Set a Flag using Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set a Flag using Alexa

How do I set an Omni flag with Alexa? I've tried all combinations of text and I still can't get it to work. I did set the voice command name in HS and enabled voice for the flag device. I know a workaround would be to create an event in HS to enable the flag, but I'd rather not have to duplicate the flags with corresponding events.

Ultimately, I am going to use the flag to trigger a UPB link in the Omni automation.

Any help would be appreciated.

flag control.JPG One day, home automation will work nicely without multiple confusing layers of arcane processing, and awkward workarounds, maybe will even be documented. Not today

I tried something, seems like it may work for you - enable voice control for your flag. Set the status graphics like this so there is an On and Off command for Alexa to use. Run Alexa Discover to find it. Then should be able to say Alexa, turn on "flag name" or turn off "flag name". Did not test much, but seemed to work for me. Can also set values to 0, 1 instead of 0,255 if you prefer or if works better. Status names can probably be anything you want as long as control use is On, Off. Good luck!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	flag control.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1386859

Comment

JFree - Many thanks for taking the time to help out. I appreciated the solution as much as I enjoyed the preamble! Worked perfectly. I learned a lot about setting up device values by following your example.
      Stay safe...

Comment

I just had another thought, based on what I'm trying to accomplish in the end. Is it possible to set a flag via Alexa to a particular value? I.E. "Alexa set FanFlag to 50?" I am using the flag value to send UPB links to my fan controller.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
          I just had another thought, based on what I'm trying to accomplish in the end. Is it possible to set a flag via Alexa to a particular value? I.E. "Alexa set FanFlag to 50?" I am using the flag value to send UPB links to my fan controller.
          Ahh, I just answered my own question. Flags in Omni Automation can only be set to On or Off.

Comment

Glad to help, and glad this worked for you!

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Ahh, I just answered my own question. Flags in Omni Automation can only be set to On or Off.
            Not sure what you meant here. Flags at the Omni level are an 8 bit number, can be incremented and decrements and set to any 8 bit value 0-255, and tested as such. I think same for HS use of flags. Not so sure if Alexa can set to intermediate values, but might try making it dimmable, setting up the controls more like a light in HS, and asking Alexa to Dim or Brighten.

Again, good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Jfree23 View Post
              Glad to help, and glad this worked for you!

Not sure what you meant here. Flags at the Omni level are an 8 bit number, can be incremented and decrements and set to any 8 bit value 0-255, and tested as such. I think same for HS use of flags. Not so sure if Alexa can set to intermediate values, but might try making it dimmable, setting up the controls more like a light in HS, and asking Alexa to Dim or Brighten.

Again, good luck...
              Sorry, I was unclear. When checking a flag as a trigger in an Omni Automation eventClick image for larger version

Name:	flags.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1387151 the only choices for the flag are On-Off, and Set. It doesn't allow me to pick the value of the flag to use as the trigger. Pic attached.

Thanks!

Comment

Hmm, I think you are correct, events in Omni can only be triggered by on/off conditions, not on a flag or any device reaching a specific value. You can test for specific values as a condition for triggering an event, but but would need something else to to start that process. Maybe a dummy trigger ("Every") that runs every so many seconds, checks the flag value as a conditions and triggers or not based on that. Not sure what you are trying to do exactly. You could create the event in HS that triggers on flag reaching certain value, never done that myself.

Comment

Working...
                X