New Install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Install help

Looking to integrate my Omni to my HomeSeer, but not seeing any introduction documents on connectivity and configuration. Can someone point me in the right direction?

barodge, welcome to the HomeSeer forum! I think you'll find it extremely helpful.

First, if you don't already have it, you will need to get and install the (excellent!) OMNI plug-in, written by rmasonjr . Plug-in installation is very easy. Go to the HS3 PLUG-INS page and click Manage. Open Additional Interfaces, then within it, open the Security section. Find the OMNI plug-in. Click the Install box in the first column of the entry.

Go near the top of the same page to the Pending Updates/Installs section. You should see an OMNI entry underneath. Click the Downloand and Install button, and the latest version of the plug-in will automatically download and install.

A successful install of the plug-in will add a new OMNI entry to the HS3 PLUG-INS drop down menu. Hover over the OMNI entry and a submenu will display. Select OMNI Config. A new page will display with lots of tabs. The critical one you must get right is the first one: Panel. You must fill in these entries correctly for the plug-in to be able to talk to your security system.

If you get this far and still have problems, post again and we'll continue.

Comment

Thanks ericg I was out of town the weekend.

barodge let us know how it goes for you. We'll get you connected and running asap...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I haven't started the implementation yet -- just trying to understand everything before I rip out the old one. I currently have a HAL Omni interfaced to a Savant.

One last question ( I think!). What is the hardware interface between the HomeSeer and the Omni? I'm not sure what I have for the Savant, but I'm hoping that it is ethernet.

Let me know. Thanks!

Comment

The HS3 OMNI plug-in uses ethernet to connect HS3 to the OmniPro system. That Panel tab I mentioned in post #2 is where you supply the ethernet address of your OmniPro system.

Comment

OK -- guess I need some help. Not working, but I'm sure it is some sort of configuration issue.
            Here's what I have so far:
            -- My Omni is currently connected to a Savant, which I am replacing with HomeSeer. I have HomeSeer at my business and love it.
            -- I went to the control panel of the Omni and found the IP, Port, and two encryption keys. Entered it into the HomeSeer Omni plugin. I did not check any Expansion Models as I don't think I have any.
            -- Rebooted the HomeSeer, and found Devices were created. However, none of them are controllable. Seems to be default ones created as part of the plugin addition.
            -- No entries were created in the Omni log files.

Possible problems:
            -- Simple configuration issue(s). I'm sure that is it.
            -- Could there be an issue with the Savant still connected and also communicating with the Omni? I am assuming that this would not be a problem, but maybe it is.

I've uploaded a couple screens. Any ideas?

Comment

Are those keys in the screenshot correct?
              Over on the Units tab, did you 'check' the devices you want to control?

Under the Configuration tab, set the logging mode to DEBUG and restart HS and then check the OMNI Logs for any messages.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help on this.

I turned on DEBUG to the logs, and it does appear to be a connectivity issue. Attached are screen shots of those screens you outlined previously.

I did enter the encryption as displayed on the OMNI panel, including the "Dashes" (xx-xx-...). Is this the correct format for input?

Again, my Savant system is still online, so I hope this problem isn't caused because of a limit of connections to the OMNI.

Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Units Config.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1370991Click image for larger version

Name:	OMNI Log 1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1370992

Comment

One more screenshot. Log file from HomeSeer. Click image for larger version

Name:	Homeseer log 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1370995

Comment

Yep, the OMNI Logs indicate that it cant even reach the panel. Are you sure the IP of the panel is 10.10.10.5 ? The reason I ask is that your HS logs indicate some connections from 10.10.0.200.

Are you sure your panel is on a different subnet?

Comment

10.10.10.x is definitely correct. 10.10.0.x is the subnet first my office, where I have a VPN P2P connection — I logged in from there yesterday.

I read the IP address directly from the Omni panel. However, I did notice I cannot ping anything at that address, nor do I see any active ports open at that address when I scan it.

Any ideas?

Comment

Yeah, if you cant ping the panel from HS, then something is blocking in your network.

Comment

I would agree. But I'm still stuck. I've changed IP address 3X on the Omni, new encryption keys, changed ports on the switch, even plugged into a different switch -- all the same results with no ping or connectivity. I do get link lights on both the Omni and the switch, so at some level the hardware does seem to see each other.

Since my last post, I did talk to the original installer who did the whole Savant/Omni install, and he said the communication is done between the two NOT by ethernet, but rather the RS-232/422 interface. So maybe the ethernet portion has never been connected???

I know this forum is not a OmniPro II technician forum. But does anyone have ideas where to head next? If I can't figure this out, I'll call back the original tech for an on-site visit, but 3 hrs roundtrip drive time and to tell him I need help because I am disconnecting his Savant -- I think I know his answer to this.

Comment

I guess I asked for help too soon. I finally figured it out, and thanks to an old thread on the HomeSeer forum. Seems the ethernet port on the Omni is poorly designed, and tends to shut down if it is in high-traffic switches. With battery backup, this probably hasn't been unplugged since 2012.

Unplugged the battery, unplugged the AC source, rebooted, and problem solved.

I tend to look for complexity in simplicity... :-)

Comment

nice! glad you got it going!

Comment

Working...
                              X