Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing the SimpliSafe alarm system HS3 plugin

Description

SimpliSafe offers competitively priced and comprehensive alarm systems that are easily installed by the homeowner. They support numerous types of sensors and many configuration options. This plug-in enables control and monitoring of the key capabilities of the SimpliSafe system, including when an alarm has been triggered, configuring how the system should respond when a sensor is tripped and arming the system wherever you are. With few exceptions, what you can do in the SimpliSafe app or website is exposed through this plug-in so that you can integrate it with your HomeSeer 3 installation.

The plug-in supports both SimpliSafe v2 and v3 systems as well as multiple sites. In other words, if you have your primary home and a vacation home, both with SimpliSafe systems, this plug-in will detect both systems in your account and give you access to them.

NOTE: All data and controls are access by the plug-in through the SimpliSafe online service. This means the plug-in can run anywhere that you have Internet connectivity and work. It does not have to be located in the same place as the alarm system itself. This does mean, however, that changes are not instantaneously detected and are dependent on how quickly the data is polled. Currently critical sensor changes (e.g., door open/close events and alarms) are polled every 60 seconds and this is fixed within the plug-in. The plug-in also has a broader poll that is user-configurable (default 1 hour) that looks for changes in all the devices and settings. SimpliSafe v2 systems operated primary using cellular network connections so they tend to be a bit slow and polling faster isn’t valuable. SimpliSafe v3 systems are Wi-Fi based and therefore can be polled more often.

How It Works

The plug-in uses the same login credentials as you use for your SimpliSafe app or web site access. As long as you can login to these and get information about your system, the plug-in can do so as well. Note, it has been reported that if you don't have SimpliSafe monitoring that you won't have access to your system in the app or web site but I have not confirmed this. If this is the case, the plug-in will not be able to connect to your system.

As all the system data is stored either in the SimpliSafe server or your alarm system locally, the plug-in does not need to run locally to work. It can be installed on any HomeSeer system that has Internet access and will detect all SimpliSafe systems under your account.

Main Features
    • Reads basic account information and detects all the SimpliSafe v2 and v3 installations under your account
    • Controls all the basic functions of the alarm systems including
    • Alarm mode (Off, Home, Away)
    • Sensor status (kind of sensor, current state, battery state, ...)
    • Sensor configuration (how the system reacts when a sensor is triggered)
    • Alarm triggered
    • System options such as alarm volume, door chime, voice prompt volume, ...
    • Entry/exit delay configuration

Example Usage
    • Enable/disable your alarm system
    • Monitor sensor status and perform actions when their state changes
    • Configure system settings

DownloadsInitial setup and Getting started
    • The plug-in is available through the standard HS3 updater. Just download it and install it.
    • The plug-in will start automatically but will not create any HS3 devices until you enter your username/password info into the Config screen under the Plugins->SimpliSafe>Config page in the HS3 UI.
    • There are default username/password values in the fields that you need to replace with your real credentials. If the plug-in sees either of these default values, it will not try to connect to SimpliSafe site or create any devices.
      • NOTE: You get your username/password by creating an account with the SimpliSafe app or web site.
    • Once you enter your valid credentials, the plug-in is designed to automatically go try to connect and get your data. No restart of the plug-in should be required (but it won't hurt either). If it is able to successfully log in, it will initially create all the needed devices in HS3 and then populate them with your data..
    • Optionally you can set the refresh rate of the data from the SimpliSafe data feed to fully refresh system data. The default is 1 hour. The plug-in also monitors alarm state and sensor state at a much faster rate (1 minute) to allow you to react to these changes more quickly. Currently this polling rate is not user configurable.
    • Optionally you can turn on debug info but this is only useful if you need some help from me on a bug. Default is off.
    Requirements
    • Recent build of HS3. I haven't gone back to see if it breaks anywhere back in old builds but I think what I'm doing is pretty straightforward so it shouldn't have too much sensitivity on the version.
    • You need the .NET runtime 4.x+ on Windows or the equivalent Mono on Linux. I haven't extensively tested what versions it will/won't work with but pick something fairly recent and you should be good.
    • I use the NewtonSoft JSON DLL but install it in my own bin directory under the HS3 installation per the guidance from HS so it should be good to go.
    Support
    • Please drop me a note here if you have questions or run into problems. This isn't my full-time job but I will be happy to try to help and address bugs as fast as possible. And feature requests are always appreciated.

Version 3.0.0.1- Released July 17, 2019
    • Initial release to the HS3 updater.

Screenshots

Example screenshot of the devices created:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Devices.PNG
Views:	1733
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	1316204

Configuration page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.PNG
Views:	1723
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	1316203
    Attached Files

XboxMeister - I currently have Nest Security (Nest Guard, Nest Door/Window Sensors, Nest Hello Doorbell, Nest Yale Lock, Nest Thermostats, Nest Cameras and Nest Protects) and I hate that I cannot integrate my Nest Security into my Homeseer platform. I am looking into SimplySafe and I am wondering if I would be able to use my Nest Protect Smoke Detectors and Nest Thermostats with this product and its integration with my HS3 server. Is this possible? Or do you recommend Smoke Dectectors with SimplySafe?

Another question: will I be able to see all my sensors from SimplySafe (doors, windows, glass and water sensors - if they make them) in my HS Mobile app and will I be able to arm and disarm using my HS Mobile app?

Also, If you have a YouTube channel would you be willing to post a video of your SimplySafe integration with HS3 and HS Mobile App? I am very interested in trying SimplySafe just because of your plugin!!

Finally, the last question, if I purchase this do you have plans to fully support and add on to this plugin down the road?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the SimpliSafe plugin.

SimpliSafe does integrate to some level with the Nest devices but I have not currently implemented that and am not sure how complete the integration is yet compared to their standard sensors. It is on my list of things to add, however. For the moment, I would use the SimpliSafe smoke detectors as they are certainly supported.

SS does make entry, glass break, freeze and water sensors, among others. All of them are recognized by the plug-in. You will be able to see all of them but note that not all of them give a real-time status I can report. For example motion detectors currently don't report back that motion has been detected other than if they are set to trigger your alarm, in which case the alarm will be reported but not specific motion on that sensor. Entry sensors do report open/closed, however. This is all a function of what SS decides to report through their data interface. If it is there, the plug-in reports it. As for the overall system, yes you can set the alarm mode to Off, Home or Away through any HomeSeer client. You can see those control buttons in the image above and they are available through any HS interface including the mobile app.

No Youtube channel at this time. What would you like to see as far as integration in such a video?

Support is ongoing and I plan to keep it going. I just recently released the plug-in and am actively enhancing it. Most features are already implemented at this time but the two major areas to be added still are Nest integration and support for the SS cameras.

Just as a personal comment, I have two SS systems, one v2 and one v3 (the latest). The system works very well and gives me all the functions I need to protect my homes. My only complaint is that things like the entry sensors are mounted on the face of the door/door frame vs. embedded in the door and frame (where they'd be less visible). That's a decision they made to just make it easy to install. It's probably possible to embed them if you really wanted to cut pockets for the units but they weren't designed that way. Otherwise, however, the other sensors are pretty comparable to what you would find on alarms from major vendors and have the benefit of being wireless so they are easily installed, relocated and don't require a bunch of drilling for wires.

-XM

Originally posted by ajgurrieri View Post
      XboxMeister - I currently have Nest Security (Nest Guard, Nest Door/Window Sensors, Nest Hello Doorbell, Nest Yale Lock, Nest Thermostats, Nest Cameras and Nest Protects) and I hate that I cannot integrate my Nest Security into my Homeseer platform. I am looking into SimplySafe and I am wondering if I would be able to use my Nest Protect Smoke Detectors and Nest Thermostats with this product and its integration with my HS3 server. Is this possible? Or do you recommend Smoke Dectectors with SimplySafe?

Another question: will I be able to see all my sensors from SimplySafe (doors, windows, glass and water sensors - if they make them) in my HS Mobile app and will I be able to arm and disarm using my HS Mobile app?

Also, If you have a YouTube channel would you be willing to post a video of your SimplySafe integration with HS3 and HS Mobile App? I am very interested in trying SimplySafe just because of your plugin!!

Finally, the last question, if I purchase this do you have plans to fully support and add on to this plugin down the road?

Comment

Originally posted by XboxMeister View Post
        No Youtube channel at this time. What would you like to see as far as integration in such a video?
        I was hoping to see a demo of the HS Mobile app (IE, physically open a door and see how quick the mobile app interprets the signal and shows open. Same with setting the alarm to away or home and or disabling it all through the HS mobile app so i can get an idea on how quickly SS gets the request from the HS Plugin. I am using Windows 10 and I have 32GB memory i7 Processor for my HS3 WebServer and the Homeseer ZStick. Everything else seems really quick, like our Life360 Plugin. Which leads me to another question Can I use my life360 plugin and set up an HS event to set the alarm to away if all my life360 devices (family members) show not home (also vice versa to set to home if one of the Life360 devices status change to home)?

You can see those control buttons in the image above and they are available through any HS interface including the mobile app.
        If you cant do a YouTube, can you post pics of the HS Mobile App so we can see the images you are using for your plugin's devices?

support for the SS cameras
        So, I have all Nest cameras and they are EXPENSIVE. Also, every time Nest releases some security patch it messes up my HS plugin. Does this happen very much with SS? Last Question, I heard SS is going to release a doorbell and an outdoor camera. Do you think you'll be able to get these devices and cameras into this HS plugin? I took me a little bit to figure out how to add nest cameras into HS3 (check out this link to where I posted it and maybe this can help you with SS cameras - https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/th...cameras-workin )

I am really excited to get a Home Security DIY system to integrate into my Homeseer and SS looks like it is far better than Nest and Ring! I really like the new v3 Keypads! I may just have to drop Nest altogether and sell on Craigslist and replace with all SS devices. I am just waiting on the doorbell and a door lock too (which i hear they are releasing soon.)

Comment

The data interface for SS uses polling and I believe I have the refresh for sensor and alarm state set to 60 second refreshes so that would be the longest it would take for it to update in HS3. For SSv3 I am thinking I can increase that to much faster as it operates on Wi-Fi vs. celluar communications as v2 used to. So it isn't going to be instantaneous and if someone opened/closed a door quickly (less than 60 seconds) it could be missed. The goal wasn't to replace the alarm functions of SS but rather to control it and notify HS3 when the alarm goes off. But as I said I can easily make it check faster (probably every 10 seconds or so).

Like any HS3 devices, you can control them via events and scripts. So in your example of life360, if you had HS3 events/scripts that could tell when no one was at home, you can easily set the alarm mode to "Away" and SS will activate the alarm. As that is a command sent to SS, it is pretty fast, as fast as sending it via the SS app. When I hit the "Away" button, my keypad on my SSv3 system responds almost immediately to start the countdown for the alarm activation.

SS does camera updates as well but I haven't seen any issues with them. As they aren't in my plug-in yet, I can't speak to any HS3 issues from it but I wouldn't anticipate any.

I do plan to support the doorbell and outdoor camera as well in future releases.

Originally posted by ajgurrieri View Post

I was hoping to see a demo of the HS Mobile app (IE, physically open a door and see how quick the mobile app interprets the signal and shows open. Same with setting the alarm to away or home and or disabling it all through the HS mobile app so i can get an idea on how quickly SS gets the request from the HS Plugin. I am using Windows 10 and I have 32GB memory i7 Processor for my HS3 WebServer and the Homeseer ZStick. Everything else seems really quick, like our Life360 Plugin. Which leads me to another question Can I use my life360 plugin and set up an HS event to set the alarm to away if all my life360 devices (family members) show not home (also vice versa to set to home if one of the Life360 devices status change to home)?

If you cant do a YouTube, can you post pics of the HS Mobile App so we can see the images you are using for your plugin's devices?

So, I have all Nest cameras and they are EXPENSIVE. Also, every time Nest releases some security patch it messes up my HS plugin. Does this happen very much with SS? Last Question, I heard SS is going to release a doorbell and an outdoor camera. Do you think you'll be able to get these devices and cameras into this HS plugin? I took me a little bit to figure out how to add nest cameras into HS3 (check out this link to where I posted it and maybe this can help you with SS cameras - https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/th...cameras-workin )

I am really excited to get a Home Security DIY system to integrate into my Homeseer and SS looks like it is far better than Nest and Ring! I really like the new v3 Keypads! I may just have to drop Nest altogether and sell on Craigslist and replace with all SS devices. I am just waiting on the doorbell and a door lock too (which i hear they are releasing soon.)

Comment

XboxMeister - thank you! I fully intend on purchasing a Simply Safe alarm system this weekend and I will support your plugin and purchase it as well
            I will also post pics of my setup and give your plugin a review (both here and on the Homeseer shop). If you want me to beta test the 10-second polling please let me know because I would like to configure these devices as close to realtime as possible within HS3. FYI - Life360 also has a 60-second default to poll devices and I changed it to 10 seconds on the plugin configuration page in HS3. If that option is available in your plugin configuration page let me know and I can change it there. My HS3 server is fast enough to handle the constant polling and I haven't had any issue with Life360 or my HS3 web server.

I am very excited to try this out. Also, can you view the SS camera feeds in Chrome? I am thinking about getting an indoor camera and seeing if I can do the same thing I did with my Nest Cameras and put the URL in the Cameras tab.

Comment

Great, thank you.

There is currently a polling timer in the config but it is to refresh all the subscription data, alarm state and sensor state and is limited to 15 mins minimum as most of that data rarely changes if ever, Within the plug-in I have the timer set for 60 seconds for alarm and sensor updates. It's not so much an issue of HS3 server performance as what the SS service will tolerate. If too many connections on the same account are attempted, it will start rejecting them and there are also differences between v2 and v3 speed. 10 seconds wouldn't realistically work for v2 systems but I am considering providing an option for just v3 systems to go faster.

Sorry, can't answer the Chrome question. I have not tried it and don't use Chrome generally. I have only viewed them in the SS app. Perhaps others have some insight on that.

-XM

Comment

XboxMeister, I am looking into this system as well but curious to know if you have to get a subscription to use it with HS3? I would like to test and familiarize the family with it before paying to monitor and call the police

Thanks

Comment

The key is whether you have access to the system through their app/web site. If you do, the PI will work. I’ve heard you need a subscription for this but as I have a subscription for both my systems I can’t confirm that is the case. I would check with SS and see if app access requires a subscription for monitoring.

Comment

i checked around and found this info below and it looks like i would need the 24 plan to get it to work remotely for sure and access the dashboard online

MFor monitoring, there's a basic $14.99 per month Standard plan that includes 24/7 coverage. If a sensor is triggered, SimpliSafe will contact you, and if you don't provide a safe word that you designate during setup, police will be dispatched. For $10 more per month, the Interactive plan adds SMS and email alerts, the ability to use the Online Dashboard for finer control of the system (more on that in a minute), and the app to arm and disarm the system. If you opt for the $14.99 plan, you can use the online dashboard to see your timeline of system events, but you can't control the system remotely.

Comment

So you can't use this plugin if you do not pay the monitoring fees? I'd like to test one of these systems but I'm not willing to pay yet another monthly fee.
                      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

XboxMeister, a quick question for you. I currently have a Wink system for home automation. I have z-wave window sensors from Dome. If I was to switch to homeseer for automation and Simplisafe for security, will I need to switch out all my sensors to simplisafe door and window sensors?

Comment

Well SimpliSafe has their own wireless sensors and they are not z-wave based so the SS system wouldn't be able to see/use your current sensors. So if you wanted your SS system to monitor all of those entries, you'd have to switch them out. Now of course you can keep those z-wave entry sensors and tie them into HomeSeer and create responses to them changing state (e.g., open/close) but there's no way to connect that in with the SS system. In other words if you kept your existing sensors you could monitor them and set off some sort of alarm, ... but it wouldn't be the SS alarm nor would SS be aware that there was an issue.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Originally posted by argonz4802 View Post
                          XboxMeister, a quick question for you. I currently have a Wink system for home automation. I have z-wave window sensors from Dome. If I was to switch to homeseer for automation and Simplisafe for security, will I need to switch out all my sensors to simplisafe door and window sensors?

Comment

Thanks, new to homeseer, so I was looking at SS after doing some reading. Maybe that just using without SS is the way to go. Thanks

Comment

I loaded the SS plug in, set up my SS username and password, plug-in status says successfully logged into my account but I never see my SS devices and then after about a minute I get a critical message saying CRITICAL: plug in has disconnected. It will keep cycling trying to log in and then I get this message. Can anyone help?

Edit: Xboxmeister, the creator of the plug-in was incredibly responsive in finding that the problem I was having had to do with my auxiliary sirens. He updated the plug-in and all is working!

Comment

Working...
                              X