weather warnings on elk keypad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weather warnings on elk keypad

I finally installed the elk m1 and remember reading about sending weather warnings to the keypad as text; however many months have passed since. Could someone please point me in the right direction as I am not able to find the post.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...essage+display

Comment

Will40,
      I have found that post while searching however, it is not the one I was looking for. I have set up the current temp for outside to display on the keypads and was wanting to setup an alert to all keypads when a Tornado Warning is issued for our area.

Comment

How are you getting the weather warnings now?
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Using the weather warnings script. It creates a house code in homeseer for each warning and I am only interested in the Tornado Warnings. I have seen it, Feb '08, when we had 2 different Tornado warnings issued within minutes of each other due to multiple storm systems. During that time we actually had as many as 8 different types of warnings, which created 8 different house codes in HS. It does not set a device value and I do not know how to write script to do so. I thought I saw a post where it described how to integrate with the Elk but that was about 2 to 3 years ago. I appreciate your help and love the plug-in, WAF way up!!
          Last edited by ghostrider1111; March 31, 2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider1111 View Post
            Using the weather warnings script. It creates a house code in homeseer for each warning and I am only interested in the Tornado Warnings. I have seen it, Feb '08, when we had 2 different Tornado warnings issued within minutes of each other due to multiple storm systems. During that time we actually had as many as 8 different types of warnings, which created 8 different house codes in HS. It does not set a device value and I do not know how to write script to do so. I thought I saw a post where it described how to integrate with the Elk but that was about 2 to 3 years ago. I appreciate your help and love the plug-in, WAF way up!!
            I am not familiar with that script and I assume you mean it creates a seperate HS device using a different house code for each warning.

Would you have an example of the device it creates and a typical string it would contain?

You would be able to have that device string report to the Elk keypad. The problem is triggering the event to place it there without running a recurring event. If the value or status of the device changed you could trigger on either of those but you cannot trigger an event on a device string change.

If any information from the severe weather script updates a value or status on another device associated with a tornado such as wind speed, than you could use that device to trigger the event to display the device string on the keypad.

If you post a sample result of a tornado warning we would be able to better help you.

Comment

That is correct, it does create a virtual device house code. I have attached a copy of the script and the warnings that are currently issued.
              The only thing that I can see pushing to the Elk is the Device String. Everything else has either unknown or a 0 value to it. If I tried to send every warning to the keypad, then I would be listening to it all the time, especially this time of year.
              Attached Files

Comment

yeah, thats alot of information to send to the ELK KP.

Are there any weather websites or local TV channel websites that could email you a warning?

I use Jon00's email package to parse emails I have sent to me from my local TV station when the school in town is cancelled or delayed.

Depending on the body of the email it either shuts off the kids' rooms speaker alarm or gives them another hour of sleep.

It works great and is simple.

Sorry I can't help much with that script.

Comment

I will take a look at Jon00's email package. I appreciate the help and will probably have many more questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X