No announcement yet.

System.NullReferenceException after upgraded HS3 from 3.0.0.368 to 3.0.0.435

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultrajones, I've corresponded with Brad Weeks of Elk support and after he analyzed the traffic to my XEP he asked me a few questions that I don't have answers to:

1) There are a number of TC messages - up to 5 per second. This could very well be causing communication problems. TC is for Task Change --- what is the purpose of requesting the TC command and would it be possible to reduce the number of request.
    The few rules I have setup using M1 Tasks are one off rules and not reoccurring rules, so I don't know what he is referring to.

2) Home Seer is repeatedly asking for Counter Values - over and over again. Do you know why this would be the case?
    I guess he is referring to the Elk M1 Polling Options that are set to "All Defined Counters" "Every 60secs".

Comment

UltraM1G3 connectivity settings:
      Attempts per command "2"
      Wait time per command "2.5"

Comment

Just an observation: Not every time, but many times this "Informational" is logged right after the Systm.NullReferenceException Error
        Oct-05 7:57:56 AM Informational Elk M1XEP firmware version 2.0.42 detected.
        Oct-05 7:57:56 AM Informational Elk M1 firmware version 5.2.10 detected.
        Oct-05 7:57:55 AM Error Data that caused error in ProcessCommand() subroutine: Len=0C, Cmd=ZV, Data=000000, Reserved=00
        Oct-05 7:57:55 AM 1 Error System.NullReferenceException: Object variable or With block variable not set. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container..ct or(Object Instance) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.Object LateInvokeDefault(Object Instance, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Boolean ReportErrors, Boolean[] CopyBack) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.Intern alLateInvokeDefault(Object Instance, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Boolean ReportErrors, Boolean[] CopyBack) at HSPI_ULTRAM1G3.hspi_plugin.ProcessCommand(String strLen, String strCmd, String strData, String strReserved)
        Oct-05 7:57:55 AM 1 Error System.NullReferenceException

Comment

Is he looking at the output after the plug-in starts up? If yes, there are *hundreds* of queries that occur fairly quickly to ensure the plug-in and the Elk M1 are synchronized. Once that's complete, the communications between HomeSeer and the Elk M1 should be only as needed (e.g. the Elk M1 sends a status update or the plug-in controls something).

My plug-in follows the Elk M1 API documentation regarding the number of queries allowed per second. If Elk Support says that the guideline has changed, then please let me know.
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

For the record, the UltraM1G3 plug-in is fairly mature code. It's been around long enough so that all major and most minor bugs have been found and fixed. I have been running the Elk M1 plug-in with my Elk M1 / Elk M1 XEP for almost 10 years with just a handful of communication errors.

Can you tell me something about your Elk M1 system that may be out of the ordinary?

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I'm checking with M1 support regarding what he is seeing.

Another observation: I'm often tweaking (2-3 times/week) the M1 rules as my home remodel evolves. On more than one occasion, after disconnecting with ELKRP the UltraM1G seems to have difficulty syncing up with the M1. I have resolved this by restarting Homeseer/UltraM1G after RP disconnects. I have a rule that does this when "Local Programming Ends" occurs. Occasionally that won't even be detected and I'll have to do it manually.

I'm not sure what is considered ordinary. My setup is as follows:
              Areas: 8 [1 defined]
              Keypads: 16 [1 defined]
              Users: 199 [3 defined]
              Zones: 208 [121 defined]
              Outputs: 208 [206 defined]
              Thermostats: 16 [0 defined]
              CustomSettings: 20 [13 defined]
              Counters: 64 [22 defined]
              Tasks: 32 [32 defined]
              Lighting: 256 [0 defined] (I was using the M1 for lighting by have since deleted everything and migrated it to Homeseer/UPBSpud.)
              AudioZones: 18 [0 defined] (I don't use the AudioZones)

I don't use M1 Wireless devices, telephone or communicator...it's monitored by neighbors with shotguns

Zones, Outputs, Counters & Tasks are not contiguous in the use. An over simplified example: I might have zone 1 and 208 defined in homeseer and not use the ones in the middle.

I'm using the first fifteen inputs on the main board as temperature sensors. (I get lots of erroneous readings from these sensors, but have some workarounds)

I'm often refining rules in M1 and migrating what is appropriate to homeseer due to the fact I'm out of rules space in the M1.

To date, only one keypad has been connected to the M1. More will be added later.

The M1 is used constantly controlling fresh air, makeup air and HVAC Damper in response to defined M1 temperature inputs.

I must use M1 firmware 5.2.10 as others are unstable and cause reboots to M1.

M1 has been installed for several years now. I'm checking with M1 support regarding what he is seeing.

Another observation: I'm often tweaking the M1 rules as my home remodel evolves. On more than one occasion, after disconnecting with ELKRP the UltraM1G seems to have difficulty syncing up with the M1. I have resolved this by restarting Homeseer/UltraM1G after RP disconnects. I have a rule that does this when "Local Programming Ends" occurs. Occasionally that won't even be detected and I'll have to do it manually.

I'm not sure what is considered ordinary. My setup is as follows:
              Areas: 8 [1 defined]
              Keypads: 16 [1 defined]
              Users: 199 [3 defined]
              Zones: 208 [121 defined]
              Outputs: 208 [206 defined]
              Thermostats: 16 [0 defined]
              CustomSettings: 20 [13 defined]
              Counters: 64 [22 defined]
              Tasks: 32 [32 defined]
              Lighting: 256 [0 defined] (I was using the M1 for lighting by have since deleted everything and migrated it to Homeseer/UPBSpud.)
              AudioZones: 18 [0 defined] (I don't use the AudioZones)

I don't use M1 Wireless devices, telephone or communicator...it's monitored by neighbors with shotguns

Zones, Outputs, Counters & Tasks are not contiguous in the use. An over simplified example: I might have zone 1 and 208 defined in homeseer and not use the ones in the middle.

I'm using the first fifteen inputs on the main board as temperature sensors. (I get lots of erroneous readings from these sensors, but have some workarounds)

I'm often refining rules in M1 and migrating what is appropriate to homeseer due to the fact I'm out of rules space in the M1.

To date, only one keypad has been connected to the M1. More will be added later.

The M1 is used constantly controlling fresh air, makeup air and HVAC Damper in response to defined M1 temperature inputs. I use M1 attached motions sensors to trigger rules in Homeseer. Apart from an occasional brain fart, I'm very conscious about limiting the need for communication between the M1 & Homeseer.

I must use M1 firmware 5.2.10 as others are unstable and cause reboots to M1.

M1 has been installed for several years now.

Comment

UltraJones, I have not been able to get specifics on what Brad Weeks of Elk support was seeing whether it was burst traffic from a sync or constant TC messages. When I ask a second time for anything that might help, he sent me a revised ELK-M1_RS232_PROTOCOL+Ver+1.84 (Revised Feb 2016) that you likely already have, but I'll pass along to you.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X