No announcement yet.

No temperature reading for thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason I’ve never created a virtual device and I’d like to do what you suggest but don’t have a clue on how to do it? Can you guide me to a section of the forums or explain in here steps I take to create those heat & cool devices/events please?

Comment

Sorry, I was out of the country last week.

In HS, click the green Plus sign on the Device List page to create a device
      Call it 'heat mode' or something similar.
      In the Voice Command field, call it 'heat mode'
      Tick the Voice Command Checkbox
      Click Done

Create another device and call it 'cold mode'
      In the Voice Command field, call it 'cold mode'
      Tick the Voice Command Checkbox
      Click Done

** At this point, rediscover your Alexa devices and make sure you see both devices in HS.
      ** You should be able to say 'Alexa, turn on heat mode' and 'Alexa turn off heat mode'
      ** You should be able to say 'Alexa, turn on cold mode' and 'Alexa turn off cold mode'
      ** Dont go any further until you can control these 2 devices with Alexa. You will see it change on the HS page.

Click on View -> Events
      Create an Event called Cold Mode ON
      Make it look like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	142
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1337679

Create other events, Cold Mode OFF, Heat Mode ON, Heat Mode OFF

Now, you can just tell Alexa to turn the mode on/off as-needed.

Hope this helps!

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm just curious.. and will delete this if this plugin doesn't do it...

I have a z-wave thermostat and google.. so bit different..
        but I do not use events or virtual devices..

I just walk in the kitchen and say.. ok google, set thermostat to cool and it just does it.. or I say.. ok google what is the thermostat temperature and it will say if it is off, heat or cool with current set temp and current temp... I then can say ok google set thermostat to 72 degrees...

I'm only asking as I know someone that was willing to give me an Omni ii and have been contemplating it.. just haven't really thought why I would with what I currently have.
        /hijack...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

It's not the plugin, or even HS, but the Alexa Smarthome skill (the non-ask homeseer to...) that is preventing control of the mode.
          It sounds like the Google Home interface has this covered.

The Omni Pro II is a great controller. If it is the ethernet version, then I would take it.
          If the interface is serial, then it may not be worth installing.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            It's not the plugin, or even HS, but the Alexa Smarthome skill (the non-ask homeseer to...) that is preventing control of the mode.
            It sounds like the Google Home interface has this covered.

The Omni Pro II is a great controller. If it is the ethernet version, then I would take it.
            If the interface is serial, then it may not be worth installing.
            txt is out and I recall he paid $1200 for it years ago.. he just said that he will check when he gets home as he may of chucked it...
            must be nice to have $$$$$$$$$
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Thermostat mode is not supported in the Smart Home API (V3 I think). So you cant control it directly on any thermostat.

You can, however, create a couple of virtual devices called Heat and Cool. Say "Alexa, turn on Heat" and have an event change your OMNI thermostat mode to Heat, etc.

Good news Mason I found out by trial and error that I can request thermostat modes changes between Heat, Cool and Auto by saying "Alexa set Main Floor to Heat" and of course you probably know that I can say "Alexa increase [or decrease] Main Floor temperature" and it increases the temp by 2 deg in that mode [in the case of Auto it changes the average of the high/low settings. So no virtual device was necessary as you thought was necessary. BTW setting up virtual devices wasn't fun.

Now I have an Alexa Routine set up to receive "Alexa I am Hot" or "Alexa I am Cold" and the routine steps are as follows with my Alexa Show talking to my 20' away Echo Dot, that's why the volume setting to 10. If we are cold then the mode is set to Heat and if we are hot then the mode is set to Cool first.

Of course it gets a little tricky to determine which of the 4 thermostat zones I want to change with this command but for now I am satisfied with the Main Floor making the change up or down to our request.

I would be interested what others use to get one echo talking to the other???

Comment

That's good!

Virtual Devices do make things much easier in HS. As you continue to build out your system, you'll find that setting them up is a breeze.

Comment

After reading this thread, it looks like the "alexa reporting" item previously mentioned is not really solved. Homeseer correctly reports degrees F in its web interface. However, alexa converts it to degrees C when it reports the temp. If I ask, "alexa, whats the temperature downstairs?", she rattles off the temp in degrees C, not F. I'm sure this is a simple toggle, but I don't know where to find it. This would explain the previous poster's 22-degrees being reported.

Comment

Originally posted by sj0s View Post
                    After reading this thread, it looks like the "alexa reporting" item previously mentioned is not really solved. Homeseer correctly reports degrees F in its web interface. However, alexa converts it to degrees C when it reports the temp. If I ask, "alexa, whats the temperature downstairs?", she rattles off the temp in degrees C, not F. I'm sure this is a simple toggle, but I don't know where to find it. This would explain the previous poster's 22-degrees being reported.
                    That toggle is in the Alexa App: Go to Settings and pick one of your devices, then scroll down to the "Measurement Units" section.

Comment

Yeah. I am unable to find a setting in my alexa app for "Measurement units" associated with the smart home device for the T-stat. However, I can see the device and toggle it. Here's the result. Units report as F, but the temp value provided is in C.

Homeseer correctly reports it in the web interface, and your plugin correctly reports it in the OMNI management. I don't believe this is a OMNI issue. T-stats are working (except missing fan/etc functions as noted) I emailed homeseer tech support and it seems there's a bug report about it, but not sure what the result is. Maybe I'm missing something as well, since I'm a n00b.

19 F

I changed it to Metric and it reports as -7.5 degrees.... WHAAAaaaa

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-of-fahrenheit

Comment

Working...
                      X