Strange Lighting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Lighting problem

Something strange just started going on with my lights. Jumping ahead to the end of the story, the basic issue is that when I turn my lights up to full brightness using the dimmer switch, they dim back down after a couple of seconds to the last level like something is sending a last level command. The same thing happens when I control the lights using the Homekit app on my phone. Now for the history that might help solve this mystery:

I have Homeseer on a Zee2 running HS3. Works fine so I didn't see a reason to upgrade to HS4 and potentially mess things up.

I have UPB light switches controlled through my Omni. The switches are set up through the Upstart program. Homeseer, of course, talks to the Omni through Rob's plugin. Homekit talks to Homeseer through Homebridge. Everything worked great until recently.

For some reason all the controls in my HS Mobile app disappeared from my widgets. I am not the only one this has happened to apparently. There is another thread about this in the HS Mobile forum. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-in-dashboards

Since I couldn't use HS Mobile I downloaded an app called HSBuddy to my iPad. Seemed to work pretty well.

I also recently upgraded the Omni plugin to 3.0.2.23. One thing I noticed when I upgraded was that the "ramp" boxes were checked for all my UPB Homeseer devices whereas I don't think the ramp boxes were checked before. Not 100% sure about that though.

The new app and the upgrade to the Omni plugin are the only changes I have made to my system.

Last night I went to turn on the kitchen lights to full brightness using the wall switch and they went bright and immediately dimmed back down to about 50%. When I held the top rocker they went up and then pulled back down even while I was holding the rocker down with my finger. Then I tried to turn them on full using the Homekit app. Same thing; they went on and immediately dimmed. Finally, I tried the new HSBuddy app and they went on and stayed on. (Its not just the kitchen lights that are doing this. It is all my UPB lights.)

I assumed the HSBuddy app must have stored the last level and when it sensed the light turning on it was sending a last level command and dimming them back down. But that doesn't seem to be what is happening. I sent logs to the developer of the app and he says it is not sending anything in response to a local change from the dimmer switch. You can see the exchange here:
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/us...-this-is-weird

To make sure I completely powered off the iPad so the HSBuddy app could not operate and the switches still do the same thing, so something else is causing them to dim back down.

That seems to leave the Omni plugin. Any idea what could possibly be going on? I sure could use some help solving this.

One more thing: This is the only thing I see in the Homeseer log but it is Greek to me.
    May-23 4:33:10 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page OMNI: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> Server stack trace: Exception rethrown at [0]: at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object:__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper (intptr,intptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI:PostBackProc (string,string,string,int) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) <0x71358178 + 0x000db> in :0

Comment

In the plugin config, set the debug level to DEBUG.

Next, do two tests - one with the Ramp option set and one without.
      Send me the Logs/OMNI.log file to robmasonjr67@yahoo.com
      (You can also use the OMNI Logs option to view the logs)
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

That error message is from a web page submit, so it just looks like a web page was open to the OMNI config.

Comment

Thanks. I have been busy today so I haven't had time to experiment and do the logs yet. One question though.

Considering what the UPB switches were doing when controlled locally (i.e. at the dimmer switch), it almost seemed like their internal configuration had been modified like you would do through Upstart. Do you think it is possible the HSBuddy app did that? It could not do it directly of course since it only communicates with Homeseer, which communicates with the Omni, which communicates with the switched down the power line, so in effect any modification would have to go through the Omni.

In other words, maybe it is not the Omni sending a last level command after the switch is pressed, but the switch itself had been reconfigured to go to last level when pressed. Could that happen?

Comment

I cant imagine that happening. Upstart is the only method I know to modify a UPB module. I'm not an expert on UPB, tho...

Comment

Working...
            X