Alexa Temperature Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Temperature Control

I am able to say Alexa increase or decrease the temperature for any of my 4 thermostats and she raises or lowers only the Cool temperature setting by 1.8 deg. F. Why only the Cool setting and why this amount? I wish it would raise or lower the average not just the Cool setting.

In Alexa routines I can set up a voice command saying "Alexa I'm Hot" and then it will only offer to set the thermostat to a specific predetermined average [of the cool and heat settings which are 4 deg apart] temperature. Why can't I continue to say I'm hot and have the average temperature raise 1.8 deg. F. like it does in my first paragraph but for the average of the cool and heat settings?

This is how the HomeSeer Smart Home API works. They take some calculation of the setpoint and temperature and derive an amount to increase/decrease the temperature.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

But why not increase/decrease the average instead of just the cool setting? And it is always 1.8° F plus or minus.

Comment

Mason can you tell me please which one of these device entries from my configuration should be voice activated and on the list of Alexa control devices?
        I believe these are all of the possible devices for one of my thermostats. Of course I do have thermostats checked in the configuration.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E855073C-C8A4-4FC3-8337-10C1AD44A00A.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1306601
          Attached Files

Comment

Basically, you need the root device to be named a friendly name - this is ultimately the device that the smart home api will use to control the child devices.
            Take a look at this sticky thread:
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/se...ai-thermostats

Comment

Thanks Mason however you can see there are 2 Root Services from the config I pasted above. One is an OMNI and the other is the Thermostat in this case for the Sunroom. Can I conclude that

1.The Sunroom RS needs a friendly name and needs to have voice control, activated?
              2.The Omni RS can be without voice control? and
              3. All those other 10 Sunroom thermostat functions can also be set without voice control?

I did this and all seems to be working as your API in Alexa is designed.

It appears from my testing the Sticky https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/se...ai-thermostats is true as follows.

"If the thermostat mode is Cool, the Cooling setpoint will be set."
              "If the thermostat mode is Heat, the Heating setpoint will be set."
              "If the thermostat mode is Auto, HomeSeer will set both setpoints to some value, attempting to make the temperature comfortable."

I seldom ask Alexa to alter temps but if I ask for a decrease or increase in temperature it changes the mode temps 1.8 deg. F per request. That is good.... but per below Alexa Routines do not allow the same function.

If I go to Alexa Routines and try to get the same increase or decrease result it does not function this way. ie. When you say "Alexa, increase Sunroom temperature" the only temp action I can find is under Smart Home then Control Device and my only logical choice is to choose the Sunroom Temperature and when I do the app takes me to a simple temperature scale with a white dot set on 70. I can then move the dot if I choose but where it is set that becomes the set temperature for the routine not what I expected.

Bottom line is that Alexa temperature routines are only available for setting specific temps. of thermostats and not for moving the temperature up or down as I am able to do above. I wonder why we cannot get the same function as the API offers?

Comment

The smart home API supports:
                Alexa, make the xxxxx warmer
                Alexa, make the xxxxx cooler

These commands increase or decrease the temperature by the calculated amount.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X