Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tangential topic - Re-flashing Omnitouch 7 screens to run HS GUI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangential topic - Re-flashing Omnitouch 7 screens to run HS GUI?

Like many here, I have a deep investment in my OMNI systems, and HS seems like a great way to leverage the old while moving forward with the new.

And wouldn't it be convenient to load the HS touch software onto the Omnitouch screens.

Happy to move to a different forum if appropriate, but haven't seen much discussed on this anyplace.

With all the work folks here have engineered, I am very curious if anyone has pulled off this last convenient step.

CK

HSTouch only runs on Android, iOS, and Windows. I dont think the OmniTouch screens are compatible as they are somewhat married to the terminal.

That said, I think you could easily design a screen for HSTouch to do what the OmniTouch does. Do you have a screenshot of one of your screens?
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I thought the OmniTouch screen was just running Android under the covers. That was why I was thinking with a re-flash to a more stock build it should then be able to run the HSTouch software without change.

I have a spare OmniTouch I will have to do some tinkering with. I will share any findings.

I just figured someone else may have already worked this through.

CK

Comment

I only have the 1st gen touchscreens, not the newer, programmable ones. I believe Pete has the newer ones and can better confirm what hacks might be possible. I have opted to keep one omnitocuh screen as my "console". You need a true "console" to modify the omni system. The omni touchscreen are also way more stable than HStouch. I have wall mounted various android tablets running HStouch and have two 21" android tablets in the kitchen and my office. My wife absolutely loves HStouch and uses it daily. The biggest feature she likes is the ability to see the gate camera and close/open the gate from the tablet and similarly for the garage. My cameras are connected to HS3 through BlueIris so I can play video on the HStouch screens when motion is triggered. She knows if someone come in the driveway, to the back door or front door. She can also see if I'm out in the barn and talk to me via the Alex "announce" feature ... not part of HS3, but seamless to her as alexa is next to the tablet in the kitchen. She can also see the house thermostats and outside temps that I integrated into one HSTouch screen. She can also check the sprinklers and manually run a zone of she thinks something is too dry, set a rain delay, or decrease watering percent if she thinks things are too wet. Don't ask me why she cares about this stuff, but she does and loves to push buttons

I have found the cheap Amazon fire 7" tablets are very stable. Some tablets run the battery down too quickly, especially with the video being pushed. The fire tablets seem to do fine and work for me. the HStouch app does crash every so often. I have an app to monitor and restart HStouch when it does crash. This has made my setup a lot more reliable. It runs for months without needing a reboot. My brother in law uses samsung galaxy and he loves them. He has a cleaner magnet wall mount and hidden charging cables.

One last thought is I also recommend Android over other HStouch clients as it will auto scale to accommodate any resolution. This lets you write one HStouch environment and deploy to any android. I found with Windows I had to create a new set of screens for each resolution. I also found all of the HStouch functionality I used with Android deployment did not work when I went from a Windows HS3 server to a linux HS3 server. I had to go back to Windows (as the HS3 server) to get my HStouch android functionality to work right. Your millage may vary, but keep this in mind if as you start deploying HS3 + HStouch. Better to not change OS on server or clients to ensure compatibility.

Comment

Here tinkering with HAI touchscreen designer on Omnitouch 5.7e (4:3) and running HAI Touch Professional on my Homeseer Touch tablets (widescreen).

I am kind of trying to make them look the same and learning how to use the HAI touchscreen designer. Way more difficult learning curve compared to HSTouch.

I also have a few Omnitouch 5.7's which I never do anything with and they have run fine for years.

The OS of the Omnitouch 7 has come up a few times on Cocoontech. No one has tried to modify it yet.

Here running two Linux HS3 boxes and recently installed the HSDesigner on a Windows 2016 server for RDP use.

All of my HSTouch screens run in embedded Windows and have been fine for years now (15 tabletops). I also run MS SAPI speaker on these same clients with different speech fonts which I always tinker with.

Personally I would keep the exisiting Omnitouch OS on your Omnitouch 7 and just use Android tablets.

If you want to tinker with the Omnitouch 7 screen you can unlock the OS and redesign it using the HAI designer program.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by misc@ferrythecat.com View Post
            I thought the OmniTouch screen was just running Android under the covers. That was why I was thinking with a re-flash to a more stock build it should then be able to run the HSTouch software without change.

I have a spare OmniTouch I will have to do some tinkering with. I will share any findings.

I just figured someone else may have already worked this through.

CK
            They are running a custom ROM version of Android that is missing a lot of functions. Using the BitWise firmware, I was able to jump out to a browser and YouTube however it was not Chrome and it was very limited with no way to jump back to the BitWise app. I never did try loading anything with ADB so that might be a way if anyone wants to test it. Since the White OT7 went away, we have had some people use the Nuvo P30 screen with SnapLink. The P30 can also run HS Touch.

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
            X