Few questions for upcoming install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions for upcoming install

Thanks Ultra for you contributions. I'm installing an Elk shortly as the client loves the look of their flush mount keypads. Don't plan on using any of automation functions as HS will be handling 100% of these aspects.

The Elk M1 hardware and flush mount keypads will be replacing an already install DSC system. No sensor or wiring changes and no wireless at this stage.

Questions:

Interestingly for the first time I have read no stability issues with this security plugin. If so...kudos to you. So...is this plugin totally stable?

I will have the option of serial OR ethernet. Which is preffered? Any benefit to either? Which is the default method to minimize custom configuration

Key features for my client are: HS calls their cell phone when alarm breach, phone house and arm security or get security status, remote access via Web (I saw this on your demo). So...no issues on any of the above? All confirmed 100% operational in real world?

What thermostats are you all using with this plugin? Any zone limit numbers?

Has anyone built a MainLobby scene for this plugin yet?

Best place to buy the Elk MI and what hardware components or Elk M1 package required? SmartHome seems pretty limited in their stock on the flush mount keypads.

Thanks Ultrajones for your contributions.

So far I've been 100% stable on the plugin for a number of past releases including the current.

I went Ethernet, it gives you the option of a web server to access the elk from the local lan (or VPN if you have it). Upcoming monitoring from the internet (waiting on providers not Elk) was one factor in my decision. The Ethernet module connects to the serial port on the Elk. If cost was no object, it makes programming the Elk MUCH simpler than having to disconnect the serial port all the time. Serial removes the cost of the ethernet unit, but then your HS box has to be in range of a serial cable (about 50' max with a good cable). Go with the Elk M1 Gold - a ton more flexible than the ez8 unit.

Elk can do all the calling, and you might want it to handle all the "alarm" based stuff. Why add in a 2nd system to the mix when security of the home is involved? Something to think about, how many phone lines (or SIP) will they have? If the elk is being connected to a monitoring station, it needs to be the first device on the chain with the x31 jack - it will cut off the house to call in the alert. If this is the case, HS won't be able to call out for any reason in this situation.

I'm using the RCS RS485 units with a serial expander into the Elk. 4 thermostats on a zone system, and both the Elk and HS can control/monitor the whole works. Works like a charm.

Something to take into consideration: I make sure every system (lights, alarm, HVAC) will operate on it's own if another part of the HA system fails. That way you know the heat will turn on, or the fire alarm will be sent, if some other part of the HA system is down. Every part of the system communicates to each other while everything is operational, so you gain all the benefits of the system as a whole, but no 1 part takes down critical operations of the house.

Think if you have HS loaded up, and it's doing the alarm "calling" and controlling the heat/cooling of the house. HS looses a hard drive, you now have a house that's vulnerable till you can replace the HD, restore from backups (you were doing that right?) and get everything back to spec.

Best place to buy - I always end up going to Automated Outlet. Never had an issue, and they have always been very helpful with my "but I thought it should be able to do that" questions Another good place is iautomate.com, but once and a while it's hard to reach someone to answer questions.

Comment

Joel,

Thanks for the feedback. if ELK does the "phone out" as you have it configed, are you able to phone in and arm it or get status? Can ELK and HS phone integration co-exist?

I agree with independent operations. Really is really about HS primarily monitoring the system for ease of use and touchscreen (mainlobby) integration.

The server going in this job is a serious IT commercial grade dual Xeon 4gig ECC and Hotswap Raid 5 seagates.

Comment

I actually use an Asterisk server (VoIP) for my home, it's a PBX so the elk and HS each have their own extensions. I have enough trunks going out so both could work at the same time.

They should be able to co-exist, though HS has a better phone implementation as far as what you can do. The big issue would be on the dial in implementation, if there is 1 phone line who answers first? Elk, HS, or the answering machine?

I hope your going to do more with the server than just HS, that's a lot of power/heat for what the app really needs

Comment

There's a fancy Panasonic phone system going in...don't have the model number on me and that's not my area of expertise really. Yea...it's a smoking machine to cover future growth options for the client...who just happens to love home control toys. It's of course about reliability and this server should do nicely. There will also be 2x M-AUdio Delta 1010 rackmounts for distributed audio and 16 serial ports for 2way control integration (AV equipment, Relays, Pool etc)...you get the picture.

Sounds like the Ethernet is the best connection...no issue there on the 16 port managed gigbit switch.

Comment

Make sure you get a duplicate setup for your house so you can run all rule changes through a test bed first

Comment

The house already has a working DSC. This is getting ripped out for the Elk and those slick flush LCD keypads. A security installer in doing the panel and keypad swap.

There will be several phone lines coming into the new house (house, office, fax etc). I am going to use HSPHone with the Way2call for VR (local and remote). This will be on the house line.

It makes sense to use one of the office lines as the Elk Line...fax which means relatively little use

Questions:
              Is it relatively easy to setup the ELK for things like call out and general independent programming?
              You have found zero issue with the HS/ELK when HS is really only just listening? False triggers from HS?
              Do you ever use this plugin to call home and arm or disarm?

Another aspect of this project HD DVR. There will be only 2 high quality IP sony cameras. I'd like them to stream at 30fps and record at 30fps. Obviously a OCX for web or LAN (WebLobby) viewing, starte recording when movement detected AND Elk is armed. PC or HD based. Point me in the right direction for a high quality unit? Even better, one that ALSO includes a switcher so I could have it also come up on the plasmas if desired.

Looks familiar but something like these may do yes?

http://www.argusurveillance.com/prod...0eeabb44fe9ac2

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/D...ch_Platnum.asp

Thanks for all the input. As always HS forums are a wealth of knowledge.

Here is the house http://754.dennehy.net
              Last edited by kevind; April 4, 2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X