Can't connect with HomeTroller Zee S2 over serial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect with HomeTroller Zee S2 over serial

I can't seem to get my Elk M1G communicating with my HomeTroller Zee S2.
    I have gone in to ElkRP and made sure that the Serial Port Transmit Options are all selected. I also updated my Elk firmware to make sure that wasn't the problem (it is at 5.3.10 now).
    The Zee S2 doesn't have a serial port so obviously I am using a USB to RS232 adapter cable. I have attempted to use 4 different types of these cables but it doesn't seem to make a difference. After I plug them in, they always show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 in the UltraM1G3 options page.

When I go into the device list, the UltraM1G3 Plugin status is Disconnected. When I select Reconnect from the drop-down box, my Log says this:
    Jan-01 2:18:09 PM Informational Could not communicate with Elk M1 ...
    Jan-01 2:18:06 PM Informational Updating ELK M1 internal real-time clock to 1/1/2018 2:18:06 PM
    Jan-01 2:18:03 PM 1 Error System.InvalidOperationException: Queue empty. at System.Collections.Queue.Dequeue () <0x7491fb7c + 0x00118> in :0 at HSPI_ULTRAM1G3.hspi_plugin.ProcessCommandQueue () <0x72d08138 + 0x00b47> in :0
    Jan-01 2:18:03 PM 1 Error System.InvalidOperationException
    Jan-01 2:18:03 PM Informational Updating ELK M1 internal real-time clock to 1/1/2018 2:18:03 PM
    Jan-01 2:18:00 PM Informational Updating ELK M1 internal real-time clock to 1/1/2018 2:18:00 PM
    Jan-01 2:18:00 PM Informational Attemping initial communication with Elk M1 ...
    Jan-01 2:18:00 PM Informational Running version has changed, forcing full data download from Elk M1 System ...
    The Status page for the plugin says this:
    Plug-In Status
    Name: UltraM1G3
    Version: 3.0.6551.16372
    Elk M1 Panel Status
    Connection Status: Connected
    M1 Firmware: Unknown
    M1XEP Firmware: Unknown
    Commands In Queue: 0
    Last Receive Event: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
    I have tried rebooting the Zee S2 as well as rebooting the M1G but those don't help.

Here is my system profile in case you need it:
    Current Date/Time: 1/1/2018 2:41:15 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 1 Day 0 Hours 23 Minutes 48 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.134
    Number of Devices: 23
    Number of Events: 6
    Available Threads: 390

Enabled Plug-Ins
    0.0.0.40: Current Cost 3P
    3.0.6551.16372: UltraM1G3
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
    Like a lot of people, this plugin is one of the reasons I got this system! What can I do to get this working?

Ok, so that are a couple of potential things happening here.

First, the Raspberry PI is notorious for continuously switching the com port number. Maybe this happens with all Linux systems...

On every boot, you will need to ensure that the com port is correct. It might use a different number as apparently it changes them frequently. I have run into this with usb to serial ports using other plugins/software as well. This is documented and if you search, then you will see this as well.

If you just have one then it isn’t too bad to identify. I had three once and it was a problem to identify which serial hardware device used which port number.

Remember that it could change on every boot. If you look at the text on boot then it will give you a clue on which port number it is using. There is a command that can be run from command line - don’t have it at handy at the moment.

Have you confirmed that the baud rate matches with what the panel is configured for?

Have you ever got it to work?
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I have definitely noticed that the com ports switch around when you have multiple usb-to-serial adapters. But this is not the problem with my setup. I do currently have 2 usb adapters. One is used im a different plugin and it works perfectly without failure even after multiple reboots of the system.
      I have also attempted to get this working with only the M1G adapter plugged in without any luck.
      No, I have not got anything to work yet. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you want to use the Elk UltraM1G3 HSPI under linux, then you'll need to use the M1XEP. The serial port connection under Linux does not currently work.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I agree with Krumpy. I originally thought that the HomeSeer/UltraM1G was a better solution than the XEP.
            I was lead to believe that UltraM1G would work over serial port using Linux. When you look on the plugins page, it says that it works in Win/Linux. Maybe this should be changed to say something about "only with XEP"?

You can probably understand my disappointment after purchasing the HomeTroller Zee S2 and expecting that everything would work as advertised. An XEP module would cost me another $300 CDN. I'm not prepared to spend that much money on it.

Ultrajones, is there any way I can assist you in getting this plugin working over a serial connection? I am an embedded programmer and have experience with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePPL View Post
              I agree with Krumpy. I originally thought that the HomeSeer/UltraM1G was a better solution than the XEP.
              I was lead to believe that UltraM1G would work over serial port using Linux. When you look on the plugins page, it says that it works in Win/Linux. Maybe this should be changed to say something about "only with XEP"?

You can probably understand my disappointment after purchasing the HomeTroller Zee S2 and expecting that everything would work as advertised. An XEP module would cost me another $300 CDN. I'm not prepared to spend that much money on it.

Ultrajones, is there any way I can assist you in getting this plugin working over a serial connection? I am an embedded programmer and have experience with Linux.
              Unlike other hardware vendors, Elk has never provided or offered to provide any hardware for testing, so it's very difficult at this point to properly test serial connectivity. I recently asked Rich for guidance on serial connectivity in MONO, so I'll review his email reply to see if I can at least get the plug-in to point at the proper serial port. Look for an update from me later today.
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Hello ThePPL,

What USB/RS232 cable adapter are you using?

Comment

Note: I just sent a query to Elk to see if they have spare hardware I can use for testing serial connectivity.

Comment

Would Ser2Net work? I would think so... There is a network to serial driver for the RPI that allows a RPI to be a network to serial converter. Once this software is installed, then one can address the ELK via the RPI’s network address. Have not tried this myself yet.

It might be easier than code a rs232 Routine into the plugin.

See https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=190911 for more info..
                    Last edited by Krumpy; January 15, 2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                      Hello Krumpy,

The plug-in already has RS232 routines. I just never tested them under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                        What USB/RS232 cable adapter are you using?
                        I have tried a few different USB/RS232 cable adapters.
                        One is an FTDI based adapter that shows up as "USB Serial Port" in Windows
                        I have tried two Prolific based adapters. They show up as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" in Windows.
                        I have also tried one that shows up as "ATEN USB to Serial Bridge" under Windows

Comment

I now have the equipment I need to complete the USB to Serial testing under Linux. I'll need at least a week to get it all connected.

Regards,
                          Ultrajones

Comment

That is great to hear UltraJones! Good luck with the debugging. If you need some kind of Beta tester, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Otherwise, hopefully there is a way I can get my Trial period reset after it is all ready to test.

Comment

I figured out why it wasn't working under the HomeTrollerZeeS2V2. For reasons unknown, mono does not implement SerialPort.DataReceived. I have implemented a work around and it appears to be working well. I need to add code so that only HomeSeer running under Linux uses this method as I don't want to potentially impact anyone running HomeSeer under Windows when connected to their Elk M1 via a serial port.

Regards,
                              Ultrajones

Comment

Working...
                              X