to the OP. When you do have an issue, as you've read here, some installations for whatever reason don't do well on high traffic networks, possibly due to small packet buffers, switch port errors (switch internal problem), bad cable, cabling errors such as running parallel to electrical lines, florescent lights, etc...., or bad hardware.

As complex as the above seems, everyday network switches are prone to having compatibility issues with specific network controller chipsets. It may simply be you had a switch or two that was incompatible with the old Omnipro chipset but those same switches may work OK with other network chipsets and perhaps a model or two that would also fail that you haven't seen yet. Over the years, even some high-end Intel network cards fail on Cisco routers, only to work properly later by a switch firmware fix or network card firmware update. Many computer manufacturers have a list of switches they don't work with or specific network controller chipsets they know are issues, and likewise, the major network controller manufacturers know what they have issues with. Ever wonder why some routers, AP's, and switches have built-in reboot routines for daily/weekly/monthly reboots? Sometimes things just don't work they way we hope so some manufacturer's already take these situations into account.

The bottom line and the good here is that there is likely always a way to get the equipment to work, no matter what the cause!

- StarTrekDoors

Hardware (which I used).

1 - Nexx WT3020 microrouter - Note: Any two ethernet port micro travel router will work. I used the Nexx because of it's size. Tested TP-Link and GliNet microrouters to function fine but they are a tad larger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nexx3020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	1276865

$27.58 on Amazon or $14.29 on Ebay with free delivery

2 - 1 foot short and thin ethernet cable - mounted microrouter here on top right of OP2 can next to the zone expansion boards. $1 on Ebay. Do not use a hooded cable for this part.

3 - 12VDC to 5VDC step down power supply (a variety of small ones exist for under $10 on Amazon). You can purchase an automotive type with a micro USB power cable for around $6.

There are many of these around. Recently purchased similiar to these for automotive use and they are working fine at almost 1 year of use.
    They are sold with straight, left or right angled micro USB connector. Disable microrouter WAP functions as they will not be needed for said endeavor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12VDCTO5VDC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	1277070

Drawing and pictures of connectivity.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HAITOROUTER.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	1277072

Software / firmware update of Microrouter with OpenWRT.

Router configuration - Personally configured the router prior to installation in the OmniPro media can using my laptop where you can configure the router via the LAN interface then check the WAN interface after configuration.

1 - disable Wireless

2 - disable IP6

3 - do not change LAN configuration or create a small subnet on the LAN side.

4 - configure OmniPro panel for new IP in same LAN subnet.

IE: if subnet is ==> 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 then configure Omni Ethernet port to 192.168.0.2

5 - configure router WAN port with a static IP that is the same as the original ethernet IP of the Omni Pro panel, subnet, gateway and DNS.
    OR let it do DHCP to your current network and do a DHCP assignment to your original ethernet IP of the Omni panel.

6 - Configure the firewall to allow traffic of:
    • A - port 4639 - default PCA / ethernet management port
    • B - port 80 or 8080 - allow router management interface access from the main house LAN
    • C - port 22 - allow router SSH managment access from the main house LAN
    Click image for larger version  Name:	firewall.jpg Views:	447 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	1277112

The GLiNet comes with a dual managment interface. One simple and lite and the other is OpenWRT. The Nexx router update to OpenWRT is just a download/install of the OpenWRT firmware using the existing GUI.

Note disabling the wireless interface on the router lowers the power requirements. Using 12VDC from the panel puts reserve power to the router. Here started this way and changed the power supply to a POE 5VDC power splitter to a POE switch with a UPB in an adjacent 42" Leviton media panel. Do the math with whatever other devices you have connected to the OmniPanel.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Pete; August 3, 2020, 10:29 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Pete

attempted to build the microrouter first using an Netgear Orbi router and then a linksys EA8500. With the Netgear Orbi router I was never able to change the WAN IP address. I was able to change the LAN IP address but had issues overall

so switched over to my previous linksys EA8500. I was able to configure the static IP address

Router configuration
    1. disable Wireless --- completed
    2. disable IP6 --- completed
    3. do not change LAN configuration or create a small subnet on the LAN side.
      1. have issues because the linksys router is using a Lan configuration of 10.137.1.1 the Orbi router is 192.168.1.1 ... so this will put huge factors below
    4. configure OmniPro panel for new IP in same LAN subnet --- assume that this is on the new router ... was not able to put into the OmniPro configuration
    5. configure router WAN port (on linksys this is the internet section ... at least I believe it is) with a static IP that is the same as the original ethernet IP of the Omni Pro panel, subnet, gateway and DNS.
      1. completed this portion ... when I went to test access to the router I could see the router on the Orbi router GUI, but was not able to login to the router through the IP address
      2. retried
        1. set the internet IP as 192.168.1.11 (this is my OmniPro ip address)
        2. IPv4 Gateway 192.168.1.1
        3. IPv4 DNS Server 192.168.1.1
    6. Configure
      1. A - port 4639 - default PCA / ethernet management port --- was able to configure IP address with port forwarding
      2. B - port 80 or 8080 - allow router management interface access from the main house LAN --- unsure if this is correct because the LAN IP address on the linksys router (10.137.1.1) is different from the Orbi IP address (192.168.1.1) ... so when I attempt to set the port forwarding it will not allow me
      3. C - port 22 - allow router SSH managment access from the main house LAN --- again ... difficulty with establishing this
    thoughts ???

thanks
    Daniel

Comment

Hello Daniel,

Apologies as this is the first time I am reading your post.

Note a router is a router is a router. Most if not all routers are very configurable. Lately see a lot of graphics to make it plug n play. Just really not needed.

I used a micro travel router here with two NIC ports and OpenWRT OS on it. Very cheap on Ebay to buy and easy to drop OpenWRT on it.

AND you can power it via the panel with a 12VDC to 5VDC adapter (you can buy an automotive adapter - tiny thing for less than $10).

I have three daughter boards (zone expansion) inside of my panel and this micro router fits right next to the expansion boards...you cannot even tell that it is there.

For use with the Omni Pro panel the only feature you are using is going from layer 2 to layer 3 to layer 2.

So the LAN side doesn't need DHCP as the OP2 panel doesn't do DHCP.

So create a tiny subnet with no DHCP on the LAN side say....

1 - IP of lan router interface will be:

2 - IP of OP2 panel will be

3 - Subnet mask will be:

255.255.255.248 / mask bit is 29

subnet ID: 192.168.244.248
      broadcast address: 192.168.244.255

Host address range:

192.168.244.249 - 192.168.244.254

You will be using .249 for the gateway address and DNS address (BUT that is really not needed for the OP2 panel).

WAN side of the router is really easy...

Just configure it for connecting to your main router via DHCP or use a static IP and gateway address.

Open up ports 80 or whatever for management of the router from your LAN

and open up the OP2 port you are using to manage the OP2 (this can be anything but the default I thing is 3389??)

So you would point any device that needs to talk to the OP2 panel to the WAN IP (whether it is DHCP or Static).

Here have my OmniTouch screens, Omni plugin and other software talking to the panel via this IP.

- Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am not familiar with the Netgear Orbi router. Looks to be a WAP. You do not need wireless for this endeavor and it is big and expensive.

I am not familiar with the Linksys EA8500 which looks to be a WAP combo. Overpriced and not needed.

Here keep WAP's separate and use separate WAPs not integrated to a combo box.

Maybe a bit over the top ...

Pieces are:

1 - Gb ISP modem (just a modem - not a combo anything) X 2 (have two ISP connections)
        2 - PFSense Firewall (multiple NICs).
        3 - 3 managed Gb 24 port switches (plus POE 24 port switches and unmanaged 24 port Gb switches)
        4 - Wireless - POE connected WAPs (wireless access points)
        5 - OP2 panel ethernet is from the microrouter.

Looking on Amazon see:

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Travel Router, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM, OpenVPN Client

It is $20 and already comes with OpenWRT (actually two menus - one simple and one OpenWRT).
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete ... thank you

I had an extra Orbi router and along with the linksys EA8500 and was trying to use one of them instead of purchasing another device. I have since moved the OP2 to a level one 10 / 100 unmanaged switch attached directly to the orbi router to separate the OP2 from all of the other devices on the system (the remainder of my LAN system goes through a TP Link 10 / 100 / 1000 unmanaged switch). This seems to have worked okay ... have had (1) system reset since doing this compared to the almost daily system resets I was having when I had the OP2 attached directly to the TP Link with all of the other devices.

can you see the OP2 from your Dealer PC Access going through the 1st (primary) router, or do you have to connect to the hidden router for accessing the panel?

still learning

Daniel

Comment

system reset

Assuming you are writing about an OP2 system reset. This should not occur at all. You might have to cleanse the OP2 some doing a cold reset which can get involved.

can you see the OP2 from your Dealer PC Access going through the 1st (primary) router, or do you have to connect to the hidden router for accessing the panel?

I can access the OP2 panel with PCA, Omnitouch Pro software, Omnitouch 5.7e's, HS3 Omni (and more software) via the WAN IP of the router. 2 (two) ports open...80 and OmniPort.

Leviton Omni LAN devices ==> WAN port of firewall ==> LAN port of firewall ==> OmniPro 2 panel.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,
              I've been having issues with my OP2 where my keypad beeps 3 times stating "No Controller Data", but after the 3rd beep it goes back to "System OK". This is annoying, but the OP2 is also loosing time (about 10-30 mins) per day. This throws off my lighting programs. I called HAI and they told me about network overload issue with the OP2 and it put it behind another router in my network. I then found your sticky and purchased the GL.iNet GLMT300N-V2 on Amazon and set it up. I have some questions:
              1) I used the firmware loaded on the router, but upgraded it to the latest version, not sure that it is OpenWRT. Do I need to download OpenWRT to make this work?
              2) I set the router up as a Router, not tethered, repeater or AP. Is this correct?
              3) I set the GL.iNet router up with the a static IP same WAN address as my OP2.
              4) set the LAN IP to 192.168.244.249
              5) set OP2 LAN IP to 192.168.244.250 subnet mask 255.255.255.248 , but could not find anywhere to enter mask bit 29
              6) host address 192.168.244.249 - 192.168.244.254 and DNS to 192.168.244.249
              7) I opened ports 80 and the port for my OP2
              8) GL.iNet router is ethernet connected to a Netgear switch on my network
              9) I cannot open the GL.iNet router from my main router network or connect PCA to the OP2 when connected to the GL.iNet router. I've been using the WAN IP of the GL.iNet router when trying to connect to the OP2.

Am I missing something?

Mark

Comment

Follow up to last post #7>
                I finally got it up and running by changing the subnet mask for the WAN to 255.255.255.0. Now everything is working except my Snap-Link from my No-IP DDNS account. Snap-link works on the internal network with IP of the router, but DDNS will not access the OP2 with the xxxx.ddns.netort#. Any ideas on how I can set up the Snap-link when I'm away from the house?
                Thanks,
                Mark

Comment

Mark,

Apologies I did not see this post. I have not looked at the micro router in a while now. It continues to work fine here.

I've been having issues with my OP2 where my keypad beeps 3 times stating "No Controller Data", but after the 3rd beep it goes back to "System OK".

This is a hardware issue with the keypad or wiring or a messed up configuration maybe. Try connecting the same keypad with short wires to the panel right at the panel to see if the issue is related to the cabling. Do a warm reset of the panel and reupload the configuration?

There are a couple of threads on the Cocoontech forum with similiar themes (issues) that you are having with your HAI Keypad. Have a look at the step by step diagnostics.

Do you have more than one keypad connected?

1) I used the firmware loaded on the router, but upgraded it to the latest version, not sure that it is OpenWRT. Do I need to download OpenWRT to make this work?

No. The OpenWRT firmware is just easier for me to use.

An FYI of system information:

Model: Nexx WT3020 (8M)
                  Architecture: MediaTek MT7620N ver:2 eco:6
                  Firmware Version: OpenWrt 18.06.2 r7676-cddd7b4c77 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.020.41695-6f6641d)
                  Kernel Version: 4.14.95
                  Local Time: Wed Sep 4 05:15:54 2019
                  Uptime: 30d 7h 15m 16s
                  Load Average: 2.97, 1.72, 0.72

2) I set the router up as a Router, not tethered, repeater or AP. Is this correct?

Yes. I shut off the radio. It will not work well inside of the OmniPro media can anyways and it draws more power with the radio on.

3) I set the GL.iNet router up with the a static IP same WAN address as my OP2.

Yes that will work.You will need to change the OP2 IP address to a LAN address that the LAN side of the router can see.
                  I used the default subnet of 192.168.1.1 / 24 bit mask. Turned off DHCP and assigned the HAI an IP in the subnet.

4) set the LAN IP to 192.168.244.249
                  5) set OP2 LAN IP to 192.168.244.250 subnet mask 255.255.255.248 , but could not find anywhere to enter mask bit 29
                  6) host address 192.168.244.249 - 192.168.244.254 and DNS to 192.168.244.249

Yes guessing the original firmware may not have that option. OpenWRT does have the option of setting a bit mask of 29.
                  Also shut off IP6 on all of the interfaces for use of the router. Doesn't really matter anyhow. As long as the HAI OP2 panel has an

7) I opened ports 80 and the port for my OP2
                  8) GL.iNet router is ethernet connected to a Netgear switch on my network
                  9) I cannot open the GL.iNet router from my main router network or connect PCA to the OP2 when connected to the GL.iNet router. I've been using the WAN IP of the GL.iNet router when trying to connect to the OP2.

7-8 is OK

9 - opening port 80 will allow you to see the ethernet LAN interface of the router via the WAN IP.

Good news that you have it running.

Now everything is working except my Snap-Link from my No-IP DDNS account. Snap-link works on the internal network with IP of the router, but DDNS will not access the OP2 with the xxxx.ddns.netort#. Any ideas on how I can set up the Snap-link when I'm away from the house?

Open the firewall to the new router WAN IP and HAI access port. DDNS points only to your internet address such that it can stay configured as it was. Just change the external firewall rules.

Easy way to test is to tether to your cell phone via your laptop and use PCA to access your DDNS name on the internet.

Test also if you want without a DDNS name and port rather put the port in SnapLink.

I have switched over to using VPN on my mobile phone to my PFSense firewall such that I do not need to open up any ports on the firewall to utilize HAI utilities.

BTW only open HAI port on outside firewall (not port 80)
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I do not know what the original firmware looks like on the Nexx WT3020 (8M).

It is the smallest OpenWRT updatable microrouter that I could find. It fits here between the expansion boards on the top right of the HAI can.
                    Originally it was powered by the 12VDC OmniPro bus using a automobile style 12VDC to micro USB cable.

This morning updated the OpenWRT firmware. I backed up the configuration first.

Look here first:

hxxps://openwrt.org/toh/nexx/wt3020 Identifying the device

On the WT3020H model (8 MB flash), the Ethernet MAC starts with 20:28:18:…

MAC: 20:28:18:A1:77:22

Using model WT3020F here and doing an upgrade as there is no real difference between H and F versions of the router.
                    • hxxp://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.4/targets/ramips/mt7620/openwrt-18.06.4-ramips-mt7620-wt3020-8M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
                    After upgrade:

Firmware Version: OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.170.32094-4d6d8bc)
                    Kernel Version: 4.14.131
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete, I've got it up and running and Snaplink works. The GL.iNet GLMT300N-V2 has OpenWrt in the Advanced setting menu. It's running OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch, but just upgraded firmware to 18.06.04.

I notice you said you are running PFSense firewall. I have Unifi APs in the house and was going to upgrade my router and PoE switch so I can run the APs and cameras off 1 switch. Do you have any experience with th Ubiquiti USG and switches?

Thanks,
                      Mark

Comment

Hello Mark,

Good news.

Just realized that that you were using a GLiNet. Here modded the larger routers (like the GLiNe) with small RTC with battery devices.

Here have a test GLiNet configured and yes the sub menu is OpenWRT and updatable.

Apologies in that I kept writing about the Nexx router which is a real tiny little box about 1/2 the size of the GLiNet router.

Everything here is a la carte. PFSense, managed switches and WAPs (different MFGs).

Just switched over to Ruckus for my WAP of choice.

Thinking that Rob and Randy are using all Ubiquiti stuff now. (well and a few other HS3 users).

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am having issues with my OmnniPro II and HS3 Linux box disconnecting and having to restart the plugin. I have tried putting the OPII on its own plan and it does not seem to help. I am going to go with the micro router solution. In the setup where the OPII is on its own network behind a router, is their a best practices for placing the HS3 box, either in the same network behind the router our on a different network outside the router. I guess the question is do I isolate the OPII by itself or do I isolate the automation devices together by themselves? I am assuming I just need to have the OPII by itself and route traffic to it, but I would like to hear your experiences.

Comment

No. The WAN side of the microrouter has an IP on the main LAN subnet. So all of your network devices' IPs remain in place.

All you need to do is change the IP of the OmniPro 2 panel to one of the LAN side of the microrouter and change the WAN IP to the old OmniPro 2 IP.

You are just isolating the OP2 panel behind the router.

OP2 ==> LAN side of microrouter ==> WAN side of microrouter ==> home network (homeseer, IP cameras, Omnitouch, et al).

Click image for larger version  Name:	microrouter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	1333488
                            Omnitouch screen on regular house LAN

Click image for larger version

Name:	omnitouch.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1333490
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X