Mason can you help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason can you help

For the third time in 10 days my Amazon Homeseer SmartHome Skill had to be disabled and then relinked to make Alexa recognize my skill devices. I have reported this unlinking of the skill to Amazon to no avail. Mason,You have been very successful in creating an outstanding plug in, Omni for HS3 which is now trouble free but it seems that some entity is sabotaging it's faultless operation. Can you go to bat for us and help find out what entity is the culprit to this repeated unlinking of the skill? BTW I have found that after reenabling it is unnecessary to Discover Devices. In other words all works well immediately after relinking the skill. I can't imagine this is a localized problem as others have reported it happening. Thank you for any help you can give us....Steve Chase

Same problem. In addition I'm getting a "There is more than one device named <unit name> which one do you want?" However, in SOME cases, not all, I can say the room name plus the unit name and get it to work. For example, a unit named "Kitchen Lights" in HS with the Room Name "Kitchen" requires me to say "Alexa turn on Kitchen Kitchen Lights" to get it to respond. But it's hit or miss which units require this convention. I'm stumped and frustrated. The WAF is at 0% (wife acceptance factor) which is making things worse!

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
      Same problem. In addition I'm getting a "There is more than one device named <unit name> which one do you want?" However, in SOME cases, not all, I can say the room name plus the unit name and get it to work. For example, a unit named "Kitchen Lights" in HS with the Room Name "Kitchen" requires me to say "Alexa turn on Kitchen Kitchen Lights" to get it to respond. But it's hit or miss which units require this convention. I'm stumped and frustrated. The WAF is at 0% (wife acceptance factor) which is making things worse!
      Log into https://alexa.amazon.com/ and review your devices that have been discovered and you will see the duplicate names. Alexa's discovery will first create a device with your Event View Name field and it also discovers the same device with a room appended. You can edit which devices you want to be available in your SmartHome section of the web site.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Log into https://alexa.amazon.com/ and review your devices that have been discovered and you will see the duplicate names. Alexa's discovery will first create a device with your Event View Name field and it also discovers the same device with a room appended. You can edit which devices you want to be available in your SmartHome section of the web site.
        No go. I removed the room name "Kitchen" from Kitchen lights and it still doesn't work and rediscovered. What is the best way to name the rooms, if at all and reset everything?

There is only one reference to the problematic Kitchen Lights:
        OMNI OMNI Units Kitchen Lights
        Kitchen Lights in OMNI OMNI Units, connected via HomeSeer

I appreciate your patience, time and help.

Comment

No go. I removed the room name "Kitchen" from Kitchen lights and it still doesn't work and rediscovered. What is the best way to name the rooms, if at all and reset everything?

There is only one reference to the problematic Kitchen Lights:
          OMNI OMNI Units Kitchen Lights
          Kitchen Lights in OMNI OMNI Units, connected via HomeSeer

I appreciate your patience, time and help.
          You do not want to remove your room within HS3, I was referring to removing any duplicates within Alexas SmartHome Devices at https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home. Which skill are you using?
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

You do not want to remove your room within HS3, I was referring to removing any duplicates within Alexas SmartHome Devices at https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home. Which skill are you using?
            I'm using the skill where you do not need to say "...tell Homeseer to..." Instead simply "Alexa turn on Kitchen Lights" Also, there are no duplicates for Kitchen Lights or anything else on the link above. Thank you again for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaser View Post
              For the third time in 10 days my Amazon Homeseer SmartHome Skill had to be disabled and then relinked to make Alexa recognize my skill devices. I have reported this unlinking of the skill to Amazon to no avail. Mason,You have been very successful in creating an outstanding plug in, Omni for HS3 which is now trouble free but it seems that some entity is sabotaging it's faultless operation. Can you go to bat for us and help find out what entity is the culprit to this repeated unlinking of the skill? BTW I have found that after reenabling it is unnecessary to Discover Devices. In other words all works well immediately after relinking the skill. I can't imagine this is a localized problem as others have reported it happening. Thank you for any help you can give us....Steve Chase
              In my installation, I have 7 Echoes (including Echo Auto in my truck) but I only control a small subset of devices - keeping it simple.
              At one time, HS defaulted EVERYTHING to voice activated. This caused a lot of problems like the duplicate device name issue.

So, I would start by using the bulk actions at the top of the HS device page to Disable all Voice. This will let you start with a clean slate.
              Alexa, discover devices will just Add devices, so go into the Alexa app manually, then delete all the devices.
              Now, you should have no voice controlled devices. on either side - HS, or Alexa.
              In your virtual device, go into the device and click in the Voice Command field, give it a friendly name that you want to use with Alexa.
              At this point, you can use Alexa, discover devices and you should now see your device in the Alexa app.
              Make sure you can reliably turn that device on/off with Alexa and you can see it change in HS.

I would create virtual devices for everything you want to control with Alexa. Once you get those like you want them, create events to turn your OMNI areas on/off.

You may not really need to keep your virtual device in sync. In HS, instead of using "Changes and Becomes..." you can probably just use "Had its value set to..."
              This would fire every time you told it to turn on or off.
              You can play around with that to see if it behaves the way you want.

Hope this helps.
              HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
              64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
              UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
              Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I would not use the HS method of automatically pre-pending the room name and device name. You'll get dup names.
                Click in the Voice Command field of the device to control and use your own.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I would not use the HS method of automatically pre-pending the room name and device name. You'll get dup names.
                  Click in the Voice Command field of the device to control and use your own.
                  After entering the Voice Command text do I need to re-discover the devices in Alexa? Forget all and then re-discover? Or some other sequence?
                  Thanks!

Comment

After entering the Voice Command text do I need to re-discover the devices in Alexa? Forget all and then re-discover? Or some other sequence?
                    Thanks!
                    Yes - as a rule of thumb, anytime you change the device properties, go ahead and re-discover.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

In your virtual device, go into the device and click in the Voice Command field, give it a friendly name that you want to use with Alexa.
                      At this point, you can use Alexa, discover devices and you should now see your device in the Alexa app.
                      Make sure you can reliably turn that device on/off with Alexa and you can see it change in HS.

I would create virtual devices for everything you want to control with Alexa. Once you get those like you want them, create events to turn your OMNI areas on/off.

You may not really need to keep your virtual device in sync. In HS, instead of using "Changes and Becomes..." you can probably just use "Had its value set to..."
                      This would fire every time you told it to turn on or off.
                      You can play around with that to see if it behaves the way you want.

Hope this helps.
                      Mason are you replying to me or someone else's problem? I am not sure you understand what is happening on my end. I currently have no virtual devices instead I have 133 total OPII devices which includes 17 flags, 17 buttons, 4 thermostats & the rest are lights. These all work very well when we can remember the correct friendly names and when the HS smart home skill is linked. It is the unlinking of the skill in the background which is causing the problem. As I said when ie. about 2 times per month, Alexa replies that she has NO knowledge of the device I go to the Alexa app and disable and immediately relink the skill and all is well without rediscovery of the devices.
                      I hope you are not saying that HS and Alexa only play well together if the device is virtual? My non-virtual devices work great except when the behind the scene's skill unlinking occurs for no apparent reason.
                      I am not wanting to totally do a make over/conversion of all these devices unless convinced Alexa and HS won't play well otherwise. It has been 6 days and no unlinking of the skill.

Comment

Mason are you replying to me or someone else's problem? I am not sure you understand what is happening on my end. I currently have no virtual devices instead I have 133 total OPII devices which includes 17 flags, 17 buttons, 4 thermostats & the rest are lights. These all work very well when we can remember the correct friendly names and when the HS smart home skill is linked. It is the unlinking of the skill in the background which is causing the problem. As I said when ie. about 2 times per month, Alexa replies that she has NO knowledge of the device I go to the Alexa app and disable and immediately relink the skill and all is well without rediscovery of the devices.
                        I hope you are not saying that HS and Alexa only play well together if the device is virtual? My non-virtual devices work great except when the behind the scene's skill unlinking occurs for no apparent reason.
                        I am not wanting to totally do a make over/conversion of all these devices unless convinced Alexa and HS won't play well otherwise. It has been 6 days and no unlinking of the skill.
                        Gotcha. Virtual Devices just work better for me in controlling devices with Alexa.

I'm not sure what would be causing the link between HS and Alexa to fail. I've had it happen before, but it's been a while. Once things are setup, it works pretty well.

Comment

Mason you can see here that others not using your plugin have this unlinkiing problem.. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...g-for-homeseer

So it appears to be between Amazon and HS and as you say not associatied with your plug in. Any suggestion as to where we go to get attention paid to this by HS people?

Comment

Mason you can see here that others not using your plugin have this unlinkiing problem.. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...g-for-homeseer

So it appears to be between Amazon and HS and as you say not associatied with your plug in. Any suggestion as to where we go to get attention paid to this by HS people?
                            You'll have to work directly with support at homeseer with support@homeseer.com

I would recommend that you monitor your HS logs for myhs disconnects/reconnects. They will likely ask for your logs to confirm.

Comment

Working...
                            X