Elk M1 Hardware Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk M1 Hardware Installed

After months of looking at different Security Hardware I went for the M1. So far it looks promising and have been programing it with the Elf RP software over serial com.

Im having issue with my PS Windows OS or HS Pro so I cant get this Ultra plugin to connect with my Elk M1. I highly doubt it has anything to do with Ultras plugin as so many other of my plugins dont work. Anyways, thats not why I am posting here.

How does everyone like the interface between Elk M1 & HS?

Being HS is interfaced with the M1, how did everyone plan there zones?

I noticed that after I first planned my M1 system (16 planned zones) and was pulling all the zone wires, I thought of better ideas such as breaking almost every door or opening into its on zone. If there were multiple windows in one room that would be a zone, but if there was a door that would be a different zone. The reason for that idea was to use them all as triggers to shut off the HVAC Zone if a door or window was left open. I'm sure I will think of more later and at the cheap cost of wire and decent cost of an zone expander I thought why not.

Whats the most common use everyone uses the M1 for in HS Pro?

Did anyone use the Touchscreen Keypad, LCD Keypad, or the LED Arming Keypad that fits in a single gang box?

Anyone using Motion Sensor with through the M1?

What about Smoke & CO detectors?

Any suggestions to someone that just finished the core hardware install?

Thanks

Charlie
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

100 views and two months with no comment.

( I think this M1 Unit has to be and will be one of the most used components for inputs triggers in my system. Endless possibilities with motion, contact switches, alarm state, relay control and more.

Anyone got anything to share from their experiences?

I see most elect for the DSC hardware as its initially cheaper but with a plugin like ultras the M1 seems boundless.

Thanks guys
    Charlie
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Not sure how much this helps but I am using the Elk M1 as a way to transition a lot of automation from my Stargate to Homeseer. I am starting off with 128 hardwired inputs and a yet undetermined number of wireless zones. Basically I am using the first 16 Elk zones for temperature sensors. I am wiring the next 80 zones in series with my old Stargate inputs so any closure is seen by both the Stargate and the Elk... this will let me transition functionality over time rather all at once. The final 32 hardwired zones will be fire and security.

I like to use 66blocks to connect the fixed premise wiring to the Elk panel I run wire from the panel to one set of blocks and the wiring out to various remote devices goes on another set of blocks. That way I can easily make changes without fiddling with the panel again or putting wear and tear on the fixed premise wires.

Comment

I have HS Pro and the Elk M1G. I haven't really set up touchscreens to access the Elk. I have four KP2 keypads, three near the entrances downstairs, and one in the Master Suite upstairs. I'm just starting to design my next home, and will likely get the KPNAV instead of the KP2.

Security is too important to bring an intermediary like HomeSeer into the mix. I do use Ultrajones UltraM1G plugin to control lights and other items based on alarm status. I've been very happy with the plugin.

Good luck,
        Kevin

Comment

I have an Elk M1G. I use the UltraM1G plugin to interface to HS Pro via the Elk Ethernet module. I think the Ultra plugin integration is great. I use the Elk as the eyes and ears to HS and use HS events for automation. I don't use the Elk programming capabilities.

As far as wiring goes, I've got every window pane (top/bottom) and every door as a separate zone. That way, if a zone is violated, I know exactly which one to close. I'm using four expander boards, 68 zones, 4 KPs with the temperature sensor built in, RCS TR60 stat via another Elk module.

Motion detectors are still wired via serial IO boards to HS -- been meaning to move them to the Elk panel. Smokes/Fire/CO are still standalone -- more laziness on my part -- intending to get them moved over, as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the all the replies.

Some good points yall made.

I like the idea of the 66 blocks. Ive maxed out my initial 16 zones and need to expand more for motion, fire, to further break down a couple zones I have already. With the small enclosure that came with the elk I'm running low on room to pull wire in. I was considering starting a sub pannel that will be connected via the expander block cabling.
            Upstatemike, What type of temp sensors are u running with the M1? I want temp/humidity sensors and was considering a temp08 for that job but this might bring new ideas.

Yall talked about the touch screens or the KPs for access. I went a little different way and choose the KPAS for its discreteness. It's almost hidden and not noticeably. It's my intention to have users interface with the HS Touch screens but having a KPAS at ever entry provides the reliability for the M1.

Something I've done for temporary is use the speaker with the M1 kit to notify us when specific doors open, specifically the doors to the pool area. This is a precautionary measure due to my infant son.

anyone using Key Fobs?

Are you guys using Serial or LAN to connect to the M1?

Are u using telephone blocks such as http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251 or are u wiring them in as Elk states in the manual?

Thanks guys for you input and ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post

Upstatemike, What type of temp sensors are u running with the M1? I want temp/humidity sensors and was considering a temp08 for that job but this might bring new ideas.

Are you guys using Serial or LAN to connect to the M1?

I'm just using Elk Temp sensors made for the M1 so no humidity. My M1 is LAN connected.

Comment

Running HS2 with a touch screen and my ELKM1G. They work together through the Lan using the M1XEP. I have almost every Door/Window wired individually as a seperate zone. using the ELK-M1DBH and Several Expander cards to get the number of zone.

I do have a keypad connected, but hidden in a closet. Everything is done through Homeseer/HSTouch.

I have a few zone that I couldn't wire up connected Wirelessly.

Also using the ELK to monitor Temperatures through the keypad as well through ELK-M1ZTS Zone Temperature Sensors. Also have several Wireless Water Leak detectors.

I don't have any motion at the moment, but those will be added.

Also have 5 Zwave Locks connected directly to Homeseer for additional security.

Comment

Hello Raptor,

Seen your HS Touch setup in your YouTube video, Way COOL. Love layout of your home with the locations of all your devices. That's just the setup I desire with HS Touch as the main interface for the whole house while still have the controls hidden or discrete for each system. As others stated its important to have control of your systems outside of HS but I think its attractive to have all users interface with one device for simplicity.

One idea I have for my future set up is when Elk is armed to have the HS Touch Screen with a designed keypad like that of the Elk model. HS Touch won't go to another screen until the disarm password is entered. This would serve for two purposes, one being that the user won't struggle to find the unlock screen before the alarm & siren go off and second it won't allow burglars to access the system to control cameras or whatever.

The Elk M1 Gold comes with a serial port built in but I see lots have posted they have it hooked up via Elthernet/LAN. What do yall find as a benifit of spending the etra 150-200 dollars for the M1XEP other than remote access to the M1 when the HS server is shut down.

What benifits do yall get from Ethernet connections?

Comment

I found one issue with running serial ports for communication.

Ultra helped out fast and updated the plugin because I have the M1 hooked up via serial and lack keypad with a temp sensor.

His comments were "The serial connection does not provide a means of obtaining the firmware version of the Elk M1, so the plug-in falls back to temperature polling. I'll post an update to the plug-in by this weekend that addresses this limitation."

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=160049

Theres many features I noticed that I cant utilize because of this serial setup. Looks like I might have to update with an ELK-M1XEP next time I do more expansions on the system.

Comment

Working...
                    X