Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS and Omni (Keeping virtual devices in Sync with Omni)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS and Omni (Keeping virtual devices in Sync with Omni)

If I have a virtual device called "Security Switch" (on and off button) and HS sees "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" from the initial import when I enabled the plugin. I have an event that when the virtual device changes to "ON" then "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" get set to "Arm Night". Simple, right? Works great.

Now factor in that my Wife doesn't use HS or any Alexa commands to disarm the system in the morning and just disarms the Omni from the Omni keypad. At this point, Omni shows Disarmed and the HS "Security Switch" still shows "ON" unless I add another event that when "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" changes to Disarmed, then turn "OFF" the "Security Switch" My question is doesn't this create a loop or is there a better way to do this? Im just trying to figure a good way to if I do something on the HS and then do something on the Omni, that they reflect the right ON/Off status. Need help before I start drinking again...lol

Originally posted by Homer-j-simpson137 View Post
    If I have a virtual device called "Security Switch" (on and off button) and HS sees "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" from the initial import when I enabled the plugin. I have an event that when the virtual device changes to "ON" then "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" get set to "Arm Night". Simple, right? Works great.
    As one would expect.

Now factor in that my Wife doesn't use HS or any Alexa commands to disarm the system in the morning and just disarms the Omni from the Omni keypad. At this point, Omni shows Disarmed and the HS "Security Switch" still shows "ON" unless I add another event that when "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" changes to Disarmed, then turn "OFF" the "Security Switch" My question is doesn't this create a loop or is there a better way to do this?
    The event you describe to turn off "Security Switch" would keep "Security Switch" in sync with the Omni Area Mode parameter. There would be no out of control execution loop. However, I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by creating the virtual device "Security Switch" and the two events that keep it in sync with "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)". I don't use Alexa, so perhaps Alexa can only control a virtual device. But I would guess that if your Alexa can control a virtual device, it ought to be able also to control directly the "Omni Area Mode Main House (01)" Omni device. Perhaps the Alexa link can't directly deal with a multi-valued device?

Comment

Have you fully thought this through? It seems that you are trying to map a bi-valued virtual device to a multi-valued Omni device. I'm wondering, for example, what value(s) you would expect "Security Switch" to assume when you tell the Omni panel you are going AWAY or on VACATION....

Comment

Hi Ericg, You are right that it's because of Alexa and wanting to control how I say the command so thats why I use the named switch. Also we spoke on a different thread about other alarm modes like the Away mode and it seems there is an issue when I arm the Omni from HS to away, that any bypassed zone becomes unbypassed so I gave up on this mode and just have it for night mode for now. Although I spoke to Leviton and they gave me instructions on reseting the Omni ram because they found this behavior to be crazy as well.

Comment

If you are just wanting to be able to trigger an action with a virtual device switch, you can set up the switch to have more than on-off functionality. I have virtual room switches with on-off and 50% positions. When the virtual switch turns on, it triggers an omni button that turns on all the lights in that room. When the virtual switch goes to off, it triggers a button to turn off the lights in the room. This can easily get out of sync. If the lights are turned off with the voice command and then turned on with physical switches, the voice command would not work because the virtual switch would already be off and could not change to off. Instead, in the event that runs the Omni buttons, the last line sets the virtual switch at 50%. Consider it an idle position. It is then ready to turn off or on by a voice command regardless of what has happened with the physical switches. You could easily "park" your security switch into an arbitrary random position at the end of your event to be ready to trigger whatever security mode you prefer.

This was all done for wife acceptance factor because she does not differentiate between physical switches and Omni Buttons and will not discriminate between "Alexa, turn kitchen chandelier on" and "Alexa, run kitchen lights on." I have a virtual switch called "Kitchen Lights" and she can just say "Alexa, turn Kitchen Lights On" or "Off" and it works. It seems that Alexa Skills need to match with spouse skills to make an effective voice control interface.

Comment

Working...
          X