Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone test ELK C1M1 with this plugin?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anyone test ELK C1M1 with this plugin?

    Anyone venture down the path of using a ELK C1M1 dual path communicator with this plugin?
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

    #2
    I'm hoping to get started with this and have been using C1M1 after my XEP died and wonder if you have had any luck? Could I still use the serial port if I'm using the C1M1?
    Thanks

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by dkemme View Post
      I'm hoping to get started with this and have been using C1M1 after my XEP died and wonder if you have had any luck? Could I still use the serial port if I'm using the C1M1?
      Thanks
      Did you ever find out if the C1M1 will work? I'm just starting out with both HS and ELK M1. I haven't set up the C1M1 yet (waiting on the extended antenna to boost the signal). I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking about connecting it without the antenna signal to see if I can start programming (RP2) via the C1M1.

      Comment


        #4
        Yes, the plugin works. I have been using it for the past 2-3 years. There are some differences, like you can't use rules to send emails (using the C1M1) and stuff like that. It (C1M1) essentially is a TCP to serial (on M1G) pass-through... You can not use the serial port on the M1G for anything else, but that was not possible with the XEP either. Yes, I think that you can program with antenna.

        Are you sure that you have reception issues? I have the extended antenna and don't think that it made a big difference. I dunno..

        Let me know if you need help. I also had to work with ELK support on firmware changes. Unfortunately, unlike the XEP, the C1M1 can not be field firmware upgraded! So, yes, if you need firmware updates, then you will need to send it back to ELK.

        Do you already have an alarm monitoring company that will support the C1M1? I guess it is a little different for them to service you. So, if this is a big deal, then I would contact your company first to ensure that they can support monitoring via C1M1.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

        Comment


          #5
          The C1M1 directions make reference to "Dealer Only" setup things. Possible to do this on my own still?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	telguard.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1377477

          Comment


            #6
            Not sure what you're trying to do. Let me approach this subject this way. I am sure that ELK has some videos on the C1M1. You might want to watch/listen them.

            With the XEP, one could do their own monitoring with the XEP sending you an email based on some rule, right? Well, that is no longer possible. Rules still work as they did before, with the exception that one is not able to have the XEP send emails. Note that the M1G couldn't send emails by itself. It was the XEP that could do that. This functionality did not get put into the C1M1. Note that one can do this via HS email functionality still.

            So, if you want a commercial monitoring solution through a central office, then yes you will need an Alarm company to set up the notification between the C1M1 to their central office. I used a commercial alarm company which had expertise and no issues setting this up. Their support staff will work with you to configure the ELK and the C1M1, and their central datacenter, to do all of this.

            If you want a reference of a Alarm company that has the expertise (at least at the time I set this up with them 2 years ago) then send me private mail. I have no financial interests in this space.

            Hope this helps.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

            Comment


              #7
              If you read the manual.... The connection between ELK Link and Telguard's network is why you need a commercial monitoring company. And why it is Dealer only. The Alarm company that I worked through is the "dealer" or broker in terms of setting up the connection. It is my understanding that you can still buy it elsewhere.

              In term of the configuration, the Alarm company that I use worked with me over the phone to set everything up. So, depending on your Alarm company, you do not need someone to come to your house. You can still be the installer, and retain installer rights.

              I have three-path monitoring... Cellular, Internet, and Phone line. I'll probably drop the phone line soon... Was just an experiment to see if it would work.
              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks Krumpy - excellent explanation. PM sent.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                  Yes, the plugin works. I have been using it for the past 2-3 years. There are some differences, like you can't use rules to send emails (using the C1M1) and stuff like that. It (C1M1) essentially is a TCP to serial (on M1G) pass-through... You can not use the serial port on the M1G for anything else, but that was not possible with the XEP either. Yes, I think that you can program with antenna.

                  Are you sure that you have reception issues? I have the extended antenna and don't think that it made a big difference. I dunno..

                  Let me know if you need help. I also had to work with ELK support on firmware changes. Unfortunately, unlike the XEP, the C1M1 can not be field firmware upgraded! So, yes, if you need firmware updates, then you will need to send it back to ELK.

                  Do you already have an alarm monitoring company that will support the C1M1? I guess it is a little different for them to service you. So, if this is a big deal, then I would contact your company first to ensure that they can support monitoring via C1M1.

                  Thank you Krumpy - I saw earlier where someone was happy with AlarmRelay for monitoring and that they were able to help them set up the C1M1, so I'm going to give them a try, in fact, I've already signed up with them. (Thanks for your offer though.) Yes, AlarmRelay claims to have ELK experts on their staff that can walk me through the setup over the phone.
                  I was getting between 0 and 1, but mostly 0 for reception. The unit is in the basement utility where cell coverage is really weak. I have 3 2" conduit from that room to the attic,so plan to put the antenna in the attic.

                  At this point I've only connect power to the C1M1 to check the signal. I was going to try connecting the rest of the wires and see if I can begin programming without the C1M1 connected to the antenna or configured. Haven't had the time yet. Hoping to start this next week. Also, the antenna should come in by then. I'll let you know how things go. And, probably be asking more questions. :-)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                    I have three-path monitoring... Cellular, Internet, and Phone line.
                    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you monitor via internet if the XEP can't send emails?

                    On related note, what other XEP functionality do you give up with the C1M1?
                    Mark

                    Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
                    BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm still waiting on a extension cable to get better reception, but I was surprised this morning to see on the C1M1 that my cell signal strength is now 4. It had been a solid 0. Maybe a new tower went up. I'm still going to wait on the extended antenna jbefore I get set up with AlarmRely just in case what I'm seeing today is a fluke. However, I will keep checking this to see if it changes.

                      In the meantime, I connected the remaining lines on the C1M1 and found that I can now program via the USB port on the C1M1 or via the network, which is great. Now, I can start the RP2 programming from the comfort of my desk as opposed to standing up in the utility room.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Finally received the antenna and ran it up to the attic and found that i miscalculated by several feet and had to install a 25' extension cable. (ELK says 30' total is the max, but I'm at 43' with no issues.) Now, I get a solid "4" and sometimes "5" signal strength on the C1M1. Worked with AlarmRelay, who were experts at helping me get everything set up. When there was an issue they couldn't solve on their own, they phoned ELK support, with AlarmRelay playing the role of the installer and me the "technician" on site. I really enjoyed working with these folks and have everything up and running.

                        Next, I've got to load the ELK plugin and see what info I can share between the systems.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by MSG56 View Post
                          Finally received the antenna and ran it up to the attic and found that i miscalculated by several feet and had to install a 25' extension cable. (ELK says 30' total is the max, but I'm at 43' with no issues.) Now, I get a solid "4" and sometimes "5" signal strength on the C1M1. Worked with AlarmRelay, who were experts at helping me get everything set up. When there was an issue they couldn't solve on their own, they phoned ELK support, with AlarmRelay playing the role of the installer and me the "technician" on site. I really enjoyed working with these folks and have everything up and running.

                          Next, I've got to load the ELK plugin and see what info I can share between the systems.
                          I'll be interested to hear how the plugin functions.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X